If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Last pre BR corporate blue liveried coaches

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by OldChap, Feb 3, 2009.

1. OldChap

OldChap Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Idle curiosity has kicked in after reading one of the posts on the diesel section about the last BR Blue locomotive is traffic, so does anyone know for sure when the last pre BR corporate blue liveried coaches were in traffic, BRS Green and all regions Maroon? In fact what about blood and custard and Western region Chocolate and Cream also?

I do recall somewhere reading about an entire rake of Maroon Mk1’s being marshaled together in for charter work right up to the late 1970’s? and the odd Blood & Custard vehicles floating about until 1964/5. I'm guessing SR green went by 1969 and the WR livery by 1963/4...

2. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

my earliest recollexctioon would be 1969 and i think everything was more or less blue and grey then on the WR...(except of course for full brakes and other vehicles used for parcels traffic which were in brake dust brown mostly and many pre-nationalistion survivors were to be seen probably up to the end of the seventies. At this stage everything in passenger use was Mk1 except for some Gresley buffets (on the WR I mean )

3. Steamchest

Steamchest New Member

Coach driver
    Yes, I'd concur with that. I remember being fascinated one day in 1975 to see a blue and grey Gresley buffet in the formation of a down train at Exeter St Davids. I've got photos of it at home but from memory it was E9135E.

John.

4. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

id agree with that number except it was W9135E (ie it was running on the WR but had ER origin.

5. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can remember that the Birkenhead to Paddington trains had both chocolate & cream & carmine & cream coaches mixed in with the maroon ones until late 1966 & possibly into 1967.
    There were still Hawksworth coaches about ,but these were all maroon by this time.

Bob.

6. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can confirm it was W9135E - I photographed it at Paignton in 1973

Cheers, Neil

7. OldChap

OldChap Member

1966/7... wow I thought that the WR abandoned the regional livery scheme by 1962 and B&C was replace in 1956! so these must have been at least between 4 and 10 years without a repaint! I wouldn't have thought that in 1966 B&C could (in theory) been marshelled in a train with Chocolate and Cream, Maroon and Blue Grey!

When were the last of each company designed loco hauled carrages withdrawn ?

SR - Bulleid 1968?
    WR - Hawksworths 1968?
    LM - Stainer 1975?
    ER - Gresley 1977?

8. islc52

islc52 New Member

Hello All - newcomer here

I'm interested in the Gresley Buffet car mentioned here, W9135E. I saw it at Paddington in the mid seventies and I've just converted a Hornby model to the rebuilt configuration. My problem is I can't find enough detail to finish the roof. Don't suppose anyone has a picture they could post?

Also delighted to hear that Chocolate and Cream Mk Is were about until the late sixties. I remember seeing one in a mixed rake, mostly B/G or Maroon, Warship-hauled, on a weekend fishing trip to the Kennet and Avon Canal, I'm guessing '67 or '68. It must have been post-steam or I'd have paid more attention, having foolishly lost interest in railways for a few years. I had a lot of catching up to do in 1975 when the bug bit me again!

Many thanks

9. hassell_a

hassell_a Member

Do these help?
    http://railphotoanthology.fotopic.net/p50498387.html
    http://johnlawontherails.fotopic.net/p38286709.html
    http://western-champions-pics-online.fo ... 49411.html

10. TonyW

TonyW New Member

11. islc52

islc52 New Member

Thank you both for responding. I've been involved in work and could not reply sooner.

All the images are most useful for details, eg position of electrification flashes and 'Buffet', plus confirmation that it carried the red catering stripe above the grey. Still short of roof detail unfortunately, but thanks again.

12. 45581

45581 Part of the furniture

There was a green liveried coach working over Woodhead in early Jan 1970.