If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS 45690 Winter CME 21st Jan 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by sgthompson, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Further to my earlier post, I've heard that effect myself when obverseving steam under the wires so I stand by my original theory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  2. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Double Shap Jubilee 21 January 2017

RTC's first run of the year is always Manchester to Carlisle and return, but the actual journey rarely corresponds with the detais advertised. This year was no exception: Leander instead of the Riley Fives, Shap both ways with no Cumbrian Coast, and steam off in Lancashire rather than all the way back to Manchester.

On this frosty morning we loped through Salford in the 40s and across Chat Moss in the 50s before turning north on the West Coast Main Line. Leaving Wigan two minutes late, we reached Boars Head at 33, Coppull summit at 46 and 62 at Balshaw Lane before being held outside Preston until time.

It was then that we learned why we were feeling the cold. The only vacuum braked, ETH fitted 47 at Carnforth had failed in the small hours so the formation had been brought to Manchester by a 37 with no ETH. The steam heating was only serving part of the train but fitters would attend at Carnforth.

After a pathing stop at Barton we reached 60 at Garstang, 67 at Galgate and continued in the 60s to the outskirts of Lancaster where we were stopped by signals. Accelerating through the station at 25, we reached 52 at Hest Bank before going into the loop at Carnforth.

On departure, Mick Rawlings had handed the regulator over to Steve Chipperfield. We were quickly up to 34 and topped Yealand Summit at 30. We reached 57 in the dip at Milnthorpe then speed dropped gradually as we got stuck into the climb: 50 at Hincaster Junction, 43 at Oxenholme and 34 at Docker before dropping to the 20s and entering the loop at Grayrigg.

Setting off from there in continuing beautiful sunshine, we galloped down the Lune Valley reaching 46 by Low Gill and 67 by Tebay. Then as we tackled the climb, speeds fell to 55 at Greenholme, 39 at Scout Green, 30 at Salterwath, 25 at Shap Wells and a minimum of 19 just before the summit. Over the other side, we reached 56 at Shap Station, 64 at Thrimby Grange then up into the high 70s by Clifton and Lowther. The brisk pace continued through to the outskirts of Penrith, passed at 70. We were back into the higher 70s by Plumpton, reaching a peak near Brisco and only slowing on the final approach to Carlisle, where we were stopped at Upperby 10 minutes before our scheduled arrival time.

It was only then that I learnt that we not only had 11 coaches behind the drawbar, but the Class 37 diesel had stayed on the rear, despite its uselessness for ETH. That calls into question Leander's apparent good performance, since one cannot believe that she lifted the equivalent of 14 coaches over Shap entirely unaided. There is no doubt however that Leander was working very hard and both the uphill and downhill running seemed truly exhilarating, before I realised the true position.

I could muster little interest in the performance on our return with Mick Kelly to Carnforth, where a Class 57 with air brakes was substituted for Leander and we arrived back in Manchester on time.

14 photographs are at http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/p799617646

Peter from a cold grey Manchester
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com

3. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Ahhhhh Yes - 'the others' I dont think I saw them on Saturday. :(

RalphW, 60017 and richards like this.
  4. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Somewhat behind the curve but nevertheless here's another video of Leander's run on the 21st:

5. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Crackin stuff David What a day that was ,tremendous light

6. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Brilliant

7. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Marvelous video David, dramatic lighting in the Lune Gorge and hardly a hint of a breeze makes for a sublime spectacle. Well worth the wait and many thanks for sharing. Cheers, Alan

8. Linesider

Many thanks Henry, Shep and Alan - much appreciated. Don't get too many days like that up there!

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Amazing, simply amazing. It put me off completely what was lurking at the back! Talk about a steam locomotive painting its own picture of the landscape.

ragl likes this.
  10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Linesider (the mountain goat) does it again, what a climb to get there and what a stunning result.

11. Linesider

Many thanks Al and Ralph, much appreciated. Even a pair of 68s on a freight looked ok from up there ;)

12. Fulwood Flyer

Fulwood Flyer New Member

Continuing the 'late submission' theme, here's another shot of Leander as she heads away from Carlisle

Attached Files: