If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Llangollen Photo Guide: brief, others can add too!

Discussion in 'Photographic Guides' started by martyn63601, Jan 16, 2007.

1. martyn63601

martyn63601 Member

Teacher
    Hi there all, as someone suggested a photo guide for the Llangollen Railway i thought i would start one off and let other people add to it, i only have a few locations and thought others could add to it.

Right the first few locations are around Llangollen and the main road alongside goods junction.

The first location is on Llangollen station and i know it isn't the most ecstatic of places but you can get quite a few nice shots of loco standing or leaving the station and its authentic settings:

5199 leaving Llangollen http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826797.html this is taken from the road bridge at the Carrog end of the station and is quite use full for smokey departures especially in cold spring mornings.

48773 standing in Llangollen station http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826820.html if you position the loco in the frame you can get the loco standing with a 5 length train that looks suitable in the surroundings of the station, such as the length of houses and the station building and bridge

The next selection of images are around the good junction area and the following two images of 6430 on the auto-coach show pictures form the river side of the line and these locations were accessed by a crossing (across the line) gate onto a field that is located along the main road (A539) out of Llangollen station past near Prentrefilin sidings

http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826813.html
    http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826811.html

The other handy location along there is the platform or stand that is next to the track before the crossing where you can get images of the locos leaving at quite a speed out of Llangollen Goods junction and this is proven by my image of 5199 here http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826814.html

Obviously there are more locations along Goods junction closer to Llangollen station but i have none of these too show so maybe some others can give examples of these.

The next location along the line is Berwyn and the links below show views of 6430 in the station around the settings of the buildings (timeless settings for GWR locos) and an image form the bridge to the carrog end of 3802 passing through the station for a well used portrait shot.

http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826805.html
    http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826808.html

After Berwyn there are many places such as Gwndrfry (however you spell it) and Carrog but i could not get to these location during my visit last April so here is another slot that needs to be filled by others and hopefully they will as there are many landscape shots that can be taken and create authentic shots.

The final location is Carrog and you can both take pics of the locos arriving (need long telephoto lens) along the curve from Gwndryffry and also in between the new signalling posts now in force at the station. There are also many still shots that can be taken of the loco next to the station buildings to create authentic shots and timeless scenes.

7822 shot shows how you can catch the loco running through the curves before the station http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826832.html

6430 around the station settings http://martyn3143.fotopic.net/p27826830.html

Like i said it is a very brief photo guide but i thought i would just start the ball rolling, hope this is of use, Martyn Tattam[/url]

2. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are a couple of good locations at Glyndyfrdwy. One is of trains arriving from Llangollen taken from the playground field opposite the station.
    http://lee-rail-pics.fotopic.net/p35370556.html

The other is taken from a footpath at the end of the Llangollen bound trains platform which takes you to the disused signal box.
    [​IMG]

3. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

A few more locations -
    From Llangollen station, along the A542 [Abbey Road] ther is a spot at the side of the road near the bottom of the incline from the loco shed, trains leaving Llangollen can be photographed from here -
    http://www.steampics.com/html/lr077.html.
    On the A5 between Llangollen and Berwyn there is a lay-by which overlooks Deeside Loop. -
    http://www.steampics.com/html/lr073.html.
    Just past Berwyn station [going towards Corwen] there is a lane on the right which goes over the railway then turns left and runs parallel to the line. From here you can photograph trains leaving Berwyn towards Glyndyfrdwy -
    http://www.steampics.com/html/lr100.html, and approaching in the other direction -
    http://www.steampics.com/html/lr021.htm.
    The lane here is wide enough for a few cars to park.
    Further along the A5, past the turning for Glyndyfrdwy station, the line runs quite close to the road and if you park on the grass verge you can get this shot of trains heading towards Carrog. -
    http://www.steampics.com/html/lr075.html.
    Carrying on along the A5 towards Carrog ther are a few more spots where the line can be seen -
    http://www.steampics.com/html/lr087.html, but parking is difficult along this stretch so a walk may be involved.

Hope these help, any more anyone?

Tim.

4. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    To assist with the 6880 Gala at Llangollen I have put up a few videos. The quality is not amazing, I have only uploaded these to give an idea to people who have not been to Lllangollen before.

The first one is of 3802 leaving Goods Jctn. This enhances Martyn's 2 shots of 6430 with the autocoach. Access is through the gate which is visible as I swing round. To get here, leaving from Llangollen, as you come to cross over the canal there is a left turn downhill. You eventually come to Pentrefellin sidings where there is a crossing.

