If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway - End of Southern Steam Gala 1-2, 8-9 July 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by steamvideosnet, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Off topic but I remember when I worked with the 50 Fund and 50031 went mainline a certain magazine was rather more informed than it's owners where it was going next...

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

With any luck once MHR mangment see how well Malachite green with British Railways on the tender looks on a Unrebuilt Bulleid light Pacific. We see 34007 returns to steam in the same livery.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. jon5051

jon5051 Member

With the Bulleids all being visitors, will any be allowed to be 'dirty', with end of steam chalk markings etc? Just looking back through old pictures of the gala 10 years ago and it's noticeable how many of the locos are marked up which is very evocative. Same query applies to Swanage I guess.

Of course the gala is not called 'End of Steam' on the MHR website, just called Summer Steam Gala.

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  4. 73082

73082 Member

Perhaps if not then Wadebridge can be done up like that and parked in Ropley yard?

green five likes this.
  5. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Bit of poster paint should do the trick... I'm sure there's someone on here who could help ;);)

6. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    With all the obvious interest in 34081 it would be nice to see more in Malachite livery. Far, far superior livery to BR style green on them, IMHO they look dreary in that. But then everything pre-BR looks worse in BR livery.

7. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    How about Stanier class 5's?

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I recall her being an impressive performer on the Hampshire Alps when she last visited. She made a wonderful noise up the bank to Medstead
    Very much looking forward to her return in the Summer.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hampshire Unit likes this.
  9. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    You've literally quoted the answer.

10. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Hopefully 34007 can be involved in some way during the event. Perhaps posed in the yard or maybe towed along with her rods off by the Class 33 recreating a scrap convoy
    76017 was used for this purpose in 1997 IIRC.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

11. Johnme101

Johnme101 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    In my opinion BR green looks better and the Malachite green is unrealistic for the BR built Bulleids. In my opinion BR Brunswick green is not dull and green looks great on any locomotive. It was colour all Bulleids worn during service and all express locomotives worn it. Every pre-BR does not worse in BR colours and in my opinion some locomotives look. Better in Br colours then big four colours and the BR green come from the great western green. BR colours are the best for any engine as the most common type of coach is BR mark 1. As most people like to see the engines in they BR colours it is how most people remember them back in the day. Most people live remember steam in BR colours.

12. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Spam can in intercity livery?

13. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Unless, of course, you are one of the new generation who doesn't remember BR steam at all... ;)

Generally speaking I prefer pre-1948 liveries, but I will admit that BR green looks OK on the Bulleids.

Bean-counter likes this.
  14. 73129

To many locos are now being painted in BR green or black. It's nice to see pre-1948 liveries. I just hope 850 and 925 don't end up in BR green. All I want is to see them turned around and facing out of Alresford.

Chris86, Spamcan81 and A1X like this.
  15. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Not for some of them - notably 34081 amongst those preserved.

I don't...

In any case it depends why you think people prefer the particular things they do. I'm interested in railways to recreate things I never saw, not things I did see ...

Tom

MuzTrem, Spamcan81 and 8126 like this.
  16. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I remember reading somewhere that 850 would be BR when it returns.

17. 73129

That's a shame. 850 would look great in pre 1948 livery with a few Bulleid coaches. Plus it would fit in well for war on the line event. Let's hope the railway has a change of mind when 850 returns to steam.

A1X likes this.
  18. Johnme101

Johnme101 New Member

In my opinion there is no such thing as too many locomotives in BR green or BR black. I can't see how you have a problem with BR green or BR black. When BR black is basically the same shade as LMS black, LNER black, GWR black and SR black. Apart from the numbers and lettering there are the same. Most locomotives were black during the war and most were not change until early BR days. BR green come from the great western green. The owners choose what colours their locomotives wear and every owner has their reasons for their chosen colour. The colour should not stop from enjoying the locomotive. There not many locomotives wearing BR blue and King Edward II is currently the only operation locomotive in BR blue. Sir Nigel Gresley will be wearing BR blue after back from overhaul and there will be one a SR merchant navy in BR blue at some point.

19. 8126

8126 Member

I thought Colin Chambers was quoted as saying "That will be a decision for my successor."

Personally I'm hoping for a Southern-minded successor, although I'm normally fairly relaxed about liveries for SR locomotives; most of the engines look good in most of the options. The only one I genuinely dislike is wartime/post-war black with the sunshine letters, I just find the visual clash slightly teeth-grinding. But why not recreate 850 as the SR's premier motive power, rather than as one of Eastleigh shed's collection of talismans against being subjected to an allocation of Bulleids?

Like Tom, I don't remember them as either, but I think 850 in malachite has wonderful presence.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  20. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Here is a strong opinion on southern loco liveries from overseas. I like malachite on the unrebuilt bullied pacifics, lord nelsons, king aurthers, schools class of locos. I think BR green looks best on rebuilt bullied pacifics though. I'm really glad 34081 has been turned out the way it has because it adds some variety. I also like the olive green scheme though with big letters and numerals on the tenders for southern passenger locos and that has been under represented lately. It is a very subjective topic but I think in today's age, today and yesterday(whether it be 1930's or 50's,60's etc.) it is all important.