If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Meenglass

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Reading General, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So long as you're not signed in to Facebook (or whatever else), info collected is of the same order farmed by "cookies".

If you do (IMO) take leave of your senses and sign up, for Bob's sake check literally each and every setting ...... such services tend to the view that privacy is a notion only applicable to their own operations, not something their target market demographic (that's thee and me!) should worry their funny little minds by kyboshing their carte blanche to trawl your private contacts lists, photo gallery and I don't want to think about access to your camera or microphone.

Personally, I'd spark up an additional email address for use on social media alone ..... and be prepared for a deluge of unsolicited twaddle from people you hoped you'd never have to suffer again* ..... and "targeted marketing" ..... and condescending 'personalised' messages from some automated database in deepest Minnesota / Xiang / Kannur.

If you get the feeling I'm not overly enamoured of social media, you may just be on the right track.

*OK, it could be from someone you actually wanted to hear from. I can just about conceive that may happen too.

Meiriongwril likes this.
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

you're paranoid. I never see unsolicited twaddle or personalised messages as you claim. You're just at risk on this forum, check out the adverts at the top.....Uk site, Irish adverts.... nuff said

3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I don't see sensible precautions as being 'paranoid'. Unlike a couple of friends, have never had my identity lifted, but I've witnessed the effects on both over the many months taken to resolve some very worrysome consequences. True, a determined targetted fraud can happen to just about anyone online, via malicious software, but I don't see that as a reason for making life easier for thieves and fraudsters abusing publically available data.

4. Adam Wiles

Adam Wiles New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Evening all,

In case anyone is interested, the Foyle Valley Railway Museum has its own Facebook page which IS publicly accessible and has a radio interview on it which gives an insight into the groups intentions. Hopefully this link works.

https://m.facebook.com/FoyleValleyRailway/?locale2=en_GB

5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

not able to hear it , no fault of theirs, my hearing is pants.