If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

National Preservation on Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Forum Information' started by stepney60, Feb 13, 2009.

1. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

As a means of encouraging people to join the forum, and in order to raise the profile of the website as a whole, Glyn and myself have created a Wikipedia page for the website

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Preservation

As I am assuming we have people on here who would be vastly more knowledgable about using Wikipedia than either of us two are, would anyone be interested in helping to maintain tha page and bring Nat Pres to the wider audience it deserves? If you feel there is something missing from the page which would be worthwhile adding, then please insert as appropriate.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

2. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello.

Is there any feedback regarding this.

Cheers

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I would put the number of users who have signed up and the number of active users. Plus the average number of users signing up every month.

good article by the way =D>

4. stepney60

Information now added to the page, please post any other additions you would like to see made, or indeed feel free to make them yourselves!

5. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've seen the item on Wikipedia and, whilst I see what you are trying to achieve, it does come across as a bit self-promoting as it stands, and may fall foul of the Wikipedia moderators as a result. I would say it could still be made more encyclopedic in tone and content. I'm not sure how exactly, but I'm willing to have a go - I have been fairly succesful with a number of wikipedia articles on the L&B and other subjects, so I do have a few ideas.

6. stepney60

Please, get stuck in, anyone is welcome to edit it, provided of course it's constructive.

7. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

Currently, Wikipedia considers it foul of their Business articles rules.

Also, it's all very well saying edit it constructivley, and I'm sure that all members on here would, but the problem is that anybody can edit it.

Also, how many people do we expect to read it? It seems to me like only Nat Pres members will, therefore, how will it attract new members?

8. stepney60

They do, but we are working on it. It's not that it's a business that their bot currently doesn't like, it's that the aren't enough links to third party references. However, since the bot last read it it's been considerably updated.

That is true, but there is the option to revert it back quite easily. We have had some users trying to vandalise it, but their efforts were reverted very quickly. Vandalism is a problem on all articles on Wikipedia, but they manage alright.

The number of people who use Wikipedia is far in excess of the number of people who use NP. Given that the cost is nothing to run it, even if it attracts just one new member it will have been worthwhile. Getting your presence out there, on a major website which always comes top of a google search for anything, can't do any harm. In addition to that, even if it is just NP members using it, it would give newer users a chance to see what has happened in the history of the forum and understand it a bit better.

9. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Can Glyn get some more for the online shop and post things such as Bib'N'Braces, Shovels and Railway jackets?? That kind of thing?