If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kriegslok to British loading gauge

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Martin Perry, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I remember reading or hearing years ago (Sorry I can not remember where) that the Germans had allegedly built a series of Kriegslok type locos to British loading gauge, in anticipation of a different result to the Battle of Britain etc.
    Can anyone advise if this was in fact true, and if so; did any of these locos survive?

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    The Battle of Britain was 1940, the Kriegsloks didn't appear until 1942 by which time the Germans were up to their eyeballs with the Red Army on the Eastern Front. I doubt much consideration was being given by then to invading Britain and building some locos for the aftermath.

3. blackfive

blackfive Member

AFAIK there were plans for British loading gauge locos but nothing was ever built.

4. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

The original mention came from Bob Symes-Schutzman ( hope I've got the name right) in Railway World inthe 1960's in connection with the original Waverley Route preservation project - the Border Union Railway. He proposed to import such locomtives to work the railway. Whether they existed to import in fact I've no idea, though I occasionally wondered, which has kept the thought in my mind to the present.

The same chap popped up many years later having built a radio controlled live steam gauge 1 bulleid powered by 3 camping gaz nozzles in the firebox which sounded quite a beast. I believe he was a professional engineer and broadcaster.

Tim

5. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

None were built. I have heard that a design was made but it is not mentioned in either of the english language books I have on the class. By the time production hit its peak in 1943 Germany were in retreat so I am sure it wasn't top of the list of priorities!

6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

After I had first posted on the matter, I remembered that that was where my info came from.
    According to Wikipedia, Bob Symes-Schutzman is/was connected with the Ffestiniog Railway; has anyone there got means of contact to find out more?
    Also ref Kreigsloks; I did say Kreigslok type locos - I am not sure of the exact type/class, so that may account for no mention in histories of that (those) class(es).

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

150 of them were built by North British also known as WD 2-10-0's :)

8. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Bob Symes is a former Tomorrows World presenter and eminent model engineer and railway enthusiast. He has been closely involved in a few projects including the Bloney Chamby museum railway in Austria. In the mid 1970's he made a facinating BBC TV series on Models, including buyilding a OO model of Horsted Keynes Station and took some film of live steam operations at my model engineering club, the North London Society. If you put NLSME into you tube you will find the clip there. He was also a member od the Society of Model and Experimental Engineers and built a Class 47 in Gauge 1 which was genuenly desel electric powered - the first such locomotive built, according to a book in my local library. His only connection with the Ffestiniog, though, other than visiting occasionally, is that his present wife was our workshop manager.

9. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Owen, really! The Blonay - Chamby line ain't in Austria!! It's in Switzerland, near Montreux, in the western, french speaking, part of the country. There are a few pictures of it here if you are interested to see them :

http://ronfisher2.fotopic.net/c1526380.html

However, as Bob Symes-Shutzmann is from Austria, could it be that he is/was involved with the Zillertalbahn which is in Austria? ( http://ronfisher.fotopic.net/c1272046.html )

10. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Bob Symes was indeed involved in the early years of the Bloney Chamby, which is indeed in Switzerland. In one of the Making Tracks programs he recalls how they had no coal for the first train so he when to buy some himself. Slip of the pen....keyboard....!