If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M S & L Killamarsh Central Station

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 46118, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I am posting this topic here rather than in "General Chat" because I hope this is of interest to one of our Heritage Railways.

Yesterday whilst up in Derbyshire I visited the above station, which is on the long-disused Great Central line between Sheffield and Chesterfield in North East Derbyshire, the trackbed now being part of the Trans-Pennine Trail. The "up" side station building is intact, but now disused. I thought there had been a posting on here about the station building being offered to the preservation movement rather than being destroyed, but cannot find that earlier item. I recall that it is the last surviving M S & L Railway station building. I thought I read that a haulage contractor had offered storage in his yard rather than see the building razed to the ground and burnt.

This station building is a remarkable survivor. It looks intact externally and the wood looks to be in good condition. The slated roof looks in excellent order. This is a substantial building, complete with porters hut, and an intact full-length metal canopy structure on the platform side. I estimate the length of the main building at around ninety feet.
    Surely there must be a heritage railway out there who could put the large and historic building to good use?

If you have a copy of the Foxline publication "Sheffield Victoria to Chesterfield Central" then look at pages 80, 81 and 82 for photographs.

I hope a heritage line can take an interest in this building and secure it for future use. Does anyone have any further gen about what the future--if any--holds for this building?

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Answering my own question after further research, the attached link says that the building has been secured by a local businessman and the station will be re-erected elsewhere. However the Winter 2007 edition of "Main Line" from the GCR says the site has been sold to a housing developer and the building is to be demolished.

Do anyone know anything uptodate as to the likely fate of this station?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stat ... ndex.shtml