If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Long Potential Extensions

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by JFlambo, Mar 3, 2015.

1. JFlambo

JFlambo New Member

Which preserved railways have the longest potential extensions? I'm not saying it should be done - I'm just interested to learn which railways are connected to lengthy undisturbed track beds. I enjoy looking on satellite maps at preserved railways and seeing how long they could (with unlimited funds) potentially extend to.

Felix Holt likes this.
  2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

The GWSR if you take the Honeybourne - Stratford section into account, would be a significant extension if it ever happened. Not quite sure if that counts though as part of that is still an active railway at the moment (Long Marston branch).

JFlambo likes this.
  3. JFlambo

JFlambo New Member

Bar the branch is the track bed free all the way to Stratford? That's incredible if so - surprised nobody has turned that into a cycleway (or have they?)

4. Pete Thornhill

JFlambo likes this.
  5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

That's a very subjective question if funds were unlimited anything is possible.
    If we're talking track bed and funds, there's many, and with increasing numbers of lines looking at the mainline as an extension potential is fantastic.

Unfortunately might and men are bound by cash and politics.

You could go York toWhitby, minehead to Taunton orBristol, Manchester to Rawtenstall, most of the S&D, Waverley routes are there, North Norfolk could be a huge circle, nene valley could go a long way

Even if cash, men and machines were no object there's no barriers like politics and even if that's overcome, you still need money and passengers to run it.

JFlambo likes this.
  6. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Strathspey could go all the way to Forres (estimate about 30 miles).

7. steve45110

steve45110 Member

Bath Green Park to Bristol. It was originally called the The Bristol Suburban Railway Society, when Green Park was just a car park in between the platforms, at track level.

Buxton to Matlock. Northampton to Market Harborough. Boscarne to Padstow.
    Exeter to Plymouth (might actually happen) if not, Tavistock to Plymouth and Exeter to Okehampton. Ashburton to Buckfastleigh. Others no doubt.

JFlambo likes this.
  8. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

9. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Padstow to Colebrooke with branches to Bude, Barnstaple and Bere Alston.

10. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Except the OP said intact track beds so a lot of the above fall by the wayside as the track bed is built on at some point or bridges are missing e.g. Bristol - Bath, Somerset and Dorset etc.

11. Pete Thornhill

Exactly how I read it to.

12. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Cromford & High Peak? There's a small bit of track with a wagon on it and another with a couple of brake vans, so technically that would be an extension.

Yes, I know, not really in the spirit of the original question!

49010 and JFlambo like this.
  13. JFlambo

JFlambo New Member

I thought the track bed through Wadebridge had been built over? - and (I may be wrong here) but an alternative way through the town was recently built on too?

14. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Wensleydale Redmire to Hawes Junct?

15. GWR Man.

Pontypool and Blaenavon railway both ways.

16. Pete Thornhill

The Barnstaple bit could be interesting with the Bideford revival and I see a group of locals wish to rebuild the Ilfracombe line as well. Although I think it is unlikely that would be some rebirth of the closed railways of the area especially if the L&B were able to join them all that would be missing would be the Taunton line. Mainly a pipe dream but I have to admit if all that did happen it would be impressive.

17. GWR Man.

The Taunton to Barnstaple has about 1/3 of the total length under the A361, this is from Barnstaple to South Molton and a section around Milverton as well under a road.

18. Pete Thornhill

Yes sorry my post wasn't very clear, I wasn't suggesting it was possible to go back to Taunton. I meant that was all that was missing from the proposed schemes for a complete reinstatement of the lines around Barnstaple and although I think the some of the proposals (the rebuilding of the Ilfracombe branch) are pipe dreams and unlikely to happen it would be impressive if they did come to fruition.

19. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Gwili has ownership of land and LRO in place north of present limit for 4 miles to Llanpumsaint so "just" a question of finding the money....

Beyond that the trackbed is relatively undisturbed to about Pencader

20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    The South Tynedale - almost all the way back to Haltwhistle (broken by the A69)
    A Welsh one might be Bleanau to Bala, but I think some roads and water are in the way.

Border Railway back to Carlisle ? nope, I think some that's been built on.