If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Goods Weekend 16/17 January 2010

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by cct man, Nov 4, 2009.

1. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    60019 on standby saves me a 550 mile round trip. Thanks for advising early :)

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Thanks Lee, the yard tours were well attended too, around 15 to 20 each tour.

Regards
    Chris

3. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Its an engine that should run on a line more suited to its graceful lines and heritage. Yes the MHR has restored it to main line condition and it performs well but I do realy doubt that the
    Local enthusiast and indeed punters feel any real affection for this loco and I share that view sorry.. Now 92 Squadron that would be much better ..I trust this aswers your question.

4. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Now back to this thread .Have to say well done the the C and W group for a fine turn out of wagons. Its unfortunate the need to shunt the fitted head to the opposite end of the train at each end of the line ment an additionals 15 mins of shunting which hadnt been allowed for in the WTT . However next time it will be or more fitted vehicles may be avaliable . All the same excellent .

5. LN850

LN850 Member

Had a great day. Day finished about half an hour late, not exactly sure why, but i have an idea that the goods train was played around with at either end and 5224 needs watering at every available stop.

Nice event brocure and road vehicle display was good. But why were no vans attached at the end of trains??????

850's cocks were open with some leaks and so photos were not so good as steam leaked. RAT bar looks good now.

BTW 76017 is due to go into the works once 31806 is finished.

6. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Just a few shots from Saturday . Lets see what the weather brings today .

7. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

I hope Sunday went well at Medstead as well... Chris.You can go and have a lie down in a CCT now. David

8. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    No, sorry, thats just bad planning...

9. LN850

LN850 Member

There were 3 brake vans in the formation, if earlier in the week there was 1 at either end......

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Good pics - the second one seems to be a location which many people use. Would you mind sharing it location?

11. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Simon ,This shot not avaliable for non pts holders though you can tresspas in a farmers field who also doesnt like photographers either and take a shot from the field !!

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    An enjoyable day Sunday even if the light was rubbish for most of the time. Well done to the MHR C&W gang for putting together such a nice goods rake. Once again this forum software won't allow me to upload a file so can't share with you just yet.

13. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

My Father and I had a great day Saturday. A great display of vintage vehicles greeted us at Alresford as we arrived to catch the first train of the day hauled by 850. We then had a spirited run to Alton and back to Medstead where we broke our journey to get some photo's. Then it was on to Ropley with 5224 for a wander round the yard and station. 34007 and 73096 were in the wheel-drop shed with 31806 minus boiler residing in the main shed behind the tender from sister 31625. We were told that 73096 is due to return to traffic in June with 75079 taking her place in the shed for her overhaul to continue. 60019 was getting prepped for use and I noticed the "new" Ferryhill shed allocation. After watching a few arrivals and enthusiastic departures my Father decided that was enough of the cold for him and we went to catch the delayed service with 5224 when she had to stop for a coal top up. Getting back to Alresford we had a good look in the shop and info office and around the vehicles before they departed.

Overall a good event. I really liked the "brochure" guide. 92212 looked great on the freight and 850 was certainly attracting plenty of attention. Hopefully the railway did well enough for a repeat of this event as there were a lot of people there Saturday. Perhaps for the next freight event a shuttle service could be implemented to Medstead as I did here some people comment about the scheduled long gaps in the timetable so that they were "stuck" at Medstead.

We had no complaints though and would like to thank everyone involved for a great day out.

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

73096 wasn't in the wheel drop wheel shed over the weekend. She is in the boiler shop/Wagon shed. 45379 and 34007 are in the wheel drop shed with Ivor the Engine.

15. LN850

LN850 Member

Just seen some shots put onto railways website about the event, and with all due respect to those who took the photos, but some i wonder why they were even put on thw website.

(and yes, i have just sent in some of my photos of the weekend, only my best ones)

16. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

With regard thes Web site pictures please remember that not all photographers are gifted with good cameras and a natural eye for a shot so at least there are shots on there from all aspects of the weekend .
    A nice selection of Thornycrofts ,My dad did his apprentiship there at Basingstoke and built the Antar tank transporters its a shame he couldnt get there to see these.

17. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    Wonder if it's the same James who was stood in the 4 foot when I was bearing down on him with 'City of Truro' once. Apparently he was adamant that as he was n possession of an MHR pts card he could stand wherever he wanted to take his photos.

18. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Why? From my humble opinion he looks to be in a position of safety. And within in the tolerances required for 25 mph running
    Am sure that if he wasnt the loco crews would have stopped and told him to sling his hook.

Cant see what the problem is.

19. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

Why? From my humble opinion he looks to be in a position of safety. And within in the tolerances required for 25 mph running
    Am sure that if he wasnt the loco crews would have stopped and told him to sling his hook.

Cant see what the problem is.[/QUOTE]

20. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I wonder if the 'offender' was too close to the track - or, just maybe, his camera was mounted there and controlled from a place of safety?