If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mk1s - A bit of a User Guide

Discussion in 'Railway Operations M.I.C' started by jez, Feb 20, 2013.

1. jez

jez New Member

Student
    Hi all,

Just thought I'd link to something I've been working on for a bit and recently ported across onto flickr - it's not intended to be a full blown photographic maintenance manual but just a look round a typical Mk1 vehicle with useful pointers of what bits are and how they work.

Mk1 Coach: A Tour - a set on Flickr

As I say I've ported it across recently (it's been on my facebook page until then) so despite best efforts I might have made a typo or miscaption here and there - do let me know if I have, I'll keep an eye on the thread - and if you've any ideas on other things to include or glaring omissions do again let me know. I've put it together mainly as I found that stock knowledge isn't often given as high priority as it should be, and it's often easier to look at a photo to see what's what rather than to just be told "oh, you can turn the lights off directly from the solenoid underneath the regulator box" and expected to understand if you're new to the game.

Hopefully it'll be useful or of interest to at least a couple of people - anyone out there training as a guard? :)

Cheers

Jon

Enterprise likes this.
  2. samuel7802

samuel7802 New Member

Student
    I'm just about to start training as a guard and your guide looks as though it will prove invaluable! Thanks very much for making something like this available on the internet.

Jack Enright likes this.
  3. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Jez - your pics were not entirely authentic - there was no sign of toilet paper in the underframe area:) seriously a good set of pics. SVR and ex KESR guard.

Kje7812 likes this.
  4. Jack Enright

Jack Enright New Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    VERY useful, Jon - and thanks for putting it together! I already work as a signalman, but hope to start training as a guard soon, so I'll be studying this with care. I have worked as a guard on another line, and ran into exactly the problem you describe; "Where's the gizmo? It's right next to the sproggle bracket - you can't miss it!"

Me; "You think?"
    o_O