If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lochaber - Och No

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by BiggerBob, Feb 12, 2009.

1. BiggerBob

BiggerBob New Member

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Articl ... 6?UserKey=
    ‘funding issues’ put paid to multimillion tourism move
    Plan to restore Fort railway hits the buffers
    Published: 11/02/2009
    An ambitious project to restore a railway that once ran in the foothills of Ben Nevis, near Fort William, has hit the buffers.
    Supporters of the Lochaber Railway Company have abandoned the multimillion-pound tourism project because of “funding issues”.
    It is understood the company has been unable to raise sufficient capital to finance further feasibility, engineering and business studies.
    Company chairman Hector Maclean could not be contacted for comment last night. But a member said: “It was a great idea but required considerable funding which was just not available.”
    The company had proposed restoring the narrow-gauge railway – known affectionately as the Puggie Line – which was operated by the former British Aluminium Company in Lochaber from 1925 until its closure in 1977.
    It was used to carry materials and manpower during construction of the company’s power station and smelter at Fort William.
    Under the latest scheme, a station would be provided on the outskirts of Fort William at Lochybridge near the Ben Nevis Distillery. Around 250 yards of new track bed would be constructed to Meall an t-Suidhe, where it would link up with the now defunct Puggie Line.
    The 15in gauge railway would follow the Puggie route to the Aonach Mor ski and mountain biking resort with a spur running down to Lochaber Rural complex at Torlundy.
    In the longer term, it could have been extended into the Leanachan Forest and on to Loch Treig, from where the smelter obtains it hydro-generated electric power, providing not only an added tourist attraction but filling a public transport gap, claimed supporters.
    Landowners, including British Alcan, the Ben Nevis Distillery and Forestry Commission Scotland, had backed the project, which had also drawn support from former chairman of British Railways Scotland, John Cameron, who farms near Elie in Fife,
    unquote

2. meeee

meeee Member

Another scheme to resurrect this line fails. Its a shame really the first 5 miles out of Fort William were 1 in 25 practically all the way, would have taken some beefy 15in locos to tackle that. Then there's all those curved trestle bridges and the stunning scenery.

http://alanmitchell.fotopic.net/c1239040.html photos of whats left of the original 3ft line here.

Tim

3. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Interesting. With those kind of gradients you could make Scotlands answer to the WHR. Couple of NGG16s and NGG15s with bogie stock hammering up 1 in 25 in the foothills of ben nevis is appealing. Santa specials with real snowploughs doing their job, anyone?

4. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Someone who lives near me has a steam locomotive that was reguaged from 3' and he said it came from a Gas Works in Fort William, could this be the same railway? Just a stab in the dark!

I think its a shame this project hasn't taken off, there is a real lack of heritage railways in Scotland and this could of been the corner stone of a revival!

5. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Probably this loco http://andysleigh.fotopic.net/p53583794.html

Allan Thomson likes this.
  6. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yes thats Barry's! Thanks!

7. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

I take it that is the adapted KS "Brazil" class loco that was on show (sans tanks) at Hollycombe when Palmerston was visiting ? Is it going to be running there regularly this year ?

Richard

8. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    I don't think so, last time I was at Barry's she was looking lonely at the back of his shed, he has been focusing on his Fieldhbahn loco, although if I remember correctly she has her well tank back on...

9. Now its a shame that this didnt come to fruition i do imagine it would be very well patronised

10. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well it might not have been viable. The WHR and FHR are so much more "reachable" than Fort William. I have walked the eastern half and would like to see it made more accessible as a path/cycle track (there are some fairly heroic stream crossings at present). It was doable with a train back from Spean Bridge to Tulloch.

JLH

11. Knowyoudid

Knowyoudid New Member

What a pitty!, that whould have been such an intersting operation, and additional interest to the 'Jacobite' customers, and general tourists.

12. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Wow, what a railway this would've been! Lets hope that this isn't completely shelved and once the economic climate is a bit more positive can be looked at again. I find it very odd though that this hasn't been publicised more in the railway press and there doesn't appear to be a website for the revival scheme. Certainly this is the first i've heard of it and it would seem a few of the other posters are 'new' to this proposal-maybe better publicity would've attracted more support and funding? I would disagree that this railway wouldn't be viable. Yes, Fort William is a long way for us southerners but it is the most accessible part of the Highlands and attracts many visitors, many of them foreign. Don't forget the Caledonian Sleeper can get you there for 10.30am. Try and get a ticket on the Jacobite without pre-booking to see how popular steam trains are up there. Steam past Ben Nevis & Aanoch Mor? Got to be a winner! Lets hope that this idea isn't forgotten..