If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Operations and Development

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 50044 Exeter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    OK, lynbarn, I get what you are saying now and I agree 100%- any extensions/ alterations must be of a sympathetic and traditional building style. I haven't looked at the proposals for Blackmore for some time but if I remember correctly it is proposed that the wooden extension be pulled down to open up a three-sided courtyard with the up platform on the open side. I must go back and look again those plans.
    Mark

lynbarn likes this.
  2. Leafent

Leafent New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Shouldn't the L&B focus on getting the track in between Woody Bay and Blackmoor Gate first before worrying that much about the Buildings? Provided the track is there, Paracombe and Blackmoor Gate stations could make do with suitably dressed up portacabins for a season or two, though in the ideal world the completed buildings would be completed at the same time.

Also, has the trust considered building a railhead at Blackmoor Gate and working up towards Paracombe in two directions?

GSN and jnc like this.
  3. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    The simple answer is yes it has, it all depends on the outcome of the planning permission. if it looks like it is going to drag on, the backup plan is to purchase Blackmoor ASAP and to build the road bridge between the station site and the new workshops and display area.

Once all the civil engineering has been done the plan is then to build the workshop and then just as soon as money will allow, build the railway to Wistlandpound reservoir. This will give us a new section of the L&BR to run and will be much easier to re-instate, since all of this is outside of the National Park. In theory it would be possible to continue to build the railway around Wistlandpound to a southern point by North Thorn Farm.

From there to Bratton Fleming station, the L&BR Trust has very good relations with most of the trackbed owners.

It is hoped that the planning issues will be resolved soon, but the Blackmoor end still depends on the Trust being able via a subsidiary company to buy and run Blackmoor Gate we see this as one of the keys sites along the whole railway, if you fancy buying in to a pub restaurant then you can do so here:- http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/ follow the L&BR funder links to find out more

Colin R

Leafent and LesterBrown like this.
  4. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Most of us have an idea of what "some railway" looks like-it looks like some other railway. Stations are icons-where the public actually interact with the railway as a living thing.

"Help us build some more track" is just a request for money.

"Help us build some more track-we'll put a portacabin at the end" is arguably worse!

"Help us recreate the iconic station at Bratton Fleming (Oh by the way, we will also need to build some more track)" is selling a dream. It probably does help the non-enthusiasts to want to contribute.

Mark Thompson and lynbarn like this.
  5. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I hope that includes the highways department given the road that’s been placed over the trackbed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    From Wistlandpound to Bratton Fleming life is not so simple and straight forward, because the trackbed at Wistlandpound will be higher than it was in 1935 we shall have to somehow re-grade the line from Wistlandpound down to possibly as far south as Knightacott.

As far as I am aware no planning or details have yet been discussed or agreed at Trust level, I am not sure that even the civil engineers have had a look at this yet either or have they made any proposals to the Trust.

Since the railway closed we now have a possible source from a new revenue stream, i.e. Exmoor Zoo to consider.

When it comes to Twitchen Lane, personally, I think it would be foolish for anyone to consider ripping up a perfectly good road to replace it with a railway. I know it was our track bed, but just think of the extra money that it would cost and be required to rip up the road and replace it to one side and also to rebuild the railway itself.

At least one bridge will require rebuilding in the process and that is the one at Bridge 39 or the end of Twitchen Lane where it meets Button Lane at right angles.

My personal suggestion would be to raise the road above the railway at this point and install a short tunnel for the railway so it can regard the old trackbed the road above could then have a roundabout install on the junction above.

Like I say these are my thoughts and have nothing to do with the Trust, but I am sure some one will be along at some stage once the details are known.

7. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Having driven down Twitchen Lane, I'm not sure what the answer might be, though I suspect that neither ripping up nor the proposed tunnel are particularly ideal options.

8. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

All options look very expensive, but on balance it would I'm sure be easier to construct a new road to replace Twitchen Lane than to relocate the railway, which would almost certainly have to pass Hunnaford on its existing alignment even if slightly raised to suit the Wistlandpound deviation.

9. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Tram tracks down the middle of the road. After all, if the WHR can do it in Porthmadog why can't the L&B?

The Dainton Banker and 35B like this.
  10. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

The thought had occurred. Not sure about passing however!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix Holt likes this.
  11. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

Ah. Was it in anticipation of that situation that the Manning Wardles were originally fitted with tramway type covers to part of the motion?

30854, paullad1984 and Felix Holt like this.
  12. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

I think the OP was referring to the fabrication details (with extensive use of local stone, left bare), and not the overall location/layout.

Noel

13. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    If only someone would invent some lighting system to control road traffic when there are trains around .... Wonder what you could call them?

Of course, you just can't run a train down a street ... doesn't happen .... no siree.
    Narrow_Gauge_Street_Running_by_ZCochrane.jpg.cf.jpg

14. Mark Thompson

Yes, quite. Lynbarn did explain this to me a little bit further down, and then it all started to make sense!

15. goughball01

goughball01 New Member

I notice that the Lynton and Barnstaple map linked linked to the website has been updated to include the section of track-bed immediately to the north of Bratton Fleming as now owned by the Trust. This is the section that for many years has had its own private narrow gauge line and was the focus of clearance at the recent spring working weekend. Has this been officially announced as this is the first time I have noticed this? Also thought that the Trust was concentrating further trackbed purchashes to North of Wistlandpound and south of there would be the domain of Exmoor Associates.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=51.13103334343633,-3.938485786674505&spn=0.043029,0.102825&t=m&msa=0&z=16&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=1ait_38mDALZOXlxQGr3tIdXDUSQ

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  16. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

QUOTE="30854, post: 1954893, member: 27573"]If only someone would invent some lighting system to control road traffic when there are trains around .... Wonder what you could call them?

Of course, you just can't run a train down a street ... doesn't happen .... no siree.
    View attachment 30928 [/QUOTE]
    What? No 2ft steam hauled example? ;)
    image.jpeg

17. 30854

Retired
    @Copper-capped Lovely piccy, nice little loco. I had no idea there was a rail served kebab factory, let alone that kebab wagons were loaded from a conveyor like coal or aggregates!

OK ... I admit it, you've stumped me ... where is that? ... what's it carrying? ... and is it still carrying it?

andrewshimmin likes this.
  18. Mark Thompson

What? No 2ft steam hauled example? ;)
    View attachment 30941 [/QUOTE]
    Superb! Where is that?

19. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It does in Porthmadog :)

CLN_WVR likes this.
  20. 30854

Retired
    Hopefully, before too much longer, on the outskirts of Bala too. :)

CLN_WVR likes this.