If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LNWR Teutonic class 2-2-2-0 three cylinder compound

Discussion in 'Photography' started by neildimmer, Nov 25, 2017.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

The LNWR Teutonic class was a class of 10 passenger three-cylinder compound 2-2-2-0 locomotives designed by F. W. Webb for the London and North Western Railway, and manufactured by them in their Crewe Works between 1889 and 1890.
    The design featured a boiler pressed to 175 lbf/in2 (1.21 MPa) delivering saturated steam to two outside 14-inch (356 mm) high-pressure cylinders, which exhausted to one 30-inch (762 mm) low-pressure cylinder inside the frames. All three cylinders had a stroke of 24 inches (610 mm); the high-pressure cylinders drove the rear wheels, while the low-pressure drove the leading driving wheels. As the two pairs of driving wheels were not connected, the locomotives were "duplex drive" or "double-singles".
    They were a development of Webb's Dreadnought class; they larger driving and leading wheels, and the additions of cylinder tail rods (which were later removed). There were also further modifications to the Joy valve gear, but the seven locomotives built in 1890 had the inside cylinder worked by slip-eccentric valve gear instead from new.[1]
    Of the ten locomotives, nine were named after ships of the White Star Line, the exception was named after a character in a Walter Scott novel, as it was exhibited at the Edinburgh International Exhibition of 1890.
    When George Whale become chief mechanical engineer of the LNWR in 1903, he started a programme of eliminating Webb's over-complicated duplex compound locomotives. Consequently, the class was scrapped between October 1905, and July 1907, having been replaced by Whale's Experiment class

1304 Jeanie Deans

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LMSSteam/18711903-LNWR-Francis-Webb/Webb-Tender-locomotives/Teutonic-Class-compound-2-2-2-0-locomotives/i-HGbhWZq
    [​IMG]
    Teutonic Class compound 2-2-2-0 locomotives - Railway-Photography

railway-photography.smugmug.com
    railway photographs from the last 100 years
    1306 Ionic

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LMSSteam/18711903-LNWR-Francis-Webb/Webb-Tender-locomotives/Teutonic-Class-compound-2-2-2-0-locomotives/i-rShPNCf
    [​IMG]
    Teutonic Class compound 2-2-2-0 locomotives - Railway-Photography

railway-photography.smugmug.com
    railway photographs from the last 100 years

Neil

30854 likes this.
  2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Whatever else they were, they certainly were lovely looking machines. Has anyone got a clue that flat topped bell shaped object in the foreground of the lower shot (of 'Ionic') is, or what it's doing there?

240P15 likes this.
  3. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Bollard?
    Actually the Teutonics were pretty good machines by contemporary standards. Their flaws (mainly the non-coupled wheels and huge middle cylinder which wouldn't be balanced) seem bonkers in hindsight but in the early 1880s they made some sense in light of what was then understood about locomotive design. Some people seem to feel frustrated as if the Teutonics could perhaps have been better if only he'd coupled the wheels and gone for two smaller inside cylinders. Of course that's precisely what Webb did to develop the Jubilee.

30854 likes this.
  4. 30854

Retired
    Webb's compounds fascinate me. Received wisdom always pillories him, but O.S.Nock (who never designed a loco AFAIK) aside, precisely what information do we have? Whale clearly wasn't a fan, but I suspect there's more ...... much more ...... behind the history we're all familiar with. (Cue X Files theme!)

240P15 likes this.
  5. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It will be a capstan used for rope shunting.

andrewshimmin and 30854 like this.
  6. 30854

Retired
    Noteworthy that Whale initiated a rebuild of the Webb Jubilees (and Alfred the Greats) into the Renown class 2-IC 'simples'. Even rebuilt (some under the LMS), they didn't surive beyond 1931. You have to wonder whether the later rebuilds were economically worthwhile, as the writing seems to have been on the wall by the start of Fowler's reign.