If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KESR axle loadings

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by DisusedBranch, Dec 15, 2016.

I used to volunteer on the KESR - many years ago now - and one of my early memories of it is of the U class 1618 in steam in Tenterden yard, but knowing that it was 'too heavy' to go anywhere south of the level crossing. Ultimately, of course, it went to the Bluebell. (I also remember a fair bit of grumbling at the time that, being a former EKR engine, some felt that the Adams Radial should 'by rights' have been preserved at the KESR!)

Of course I'm aware of the Colonel Stephens empire and what 'light railways' meant in terms of ash embankments, cheap construction and so on. So I know why the U class was pretty much useless for the KESR.

However, I'm curious as to if there are any particular locations on the modern-day KESR where its 'light railway' status still prevents locos over a certain axle weight from going? What's the 'biggest' loco that could - at least theoretically - be used along the entire line in the present day?

For example, the 42xx seems a rather bigger loco than I would have expected at Rolvenden back in the early 1970s, although it does have ten axles...

1. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Only if you walk round counting five each side.:Happy:

Martin Perry and oddsocks like this.
  2. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Most of the line has been relaid. Embankments have been strengthened. I believe the axle weight limit is now 21 tons. (Or. RA8). Open to correction.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Some years ago we were approached regarding a visit by 34081 so they'd obviously upgraded the line to take a Light Pacific at least.

4. You mean you don't? :Wideyed:

jnc likes this.
  5. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    When the standard 4 tank visited I seem to recall that there was a 10mph speed limit on one of the bridges due to its weight, but that bridge had been improved since. Indeed at one time there were 10mph and 15mph limits on two of the bridges, which no longer apply.

6. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

I think that's correct, Wenlock. We had 4247 visit us from Bodmin, but as the weight is spread over 5 axles, she was no problem at all on the weight front. I know a few people watched from behind their fingers as the Standard tank went over the bridges, but again, all was fine. Our P Way team is excellent, and the upgrading work that has been done by them has left us with a line to be proud of.

7. With respect, 'pride' has nothing to do with my purely practical question about axle loadings!:) The KESR is a very, very different animal nowadays to when I was volunteering (I ducked out just after Hexden Bridge was reached, but not yet crossed - thanks to the three-pronged appeal of girls, guitars and beer), but I visited this summer for the first time in years and really enjoyed the trip. In was a nice 'full circle' experience to travel behind 30065 as well, because when I was a kid making a nuisance of myself around the railway it was always my 'favourite' engine.

With the modern day (and evidently enhanced) axle loadings, it would be a nice irony if the Bluebell would be prepared to loan 1618 and it finally manage to traverse the KESR after all these years!

Wenlock likes this.
  8. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting that your comment was a criticism! I was merely praising the good work of the team!

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Could well happen in a few years - the general feeling seems to be that 1618 should be the next MLS loco to be tackled, once 928 has been finished. Could well be working right through to Robertsbridge I guess!

Tom

Wenlock likes this.
  10. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    [​IMG]

Called in today and watched a couple of Satan specials depart.

kestreleyes likes this.
  11. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Should the photo above be Santa special, or is it a case of better the devil you know.

kestreleyes likes this.
  12. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    If you take the six on the number plate, the six on the smokebox and the six on the first carriage you may have a clue...

13. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Its a Satan Special

14. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

its a santa with a difference , the bad boys get to visit Meg :eek: she a dab hand at mince pies

15. paul1609

paul1609 New Member

DisusedBranch, As you would probably be aware the K&ESR on transfer in to preservation was pretty much worn out. One advantage of this is that it has now been completely relaid in the preservation era and standard secondary mainline components have been used such that it has an axle load of 21 tonnes/RA8 in the modern parlance. The limiting factor these days are some clearance issues with the non- standard Colonel Stephens platforms and the length of the loop at Wittersham Road. However these are well known to us and i don't think that 1618 would present any problems.

jnc likes this.
  16. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

My reaction to this talk of 21 ton axle loads on the K.& E.S.R. is best summed up as "C'est magnifique mais ce n'est pas le chemin de fer leger". Fine for GCR or MHR though.

PH

Martin Perry likes this.
  17. Chris B

Chris B New Member

To be fair Paul, as said earlier a lot of the pway was virtually worn out and has been replaced. Obviously the main source of materials is" hand me downs" from the "big railway" so this has lead to a heavier duty set up.

18. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

My reaction to this talk of 21 ton axle loads on the K.& E.S.R. is best summed up as "C'est magnifique mais ce n'est pas le chemin de fer leger". Fine for GCR or MHR though.

PH
    If you are nor very careful this can lead to our old "friend" the ersatz main line. The K.E.S.R. is a more fragile flower than most.

PH

19. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    I don't have a problem. Most light railways came to regret the lightness of their original track. Relaying with heavier track components will give a better ride, ease maintenance and, bearing in mind that the normal axle loadings will be well below the maximum, lead to a longer life.

Wenlock likes this.