If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LSWR T3 563

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by nick813, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A bit like City of Truro, you mean? Wasn't Lirpa Loof the spokesman for that?

2. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    And Nula Seer as I recall.

Miff likes this.
  3. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

At the end of the day, if it's been gifted to The Swanage Railway, It's their property, and it's theirs to do with as they please, I would say, if a return to steam in possible then i cant see how anyone could complain, The NRM could have even offered it on the open market if they wanted to if its been removed from the collection and asked the preservation movement to bid for it, at least its returning to home metals, ok, for me the best option would have been a Southern NRM outpost at Eastleigh had the works closed and to have brought together under one roof everything southern right up to the last 4Vep , but the works instead got busier and busier, but at least its got to have a potensially better future at Swanage than at either York or Shilton

4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

the only way you could park it under the canopy is to park it ON the platform

Jupiter likes this.
  5. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Seeing as the NRM have retweeted the news from Swanage, I'm pretty sure it's genuine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    To all the steam fans getting hot under the collar about this (which i agree with to be honest, a long term loan would be preferable) at the moment the loco concerned doesn't work, compare this to 50033 which when it was handed over to the museum was a recently painted totally operational loco, in fact in the morning of its hand over it worked a return jaunt to Scarborough after a while on display and working at a few galas it was "gifted" to Swindon council for display at Swindon works, though God knows why as it wasn't really relevant as they didn't got through the works at all, Doncaster did all that. And after it arrived because the engine block leaked a bit, dont know why they didn't think it would as they always did, they decided it would be a good plan to drain all the oil out of the block, after they did that it was explained that would cause the engine to seize and become 117 tons of scrap they put new oil in. After all this good custodianship a bride booked her wedding pictures in the museum and didn't want a dirty diesel in her special day photos so it was shipped off to Tyseley and left outside without cover to the next few years and was robbed of various bits that only is now being attended to and Swindon BC wont let it go, dont know why they wont, didn't show any interest in it when it was in good nick. The NRM does have responsibility to look after things GIVEN to it by the taxpayers and treat exhibits as a whole collection not as just money making excuse for a very small amount of chosen ones

Black Jim and Rosedale like this.
  7. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

An appalling act of cultural vandalism. Unforgivable.

8. Scrat

Scrat New Member

railway worker
    Disgraceful!
    Lets Hope they do actually have some nice undercover accomodation and never try to get it working. The standards of appearence and cleanliness of the other engines they operate is terrible. Would be criminal to see this loco in the same mess....

9. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

As a duplicate streamlined pacific I wonder who is going to be gifted 6229?

Tim Light and flying scotsman123 like this.
  10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

And in rebuilt form duplicated by 46235 which we have been told is equivalent of a national collection loco.
    Then which of the Star, Castle or King will be surplus?
    The evaluation and disposal strategy would make interesting reading. What new imperatives bring about the need to reduce the collection?
    This is hopefully a very unamusing April fool.

Martin Perry, MikeParkin65 and 35B like this.
  11. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

A recent visit to York suggests that the main imperative is that trains are dull and get in the way of the face painting stall.

12. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    dont forget the tea towel stalls and the coffee shop

MikeParkin65 and nick glanf like this.
  13. 007

007 Member

What an absolute load of rubbish. If you think that then you clearly haven't been down there in years.
    563 Will be cherished at Swanage where it will have far more relevance and importance than it currently has sat in a northern museum, with no connection to the locality.

563 is in good hands now, it will remain in good hands forever and it is now part of the Swanage Railway Trust collection where it will stay as the jewel in the crown. I guess if you don't like that, you will just have to find a way of dealing with that and eventually getting over it.

Cartman, Wenlock, andalfi1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

I do like a sore winner.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    andrewshimmin and 007 like this.
  15. 007

007 Member

Nothing about being a sore winner. I and the majority are absolutely delighted by the news. I totally understand why some people are upset and i get that, but give us a chance to prove you wrong, rather than putting Swanage Railway down before we have even welcomed our new resident.

Funnell and andalfi1 like this.
  16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

You could probably go some way to allaying fears of at least some by outlining how the railway intends to store the locomotive out of the elements, and what the arrangements for public access will be.

Tom

17. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Can I sound another vote for having the loco running again.

If it had a decently long life, then a fair bit will not be as built but as withdrawn. So much better as a working exhibit, which is what makes heritage railways far more attractive than most museums.

I have enjoyed working with the Q1 and Evening Star as living, breathing things and now they stand silent in York and make me a little sad when I see them, however well looked after they are.

When the T3 'return to steam' fund opens, I will make the first donation.

Robin

Black Jim, jtx, Cartman and 2 others like this.
  18. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

The NRM and SR is to be applauded for relocating an engine to a much more appropriate location, as well as making the tantalising possibility of steaming potentially more likely. That's great. We also know the NRM is pressed for space and if this means it can get something else under cover then also great. What I fail to understand as with the NSR tank is why a long term loan is insufficient. It feels like we're going back to the shortsighted days of the NRM when Duke of Gloucester was only going to have its cylinders preserved or whatever. Understandable back then, no matter how shocking when viewed through hindsight, but now? Seems daft to me when exactly the same result could be achieved plus added security with a long term loan rather than permanent ownership.

Yachtie and Tim Light like this.
  19. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

Quite, and in addition to what happened to the fifty there are other examples of the NRM deaccessioning items which did not then receive the best of treatment. The LNWR steam crane which went to the CVR was nearly cut up. The Nord Compound lay derelict at Wansford for many years and then left the country. And so on.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  20. 007

007 Member

Tom

Thanks for this, currently the locomotive will arrive inside the next couple of weeks. An official handover will take place and details will be released about its on going conservation. Please don't think that the Swanage Railway don't have a plan, they do, its just important that things are taking place at a steady pace to ensure that nothing is promised that can't be delivered. Its day one, lets just pump the brakes and let things get sorted ASAP.