If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I like the idea of a Terrier on the MHR, but it would certainly be something of limited use. As there have been a number of new terrier boilers constructed, a new buil would be relatively easy I guess, given the money. Maybe in 20 years, when we have tunnelled under Perins and built our subterranean workshop.....

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    And just to upset those of a Brighton disposition you could paint it as LSWR 734

3. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    IOW have had built complete new Terrier boilers, Bluebell have a wheel pattern from Fenchurch and a pattern for cylinders. Sounds a plan. Now then, where is my facebook account...

paulhitch likes this.
  4. martin1656

i wonder if PH will complain about an new build terrier lol was the original 734/ 735 A1's or A1X 's .

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

If you are getting picky, both had Stroudley (rather than Marsh) pattern boilers when they were sold to the LSWR, so you would call them A1 at that point.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/personal/mike-nichols/LSWR_734_2.html

The distinctive identifier for a Stroudley boiler is that if you look at them side on, the dome is exactly in line with the water filler caps on the tanks - on a Marsh pattern boiler, the dome is somewhat further forward. There were other detail changes generally done at the same time as the rebuild from A1 to A1x, primarily moving the front sandboxes from above the running plate to below; changing the smokebox and removing the smokebox wing plates; however, as with any long-lived class, detail variations abound.

735 was subsequently given a new boiler, but of Drummond pattern with the safety valves on the dome - quite how you would classify it I don't suppose really matters, but in other details it is still closer to an A1 than an A1x, even though it has been reboilered:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/personal/mike-nichols/LSWR_735_1.html

It was later sold to the FY&NR and became their No. 2. By that route it r-eentered SR stock at Grouping and had the subsequent IoW extended bunker modification, though for a period it retained the Drummond-pattern boiler:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/personal/mike-nichols/W2_1.html
    http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/personal/mike-nichols/W2_2.html

Tom

MuzTrem likes this.
  6. martin1656

I must admit a terrier with a Dummond pattern boiler would re create a past era of this class,

Hampshire Unit likes this.
  7. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    I think that when it first came to the Island on hire to the Newport and Yarmouth Railway in 1913 it was in LSWR livery, so a correct livery for the Island.

8. martin1656

that could be an interesting move, imagine if a new build terrier with a dummond pattern boiler was to be constructed and duel braked, painted up as LSWR 735, And it were to visit the IOWSR, and posed along side W8 how many people guess they were both the same engine?

9. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Interesting report in the new issue of Heritage Railway which arrived today. The Class 27 Diesel is to be scrapped so that the owner can use it's chassis and bogies to make a new build Class 21.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

That's a shame as it is, I believe, the last vac only Class 27. Probably not unique enough to get many peoples attention, but the last one nonetheless.

11. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    The body was riddled with tin worm, and sadly those who took it apart did not know how to put back together again.

Chris.

12. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Chris,

If you want more info about 27007 there was a thread running on WNXX forum.

http://www.wnxxforum.co.uk

Lee

green five likes this.
  13. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Cheers Lee but I am not on WNXX.
    I did wonder where the Class 27 had disappeared to from it's brief residence at Medstead. Apparently it's hidden away at Alresford going by the report in HR.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Why on earth would I "complain"?

PH

15. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

I think he is confusing your well-known antipathy to, erm, shall we call it "confusing daydreaming with forward planning" with disapproval of all new-builds in principle. Whereas I would have thought (speaking for myself) that a nice 0-6-0T which punches well above its weight would be far more desirable than an express passenger loco running tender first at a crawl... But why build another Terrier, you could probably borrow one?

walmsley73096 and paulhitch like this.
  16. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Fair point! That wasn't what I had in mind, though. I was thinking more along the lines of Stephen's comments in an interview many years ago: why spend thousands have authentic GER (for instance) lamps cast, when you can get period lamps from BHS for £20 each?

Of course, in an ideal world everything would be authentic - and certainly I always admire the stunning coach restorations at places like the Bluebell - but as I say, the most important thing is to get the vehicle up and running, and earning its keep.

17. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I'm not sure a Rooter would be high on my list for a new build, even were it not for the fact that so many are preserved.

An Adams T1 on the other hand would be nice :) Not least there is at least a sporting chance that they worked on the Mid Hants on occasion - they were certainly regulars round Winchester in later years.

Tom

18. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

I can't imagine that a Terrier would be a great deal of use on the MHR's gradients. If we are talking even semi-seriously about a new build for the MHR, I really think the T1 would be the best option (always assuming that the current owners would part with the surviving boiler - which is, of course, a big "if"). The latter has a TE of 17,900, compared to 10,500 for a Terrier. In fact, on paper the T1 is slightly more powerful than the Ivatt 2MT, so it is an engine that the MHR might actually be able to use on ordinary service trains. And as I say, the T1s worked over the Mid-Hants route in steam days so it would be very appropriate from that point of view.

I guess the big problem with this scheme, though, is simply that the T1s didn't survive long enough to carry BR black...! I am being a little facetious of course, but the last one was withdrawn in 1951, and that is too long ago for most enthusiasts now alive to remember. That could be an obstacle to fundraising.

andrewshimmin and Chris86 like this.
  19. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    It is in the headshunt at Alresford opposite Ellingham Close. The tarps covering it are not in good condition and the bodywork is pretty much non existent now

green five likes this.
  20. martin1656

They have more than a passing resemblance to the 02 class, was the T1 Later? of course the biggest issue used about tank engines in the past was the range, but with the ability to take water at Alton i guess that would not be a problem but so few LSWR engines survived of course that it looks so alike an 02 means a certain off shore railway may try to borrow it one adams designed 0-4-4 T is never enough :)