If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Hughes Crab 42859

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by SpudUk, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    35 locos of 11 classes for the LMS as opposed to 41 locos of 8 classes for the SR, I don't think you can feel too hard done by!!!!

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Indeeed, thankyou, I stand corrected!

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Interesting. Do you have the same data for the LNER and GWR plse?

4. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    LNER, 1 of 1 (B1 61264). Haven't worked out the GWR, or Standards.

5. Sheff

Thanks, I missed the fact he was quoting ex-Barry locos only.

6. Martin Perry

7. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

What i meant by legal action on going was to do with , the wheel sets being found by police after being reported stolen
    and if removal would have any bearing on the court ruling preventing its cutting up , surely the wheel sets will need to be reunited with the loco before it can be moved.
    To the best of my knowledge the owner has never showed any inclination to sell, and my fear is that once moved to Selinge it will be forgotten about again, Brocklebank line went there how many years ago, and with so many former SLL persons involved , i am very surprised that no work has been done, or any attempt has been made to get a Working group established to take this engine on, As i understand it the owning group spent everything getting it moved from GCR, 35011, well thats just wishfull thinking and its only future unless they win the lottery or something will be as a spare boiler for another merchant

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Whilst digressing from the thread, that fact that an appropriate fleet of class 8's exist, and demand for the south of London steam charter market is so high, it seems odd no one has speculated as to purchase 35009, 10, 11, 22, 25 and made a start at a "fleet" of locomotives for serving that market, especially as the 50th anniversary of 1967 southern steam is coming.

indeed the constant shortage of class 8's that exists, is odd considering there is only 1 MN on the mainline, and 8 (35006, 9, 10, 11, 18, 22, 25, 27) more with potential unfulfilled and only one actually "getting somewhere" close, and at that, it isn't going mainline is it ?

9. martin butler

Problem is and this is probally true to the crab situation that they get purchased, get stripped then go no further and the owner cant afford the costs of putting them back together again,as was the case with 35018, Owners then go into a state of self denyal thinking that given time they can do it but then in the full ness of time you get the situation that the engine sits there in limbo with no real posibility of the engine actually being restored ,unless the owner parts with it, i fully expect that in due course once SLL run out of Buillieds to restore that both of the buillieds at selinge will end up at helston.

10. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Think there was a typographical error there Martin , if they go to Helston they are going to be way out of most peoples reach , perhaps you meant the place at Swanage --- Herston

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Back on-topic re the Crab, does anyone actually have current contact with the owner and is aware of his present intentions, if any?

12. martin butler

Whoops, yes it was an error i did mean Herston, not Helston in cornwall and why, because the owning group it would seem do not have either the manpower or the funds to complete what has already been done, i don't think Selinge has the facilities to undertake it, not without a massive influx of funds and the building of a restoration shed and that is an extra fund raising to be done as well as raising funds to restore the engines

13. Martin Perry

I doubt that SLL would have the wherewithal to do the job either now that they are into overhauling what they previously restored.

14. cauliflower

cauliflower New Member

Please can anybody tell me if there have been any developments with 42859 ? Not heard anything for ages - it seems to be a bit like Brigadoon, appearing once every 100 years then falling out of memory !

15. Sheff

It was all doom and gloom in the last report in SR, which was, IIRC, either in the form of a retraction of their previous bullish news, or a letter from the owner putting the record straight.

16. Mookie1340

Mookie1340 Guest

Hello, has there been any development on 42859?

17. philw2

philw2 Member

There's an article in Steam Rly saying that some of the remains have been moved to a 'secret' location. The rest is still either lost or under the control of the Courts.

A contact tells me the 'secret' location is in the Swindon area and not Sellindge..

Mookie 6100 likes this.
  18. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Did your contact want you to post this information on NatPres so lots of other people could read it?

Richard

19. Mookie1340

Mookie1340 Guest

Thanks philw2, it's good to know that there's still an interest in 42859.

20. JWKB

JWKB Member

It's not much or a secret then. Although nothing surprising in those suggested site given the engine owner also owns Arkells brewery in Wilts.