If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Minimum radius of curves - standard gauge

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Thompson1706, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can anybody tell me what minimum radius of standard gauge track would be in a yard situation.
    This would need to take eight coupled locos.

Bob.

2. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

GWR 42XX/5205 20' wheel base 5 chains slow, 28XX/2884 16' 10" wheel base 6 chains slow, 47XX 20' wheel base 7 chains slow.

3. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Thanks very much for that, you even got one of the classes correct !

Bob.

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    No simple answer to this. Locos usually had a minimum radius quoted on their spec sheet but would quite often negotiate sharper curves. Gauge widening can help with the rigid wheelbase but you can get to the limit of swing of any pony or other truck which no amount of gauge widening will really help with. Buffer locking could also become a problem if there is no transition or, even worse, reverse curves are involved.

DisusedBranch and Wenlock like this.
  5. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    The condition of the loco also makes a difference; an engine that has run a few thousand miles will get round a much tighter radius curve than one with newly overhauled wheelsets and axleboxes.

DisusedBranch, Steve and Wenlock like this.
  6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    So very true.

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The other issue is how much damage to the driving wheel flanges are you prepared to accept if the loco is negotiating the curves regularly?

DisusedBranch and Wenlock like this.
  8. Hirn

Hirn Member

A GWR 47XX 2-8-0 has both side play on the trailing coupled axle and a longer wheel base over the driving wheels than an LNER P2 2-8-2.
    Also GWR frames were thicker and a two cylinder locomotive is inherently easier to brace with stretchers than a chassis with an inside
    connecting rod to be accommodated - which is supported by what happened when Thompson moved the stretchers rebuilding the P2s.

I would take the two above as good outlying pointers especially with the recent work on new builds of both.
    There would be clear military specifications for the various 2-8-0s in both World War I & World II and I think they had flanges on
    all wheels.

By the by the S&DR 2-8-0s don't have a long wheel base but it might be a very rigid one: the frames are remarkably braced with a diaphragm plate
    right across the frames over the coupled axles forward of firebox throat plate. Apparently designed with some thought to be as near to the plane
    of the driving axles as possible - there are rather fetching cutouts to allow the tops of the horn openings around the driving axle boxes through.

9. I love it when a question on this forum starts a thread in which many readers can actually learn something. So much more worth spending never-to-be-regained minutes of our lives visiting NatPres for than pie-in-the-sky WIBN and "The owner of loco X should do this..."

jnc and Wenlock like this.
  10. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    I would go at least 2 chain more than whatever the diagram says.
    If you are able to, lay the curve out to as large a radius as possible don't limit yourself.

11. Aberdare

Aberdare New Member

Hirn,

The S&D 2-8-0's now on the WSR have a longer coupled wheelbase than the GWR 28xx 2-8-0's, but the S&D engines have (very) generous side play in axleboxes, leading and trailing 11/16", intermediate and driving 5/16". Because of this the two centre axles can move 1" laterally relative to the leading and trailing, this is only possible due to the spherical joints in the coupling rods. Although an advantage on sharply curved track it does allow the locomotives to float from side to side on straight track, a rather soporific ride only partially damped out by the friction pads on the pony truck.

Most GWR tender locomotives are what is termed "easy fit" in axlebox clearances, 1/16" total side play for each axle, this made them less able to negotiate sharp curves. If requested I can post on here the GWR document detailing the axlebox side clearances for each class of loco.

An additional problem is that any axle at the extremity of a rigid wheelbase will not be running radially when negotiating a curve and will always be slipping sideways across the railhead, the effect is worse at the leading wheelset hence the desirability of a leading pony or bogie. The force to do this being provided by the flange of the wheel on the high side rail. The practical way to reduce the resultant wear is to provide regular track mounted rail lubricators at the entry to curves, these are remarkably effective if well maintained and kept filled.

Andy.

Jamessquared likes this.
  12. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A locomotive with an equal number of axles (two or four) will traverse curves more easily than one with an odd number of axles (three or five) if the rigid wheel base is the same. That was why the 2-10-0s had flangeless centre driving wheels.