If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manx Northern Railway No 3 Isle of Man Railway No 14 Thornhill and Cleminson Coach

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Allan Thomson, Nov 16, 2012.

1. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Manx Northern Railway No 3 Isle of Man Railway No 14 Thornhill and Cleminson Coac

I would hope ,considering previous disagreements, that Hedd's comments were "tongue in cheek"!
    Let us not forget that No14 is privately owned and is not deteriorating. Julian has built a suitable shed for it and is, I believe, well on with restoring his Cleminson. Please can we respect his privacy and try not to "suggest" what he should do with his own property.Ray.

2. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

Re: Manx Northern Railway No 3 Isle of Man Railway No 14 Thornhill and Cleminson Coac

Indeed I totally agree, and No14 was extremely well looked after and stored well when I stored it in its own shed which Julian has spent further of his own money having reinforced. The loco is as was, but was obviously cleaned and oiled and sympathetically conserved as was the Cleminson which was in very good condition for an unrestored item (I am sure many curators would take their hats off to him). I agree in thinking any suggestions as to what 'should' be done with it are best left off here.

3. Clarke_T

Clarke_T New Member

Magical set of photos, been a long time enthusiast for all things Isle of Man, and been in the hope of stumbling across pictures or accounts of the present state of No.14 for quite some time. It's been said that the owners intention is to eventually restore it, good on him, especially with those Salter Safety Valves she'd be unique in action on the Island, but it would be such a shame to lose that fantastic time warp patina of the locos external appearance, in my opinion (I'm not telling the owner what he should do with his engine) it would be nice to give her a good scrub with some paraffin or similar, coat her with a film of thick oil and stick her on display for a bit, is there any room in Port Erin Museum? [fantasy mode off]
    Best of luck to the owner, and now the location of the loco appears obvious (a quick scout on google maps found that shed with ease) I hope he's not inundated with enthusiasts trying to get a good look at the thing, just enjoy the photos, I did :)

4. Pete.R

Pete.R New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thornhill when on display in Douglas Station on 31/05/1972 Thornhill.JPG

5. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Delightful photograph.

I wonder if any of the "classic" cars on display in the background have survived for preservation to delight future generations too!! I notice that the Cortina is in the correct livery.

Cheers,

Alan

6. Chrisw77

Chrisw77 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Any update on Thornhill?