2nd video is leaving Berwyn Stn taken from the same location as Martyn's shot of 3802. The A5 is clearly heard to the right of where I am standing

Final Video I have uploaded is of 48773 just after departing Glyndyfrdwy heading onto what is known as the Carrog straight. This is just before Tim's final picture. Access is again off the A5. There is a few cottages as shown in the image below. There is a footpath from what I remember opposite these leading down to the line. *Image from the Llangollen Rly Website
    [​IMG]

5. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    How long does it take to walk from Glyndyfrdwy station to Garthydwr?

6. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    I'd say give yourself 20 mins. Depends how fast you walk aswell. Parts of the route are uphill, and depending how much camera equipment you have as well, the time may vary.

There is a 'shortcut' on the route for walkers in a footpath. Obv though a car would still be faster but by foot it would quicken you up.

Would it be worth taking a mountain bike I wonder? Go in the guards part of the train then cycle to the various locations. :-k A possibility maybe...

7. lil Bear

Railway Technician
  8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Are the cottages on the A5 ? (ie to mark where where the footpath roughly is), the pic you linked with them on no longer seems to be working.

Also i've seen a shot between Glyndyfrdwy & Carrog looking down on a straight section of track that's good for eastbound trains, am i right im thinking this is the same location but facing the other way and further up the hill ?.

9. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Re:

Are you referring to the classic shot of the train departing Glyndyfrdwy for Llangollen which is used for the cover of their 2008 timetable leaflet?

10. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Approach to Berwyn Tunnel is also a good location, on the road!!
    NOT TRESSPASSING!!

11. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    And also requires trespassing seeing as there are no lineside passes..

12. lil Bear

Railway Technician
  13. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I want to travel by train to the stations and then get out and walk to a photo spot. I'm thinking about Glyndyfrdwy and walking from there to Garthydwr. Is it possible to walk along the A5 road on a path or verge or is it a dangerous place to be when on foot?

Thanks,

Paul

14. Columbine

Columbine Member

The farmer at Garthydwr quite often puts up notices saying that if you cross his palm with £2 you can walk all over his land. If you take advantage of this there are some superb shots to be had in that area. Car parking on lay-by on A5 and then walk down to farm.

Another location is Dee-side halt. Again leave car in lay-by and walk down to halt on foot. Lots of good locations there, but a pair of wellies can come in handy if you want to stray off the bridle way, the ground is marshy.

The footpath from A5 to Ty-Newedd near Glyndyfrdwy is well worth looking at, as is a shot over a five barred gate at Ty-Newedd from the minor road leading to Garthydwr.

On the opposite side of the river near to Berwyn at Horseshoe Falls is a very pretty location with a public footpath available by the river.

The two 'normal' shots of Berwyn are taken either from the bridge taking a track off the A5 towards the tunnel or the road that runs under the railway. I don't like these partly because there isn't a footway so I don't feel comfortable wrt safety ... but ... the road that runs under the railway again turns through 90 deg after crossing the river. As it turns through the angle there is a position on a bank above the road that is safe and affords an excellent view of the station.

After the bridge near to Berwyn the road turns into a track towards the tunnel. Whatever you do DON'T take a car too far up this track as I did once! Big trouble! But you can get some shots of the exit from the tunnel but you will need a stepladder because the railway is above the level of the bridleway.

At Llangollen, on the opposite side of the river to the station, there are a few positions which offer unusual views of the station. The same is true on the bridge over the Dee at Llangollen where you can observe engines running around trains.

The cemetary at Llangollen gives good views of the entrance/exit of the station, marred only by the railway storing its out-of-use rolling stock here. Entrance off the A542 at Llangollen just after the station, walk past some railway houses and left over the bridge. There are a limited number of car parking spots at the cemetary site

The kids swing-park at Glyndyfrdwy has a number of good locations, as has the footpath above the platform near to the signal box.

At Carrog there is a farm track leading off the A5 through a five barred gate. I haven't personally tried this spot although I have seen enthusiasts on it. Carrog Station is a good location for photography particularly at its eastern end.

You can use Google Earth to check the position of the lay-byes mentioned above and then transfer the co-ords into your sat-nav. Well worth doing.

I was going to do a guide for the Llangollen, it's good to be beaten to it!

Regards

15. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Check my Fotopic, OS maps on there. There is a footpath all alongside the A5 though to answer your question.

16. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Thanks lil bear.

Regards,

Paul

17. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    what an excellent and helful thread, thanks guys =D>

18. Ponk

Ponk New Member

Which farm? Where does the farmer who owns the field live? I can identify what look like farmhouses on Google Earth - which is it of those?

Thanks.

19. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    It's the farm at the bottom of the bridleway, past the popular location on the curve by the signal.

20. Ponk

Ponk New Member

Thanks.