If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lochty Private Railway Documentary

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by QTXAdsy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not sure this is right place for this, feel free to place it in the right section on the forums, but anyway, little bit of information on what the title is about...

All of us probably know all about No. 9 and her mainline outings and the recent news of her retirement in a few years, but very few seem to know the very start of her preservation life...Lochty, and the lack of information of this little line. Even with No.9's time there, there is a lack of information, images and especially video footage out on the web on this little know line and only is known by a selected group of people who were there. So with this being the 50th Anniversary of the opening of the Lochty Railway and seeing pretty much nobody out there noting this, I thought that now would be the time to tell the story of this line to bring it to a wider audience and the fact that No.9 just happens to be ending her working days soon, it seems that it seems too good a chance to past by.

As a member of the Fife Heritage Railway and knowing our connection with Lochty and with the 50th (coincidently also our 25th anniversary year of the KFRPS forming and Lochty closing) I asked if anyone was willing to help with anything regarding the line, it was quite amazing to see many willing loan rare images and footage of this line. So with my partner working alongside me, we are currently working away on the documentary which should be out by the end of the year.

And to give you a preview of the documentary, here is the really rare footage of No. 9 leaving Lochty in 1973 to return to the mainline, one to get big interest no doubt!

Possible more previews to follow or if any on here has any stories of Lochty you'd like to share, feel free to do so as it would be nice to hear anyone tell their memories of Lochty. Hopefully this'll be a worth while project to shine more light on to Lochty. :)

2. For those of us to whom Fudbook is the work of ol' Beelzebub himself (or who simply don't use it), is there any chance you could upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo, please?

3. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver

Here you go, I have another video of the Peckett going up to Lochty from Burntisland :)

Matt37401 and DisusedBranch like this.
  4. fifeflyer1957

fifeflyer1957 New Member

Logistics
    My goodness brings back memories "I was there" think the move was on a Monday, it was freezing. Was either a bank holiday or we skived off school.......
    cheers
    ff

QTXAdsy likes this.
  5. Thank you. Any chance of sharing the other one. Pretty please? :)

QTXAdsy likes this.
  6. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver

Here it is! The never before seen footage of Peckett BAC No. 1 on it's move from Burntisland to Lochty :)

7. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver
    A wee but interesting update, here is the rare footage of No. 9 moving to Lochty by road from Crail station in 1967.

Hope many of you are interested in this wee project.

Bean-counter likes this.
  8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Amazing footage - not sure I have seen a large steam loco being moved on a girder trailer before!

Many thanks.

Steven

QTXAdsy likes this.
  9. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Not long after arriving at Lochty the Railway Modeller did a feature with number 9 and a scale ruler sort of graduated for 4mm/ft. Always made me laugh.

10. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I know nothing of the Lochty railway, but I do know that the owner of 'Beavertail' 1719 has said that he would like to reunite it with 60009 at some point. I wonder if there's any way that can be made to happen before 60009 retires?

QTXAdsy likes this.
  11. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver
    Funny you should mention the Beavertail as the final video of No.9 at Lochty does include it at work, another wee rare find!

Notice the rather large wheelslip No.9 does when leaving Lochty station! There was a short but sneaky climb out of the station which the rest afterwards was downhill all the way. I'm sure Mr Cameron and any of his support crew are happy by the footage on show here. I'll have more videos up soon but I'm getting the documentary worked on as I write this. Anyway hope you enjoy this one :)

12. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Interesting that in that clip 1719 still seems to have all of its original seating. By the time it was restored for use on the GCR I think only about 4 original seats were with it, so it had some non-authentic ones for a while although if memory serves me correctly (sorry, haven't been in it for a while) it now has replicas of the originals (plus the four-ish restored originals, of course). Anyway, I wonder where the rest of them went?

13. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy New Member

Shuttle Driver
    It's another wee update now, it's the Peckett working at Lochty!

Note in the video you can see it struggle with two coaches up a steep incline and a cameo of WPR No.16 near the end, interesting to think both these locomotives are now at Brechin.