If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Patriot Project Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Gav106, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Raising the Pressure_Facebook.jpg

You will all be aware we received a setback when LNWR Heritage decided to end all
    sub-contract work meaning they would not be completing the construction of the boiler
    for The Unknown Warrior. At present we are working hard to find a new supplier but
    cannot say exactly when this will be, but it is likely be known in the next couple of months,
    therefore we need to ensure we have the funds available when the construction restarts.
    For that reason, we are launching our Raising the Pressure! appeal for funds dedicated
    to the completion of the boiler.
    We are looking to raise £250,000 dedicated to the boiler construction, manufacture of the
    boiler cladding and installation of the boiler into the locomotive chassis.
    Can you help us raise the funds we require?
    You can make a donation (which will attract 25% Gift Aid if you are a UK taxpayer) or you
    can sponsor a specific boiler part such as Steel Stays at £7 each up to the Superheater
    Header Casting at £2,220 (see http://www.lms-patriot.org.uk/sponsorship for a full list).
    Please send your donation to: Raising the Pressure! The LMS-Patriot Company Ltd.,
    The Hub, 17 Eastgate Street, Stafford ST16 2LZ or to donate by card call the office on
    01785 244156. You can also donate online at http://www.lms-patriot.org.uk/raising-the-pressure

aron33 likes this.
  2. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the update, Gav. Can you give us an outline of the remaining work on the boiler and firebox that needs to be funded after the completion of the work by LNWR Heritage? What's done and what's left to do? Thanks.

3. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, when it leaves LNWR Crewe it will have a completely riveted inner firebox, a fully welded and ready to fit foundation ring, outer firebox door plate formed and ready to fit, outer firebox crown and sides ready to fit, outer firebox throat plate welded from 4 pieces all formed and ready to fit and the barrel sections have been riveted together. Plus at llan we have the front tube plate already in the firebox (loose fitted). I believe the castings for the dome etc are either on order or already done along with many other parts. So who ever gets the contract will have to assemble the lot. Drill and fit all the stays, tube it, fit the dome, safety valves etc etc. There is a lot of work to do but if we can get a supplier that will concentrate on our boiler as a priority job then there is no reason that the progress can't be steady rather than on and off as it has been. But of course we need to pay them! Wink wink nudge nudge

4. aron33

aron33 Member

It has been several months. Anything regarding the chassis and anything on a new comtractor for the boiler?

5. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

It was suggested in SR and elsewhere that the boiler contractor was going to be appointed in October, and even with this she wasn't going to steam until 2019, I assume that this is slipping again sadly.

Website suggests that Contracts for completion of the boiler works were signed on Friday (10/11) and thus contractor will I assume be announced shortly.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    The AGM was held on 11 November (I wasn't able to attend regrettably) so we may get some more news very soon. Gav106 is pretty good at keeping us informed here.

7. pwsw5054

pwsw5054 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Statement put out on Facebook saying that the project now cannot use anything to do with the Royal British Legion.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

8. BanburyKev

BanburyKev New Member

The latest Engineering Report will be posted on our web site later today. A copy will be posted here as usual.

With regards to the boiler, we signed the contract with our new suppliers on Friday 10th November. For contractual reason a formal announcement will be made towards the end of the month.

Kinghambranch, GWR4707 and Gav106 like this.
  9. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    I am flabbergasted at the news I am reading on Facebook.

On the one hand some form of "in writing" permission should have been procured from the outset. This is hindsight: what is done is done.

I have no doubt the Patriot project acted in good faith, as we all do.

The RBL's attitude, if accurate, is astonishing and very short sighted. The possibilities for media attention with a national memorial steam locomotive are vast.

Perhaps the Patriot Project would consider supporting one of the other armed forces charities that do good work - perhaps one of the smaller ones which directly help ex-servicemen in some way?

If not perhaps some link with the military of this country in some way - as Tornado and Prince of Wales have done - would be a good move?

