If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Spring Steam Gala 2015: 13th - 15th February

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by green five, Oct 28, 2014.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Autumn Gala 2014 thread has started to talk about the next event so I thought it would be good to start the thread for this Gala. MHR website says details of the visiting locos will be released soon and advance tickets will be available before Christmas.

2. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I hope we get another Ropley to Alresford shuttle have really enjoyed Met 1 and 1450 doing them this year.

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

It would be nice to see a bit more double heading.

Also a bit more action at the Alton end .. maybe the freight could focus on Medstead Headshunt - Alton Station Sidings in between passenger workings.. not quite as exciting as those nonpaying-linesiding down to Alresford, but for the paying passengers on the platforms seeing the shunting of a freight between trains would give entertainment between trains.. and keep valuable passenger paths along the entire line free.

Also maybe the odd loco change at Ropley ? - 925 was the spare heir all weekend, but could have been subbed in / out with another during some of the lengthy layovers some trains had.

it just takes some of the routine out of the routine...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  4. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
  5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

6. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

It really will be The Alps!

7. siquelme

Have booked it off worked already :) Tho not sure how they are going to beat last years Spring Gala.... But saying that I said the same last year as I thought nothing would top the glourious T9 and Cheltenham together then the Mid Hants got Clan Line.... so for me the question is how do you top Clan Line.

8. green five

Well you never know.......
    Hopefully the theme and the very famous visiting loco that I was told about will be confirmed on the MHR site soon. Although all this might have changed since I was told at the Diesel Gala.

Talking of the Diesel Gala there was a rumour going round at the Autumn Gala that the MHR won't be having Diesel Galas anymore due to the very poor attendance at the 2014 event.

9. siquelme

I heard something similar the rumour I heard was that the MHR in future might hire one visitor and just run it with a couple of the lines diesels to make like a mini gala.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    No it wouldn't. Whats the point? The train loads are only 5 coaches, it would be a waste of money to double head.
    The pictures I've seen of two big locos on five coaches look ridiculous.
    I couldn't fault the last gala, a wonderful experience.

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Not sure that a gala could be justified at all on the basis of cost savings.

A gala is meant to be a fun day out... I can go any day of the year for repetition of run rounds and tender first running.
    Had fun at the last gala, but 5029+6960 could have been a fun pairing, as would 6960+45379, and although done before 925 and 850 look fantastic together.

12. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I ran a poll on this forum in the summer which supported some views that were expressed at the spring gala. Most people don't want doubleheading, so we didn't do it at the Autumn gala.

The Alton Medstead section was occupied throughout the day. There is no room to get another train up and down that stretch without a major overhaul to the timetable, that would result in some odd gaps in the service. The problem is that there isn't a passing loop halfway between the two stations. Shunting in the station at Medstead requires occupancy of at least one section as there is no outer home in either direction. That said we are thinking about how to use the goods yard, but again the regular "clock face" passenger trains would probably be lost.

Regarding the 2015 diesel gala. there wont be one, but we are looking at enhanced running days. If those are successful then we might have another go at a gala in the future. The issue (illustrated this year) was that the market is unpredictable and fickle. As soon as the 40 dropped out people didn't want to come, which was a shame, because it was a fun event and a great show. Getting the right mix of locos (that are available, mainline towable, in ticket for air tanks etc) is a minefield. It is unbelievably difficult to organise, costs a lot of money and can be scuppered in an instant. All that said, I do hope we will find a way for 2016.

Steam galas are also hard to organise, but the market is bigger and less fickle. They are profitable otherwise we wouldn't do it, and yes cost saving is important.

Rumpole and gricerdon like this.
  13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Thanks for the explanation, don't take it as knocking the gala, it was still a cracking weekend.

With regard double heading, I think it's a balance, don't double head everything, but one or two high profile (read correct choice) double headers somewhere in the day really do liven it up.

Could you do driver for a fiver (or just shunt wagons or a brake van ride) at Alton in-between trains ?

(Really my suggestion is something to keep an interest between trains at Alton station)... Medstead has the wagon team, Ropley the shed / picnic area and Alresford the goods shed, plus also the shuttle in between trains as well as the cafe..).

14. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Not Tornado again, surely?

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Royal Scot ?

16. green five

No, it's not Tornado again. Wrong region.

17. green five

My lips are sealed until the actual loco is revealed by the MHR site........................

18. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Well it cant be 4472 as we would see pigs flying first.

gricerdon

19. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    46100 is my guess too. There aren't many famous engines in our little world.

20. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I didn't take it as a knock, and I think that on occasion in the future we will certainly doublehead, but we will probably be much more selective.

I agree about the comment regarding Alton. The issue (depending on the timetable) can be that there isn't time (or space) to do anything. In the past we have sometimes changed engines there, and we did this time at least once or twice, but for most of the hour there was a train alongside blocking the view of the spare engine in the loop. Really the issue is that running as intensive a service as we do leaves no space for anything else. If we don't run the intensive service would people feel that they had got less than full value for their ticket? fundamentally Alton is too restricted for the service we operate into and out of it on a gala, but there is nothing we can do about that as far as I can see, unless we spend a couple of million on a retaining wall and widen the embankment (and the "return" wouldn't be there for the perhaps 9 days a year we really need another platform. Its a conundrum.