If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Jun 4, 2017] Isle of wight steam railway May gala (Ryde Isle of Wight)

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Newington, Apr 1, 2017.

Isle of wight steam railway May gala
Start Date: Jun 4, 2017 01:00 AM
End Date: Jun 4, 2017 07:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

Havenstreet station
Ryde Isle of Wight

Posted By: Newington

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

That's great . Thanks. We will be there

2. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Presumably Ashey request stops as usual?

3. JS Rail Videos

JS Rail Videos New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That's usually the case. Should be coming down on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it!

4. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    WTT with loco allocations now available to download from the website.

5. Newington

Newington New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ashey request stops yes. The bad news is that 03 197 May not be on the shuttles, There is an issue with "internal paperwork" nowt wrong with loco. As always someone urinates on our friction lighters! Lets hope the weather holds. See you there.

6. Islander

Islander Member

W8, W11 and 41298 are lit up and ready for their Gala duties, D2059 is good to go on the Brake Van train. 8 Island and Mainland beers are ready and waiting for you in the Real Ale Marquee at Havenstreet. The weather is set fair for the next few days, it's going to be a great weekend on the Isle of Wight - looking forward to seeing you there!

7. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

W8 failed this morning with whistle stuck open so fire dropped and won't work at all today. Weather pretty awful. What a shame after such a beautiful week. We did a couple of round trips, one each with 41298 (new) and W11 and then caught the 1347 fast cat to Pompey and home in good time for the Cup Final

8. Islander

Islander Member

It was a great disappointment for us all when W8 failed this morning. The good news is that the whistle valve was replaced this afternoon once the boiler was out of steam. W8 now sports a whistle instead of the hooter which it has carried since the 90s. Following an in-steam test of the new whistle W8 was back in service ready for the late afternoon Terrier double header. Baring any more unforeseen mishaps the Gala timetable will be back on track on Sunday morning!

45076 likes this.
  9. JS Rail Videos

Here's my offerings from my trip yesterday (would've gone Sunday but the weather looked far worse). A brilliant event, great to see the Ivatt and Terriers in action, a highlight definitely being the double header in the evening!

Enjoy!

Islander, cav1975 and 45076 like this.
  10. Newington

Newington New Member

J.S, one of the best video compilations I have seen of the railway, shots not only of trains but also the stations and lineside. Shame the weather was not brighter for us. On the whole a successful event and all the crews enjoyed it. The first shot of 41298 was a lucky one for you. Ashey as you know is a request stop and a I approached it I saw there were some people on the platform with what I thought was their arm out, turned out it was a pair of photographers standing on the platform edge. I slowed, I thought they wanted to get on, they moved back and climbed on the station seat. We normally coast through there, not a dramatic! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for coming over. Starting planning for next year already.

11. JS Rail Videos

Thank you very much, comments like this are truly appreciated. The people came from the private house opposite the station, and I presumed they would get on the next service. I heard you slow the Ivatt down so I presumed you would stop, so I was surprised when you coasted straight through! I always enjoy coming over to the Railway, and I hope to return in the Summer for another day trip!