If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NER Guards Handlamp

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Ploughman, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have just got a North Eastern Railway Guards Handlamp.
    On the rear of the reflector it is etched with the letters N.E.R.R.H. ?
    The last letter I cannot make out. But has a vertical bar to the left and may have a cross bar at half height.

To me the first 3 would most likely be standing for North Eastern Railway.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to the meaning of the last 3 ?
    Would they be for a Depot location or the initials of a guard that it was issued too?

Any information appreciated.

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Bryan,
    I have an NER handlamp buried in my parents' loft or shed somewhere since they moved house a while ago. I will attempt to remember to dig it out for comparison purposes but it will be next year in all probability.
    Phil

3. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Robin Hood's Bay?

4. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Robin Hoods Bay has been considered but it appears RHB also are the initials of a Lamp Manufacturer.

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Just located mine during a delve into the furthest recesses of my parents' loft. Of course I didn't have this thread to refer to and didn't specifically look at the back of the reflector, so sorry about that! But I did look for writing all over the lamp and didn't notice any there.
    On mine there is writing around the reservoir which holds the parafin, it says 'NER', '3' and 'DEW', each of these being in a box. It also has 'NER' separately on the brass part with the screw in the top, which I guess is some sort of adjuster (sorry I've never tried lighting one of these so not entirely sure which control is what). On the porcelean part it has a logo on the front with what look like three trees, 'TRADE MARK' above and 'SOUND' below, and below that it has what looks like 'S.lo'. On the back of the porcelean part it has 'PATENT LOW CONE 13143'.
    Only the red lens survives on the inside part.

Any info based on the above? What or where is 'DEW'? (And does it sound like we're talking about the same type of lamp?)

I've buried it back in the loft by the way, so any further questions will be subject to a further delay of many more months. Though at least I know which box it is in now.