Either way I despair at the shortsightedness of this. Marketing is king. We have rediscovered recently that steam locomotives draw crowds and are eminently markable. The mutual benefits of the RBL and the Patriot Project are absolutely clear. I do not understand the perception the RBL have of the Project Project. It is ludicrous.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  10. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

I've seen a suggestion that the crest of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission be used instead. Not the worst idea in the world.

aron33, ghost, siquelme and 2 others like this.
  11. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

I think the RBL are getting a bit over-cautious as to who they endorse as there are a few organisations using rememberance to rather unsavoury political ends. Several anti-immigration groups, for instance, selling poppy merchandise with the implication that it's supporting soldiers when it isn't, that sort of thing.

Not that I agree with them on this occasion, and as stated in the statement, there is the issue of implied financial support, but I think as a general rule they're being rather more cautious about any associations.

12. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    I just hope that the RBL haven't shot the Patriot Society in the foot... I'm wondering how many members may have signed up due to the RBL connection, rather than the Locomotive connection. Hopefully it won't affect the project, but what's the betting they'll want to be back on board once they see a nice shiny new engine out on the Main Line attracting hordes of followers...

The Patriot Project has always said on the homepage that the Locomotive was being built "with the endorsement of" the RBL... NOT "is being funded by".

Richard.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  13. Kinghambranch

Retired
    I don't have Facebook so I'm not sure of the detail but I took this photo at Llangollen in May 2010 and the banner clearly states "endorsed" and not "sponsored" or even "supported." I'm well aware that words and/or slogans need to be chosen carefully but I would assume that "endorsement" would have been granted in writing. (Edit-Sorry Richard beat me to it!)
    Picture1.jpg

14. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Here's the Facebook posting transcript:

15. GWR4707

I think sadly that the RBL have been getting themselves into something of a pickle on a number of fronts this year, we have had much news up here of them naming and shaming on social media shops in the Blackpool area who chose not to take collection tins (in the majority of cases for entirely reasonable reasons).

In terms of the Poppy its use has become a little blurred as it has become a national symbol, but sales only actually support one charity, whilst there are a plethora of similar charities who are equally deserving of donation, but this is by the by for what is happening with the Patriot projct who I hope can get themselves over the line after these set backs of the last 6 months.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  16. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Many thanks for copying the transcript.
    I still find it amazing that the then Corporate Comms Director did not have (or more importantly wasn't aware that he didn't have) the autonomous authority to grant such endorsement, particularly as granting it would not involve any funding. Basically the RBL would be getting free publicity.

17. GWR4707

I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye, if nothing else the link between RBL and the project has hardly been kept a secret for the last number of years so I cannot for one minute believe that no one at RBL bar the communications officer was aware of it until now.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  18. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    If one may dare a contrary view, I never felt very happy about that connection. If you want to raise funds to build a new Patriot class locomotive, then that's just fine.

Calling it National memorial locomotive and all the rest of it... Who appointed it National memorial locomotive? What national body was involved?

If one wants a National Memorial locomotive for those who served then how about a locomotive that was there and served too?
    If it started as a project to build a national memorial locomotive why not an SR Remembrance?

But if the project started because a bunch of people wanted to build a Patriot, and thought making the association might be good for publicity and fund raising then I'm distinctly uncomfortable.

I must say I find it very easy to believe that no-one at the RBL beyond steam enthusiasts had any awareness that there name was being associated with the project.

19. AndyY

AndyY Member

I have to say that I think the only losers here will be the RBL.

Andy

17B and Kinghambranch like this.
  20. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Disappointing news, as I thought the link with the RBL would be mutually beneficial.

If the Patriot group is looking for another charity that might appreciate the link-up, how about the Ghurkha Welfare Trust? The Ghurkhas gave fantastic service to Britain in WW2 (and other conflicts), and have since been neglected by successive British governments. The Ghurkha Trust relies on private donations to help these old soldiers live their old age in dignity. I'm sure they would appreciate anything that raises their profile.

g8bvl, Bluenosejohn and weltrol like this.