If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR steam galas March & Sept 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 73129, Oct 25, 2008.

1. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Diagrams for Sat/Sun now on the MHR website.

Well done Tim! Hope you enjoyed your run on the freight today.

2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Re the thick smoke at Ropley.

Do the MHR (and other steam railways), ask for extra to make a contribution towards making their operations "carbon neutral". I see Steam Dream ask for a donation for that when you make a booking.

Done properly, maybe that is a good idea? I think it is something we are all going to have to face up to before long, whether we travel behind steam or just enjoy photting it.

3. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Just got back home from a very good days photting and well done to the Mid-Hants guys for pulling off a superb event. Also credit to the C&W guys for what is a very good rake of wagons. Here's a photo of the 9F on the freight train today heading towards Ropley (of course full sun came out about 5 seconds later), which was taken on the correct side of the cattle crossing just south of Medsted & Four Marks with the use of a step ladder to get the elevation. My Dad and I would like to add thanks to the powers that be for making available a full working timetable and an enjoyable days photting.

Cheers

Attached Files:

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

An excellent day, even though Nelson and the Yanky tank failed in the afternoon, at Alton & Ropley respectively. The Staff at Alresford kept us well informed, as to when we could expect the next departure( shortly after they had been told).
    Great to have the Real Ale coach in the dock again and open for business.
    The goods train is an impressive set of wagons, any chance of being able to take passengers at the next gala ?(like a certain railway in North Wales does).

5. LN850

LN850 Member

Bet you didn't realise that the regulators handle for 30075 had fallen off! the driver was holding it in his hand as he was talking to me!

6. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A great day even though the bit at the end was a little disappointing but these things happen.... sadly too often of late at MHR with unfortunate and unavoidable incidents taking place.
    Any news on the problem with Nelly and will she be back for the remainder of the Gala weekend tomorrow?

Here a shot of the D on the freight in stunning lighting

[​IMG]

7. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I too had a great day. What is the problem with Nelson? Nobody knew at Ropley by the time I had to leave. Looking forward to The Waverley and Swanage tomorrow.
    Cheers
    Alan

8. LN850

LN850 Member

Nelson had a problem with its brakes, however it was fixed in time for the end of the gala so it double headed the pullmans to alresford from alton with 92212.

Will be back in service for the rest of the gala. Also, Andrew king how did you manage to get such a good shot of the super d in the same position as I was? my photo has too much shadow. We were probably talking at the time.

No doubt all my photos will look crap when Matt releases his photos................

9. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    There was some sort of brake problem with LN, I was told. The highlight of the event for me was the beautifully restored BR era mixed freight. Top marks to the wagon restoration team !

David at www.uksteam.info

10. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We had a tour by a nice chap at 4 marks by the wagons department. It's free and very good

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

12. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

13. D1059

D1059 Member

I was there on Friday. This was my best shot of the day

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=296930&nseq=0

Yes, I know the location is wrong, I typed in the wrong one when I submitted the pic and already have a request in with the website to get it changed to North Street.

STEVE

14. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Pity to hear about the problems with Nelson but good to see it wasn't too serious. Here she is on the Saturday, it was too warm for smoke effects sadly but nice colours nonetheless.

Attached Files:

15. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    David I think your problem was more that it is 1 in 60 downhill at that point! It was certainly clagging nicely through Chawton Wood alas the sun didn't play ball.

16. jasonhull2000

jasonhull2000 Member

17. 6959 Class

6959 Class New Member

Mid Hants Steam Gala

Drrrrrrrat. They must have come in shortly after I left Alresford to drive home to South West Wales.

I really enjoyed my first Mid Hants Steam Gala. Well done to everybody involved.

18. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yes that's true, at least when the Super D & 5224 came up the other way they were chimney first and working up the gradient so we did get some good steam and sun for those two piccies. Overall though my Dad and I had a very good days' photting and the Super D & 9F looked fantastic with the goods train.

19. PhotoMatt

IT Engineer
    A difficult gala for photography for sure. With most of the engines facing out of Alton the locations where the locos are working are very limited. Add to that the hot weather, patchy sun and horrendous vegetation it was a challenge.

As for the Super D on the pseudo Pullman rake I will say nothing other than the camera stayed firmly in the bag!

A couple of pics, the rest are on my website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well done to all concerned, seemed like the trains where busy and of course 11/10 for the advance WTT. How about a program next year with the WTT in it, could be a good revenue stream? the SVR sell them for £5!

Now for a request for the Spring Gala, 7F 53809 please (88 in blue is NOT an option).

20. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Bravo MHR! A superb event on Friday and Saturday. Couldn't come on Sunday as I was on Tornado's run to Exeter. Here are some of my favourite pictures from the many I managed to take:

Attached Files: