If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

L & B today

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by daddsie, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Selsig

Selsig Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Are you referring to the sepia tinted photo at the bottom of that page? The modern sign and passengers on the platform give away that photo as 2017 vintage.

John

Jamessquared likes this.
  2. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

''Twas a jest, that I think the rest of us got....?

Beckford and SpudUk like this.
  3. The Booking Clerk

The Booking Clerk New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Indeed, more photo shops than work shops. :) Seriously though it was a wonderful to see LYN in action on friday, a personal dream realised which all began with a photo in a little book I was given as a present when I was nine years old. It was 'The Historic Locomotive Pocketbook' by H C Casserley with photos on P 153 of LEW and LYN in SR livery, with the enormous looking word SOUTHERN filling the side tanks. That was one of those strange times in life when I wished I had been born 40 years earlier so I could have seen such sights, but now I have! Thanks again to all those who have worked so hard to achieve that dream and who have supported financially and with sponsorship. What next I wonder??

John

Mark Thompson, brmp201 and 30854 like this.
  4. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    In my case, it was a description of a journey on the line in my now lost copy of "The Official Guide to the London and South Western Railway 1913". No photos, but a very nice (looked like) pencil rendering of an L&B train.

The Booking Clerk likes this.
  5. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

something very similar for me too. Like finding the door into a secret garden. Pictures of a lost world, and like you, the regret that you found it 40 years too late. But maybe it's not too late after all...

ross and 30854 like this.