If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

K&ESR ANNOUNCES “THE LAST TRAIN’S GONE” GALA!

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Seagull, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Seagull

Seagull Member

Visitors to the Kent & East Sussex Railway’s May Gala on 2nd, 3rd and 4th May will be able to see, and ride behind up to ten historic locomotives as the 10½ mile line operates a series of special trains to recall the services that ran after the cessation of regular passenger services in 1954.

Star attraction is expected to be 113 year-old O1 Class No 65 which was a regular performer on the line in the early 1950s and hauled the last passenger train on and January 1954. The Ashford-built veteran will be visiting, from its base on the Bluebell Railway, for the first time in 54 years – the last time the engine ran on the K&ESR it was in charge of the scrap train that lifted the section from Tenterden to Headcorn! The gala will include a recreation of the contractor’s train and lifting displays with one of the line’s steam cranes.

Another of the locos that worked the last train, “Terrier” 32678 will also be in action at the gala – fresh from an 18-month long overhaul in the K&ESR’s locomotive workshops at Rolvenden. The 1880-built engine will feature along with No. 65 in a recreation of a final train at the culmination of the gala on Monday 4th May.

The line’s second resident “Terrier” No. 3 “Bodiam” is another of 7 steam locomotives scheduled to be in action for what promises to be a spectacular three days. The 137 year-old locomotive was purchased by the K&ESR in 1900, has worked on the line almost ever-since and was amongst the engines that struggled on with goods services between Tenterden and Robertsbridge. Indeed, it was at the head of a farewell special, “The South Eastern Limited”, that ran when the line closed completely in 1961 and will be reunited with classmate No. 662 “Martello” of 1875 vintage with which it “topped and tailed” that excursion. The two diminutive engines will recapture the atmosphere of the special working on Monday 4th May which will feature several “last” trains!

The gala will also highlight the momentous changes the railway underwent during the 1950s and celebrate the saving of the line in the ’60s. Remarkably, seven of the engines to be featured actually ran over K&ESR metals in the ’50s or’60s.

These include P Class No. 753, which had been a regular performer on the line 1930s and ’40s, was purchased by the owner of Hodson’s Mill in Robertsbridge to haul wagons to the mainline after the K&ESR’s closure. The “P” will reprise these workings at the gala which will also see continuing celebrations to mark the locomotive’s Centenary.

A determined battle to rescue the line was fought throughout the 1960s and locomotives and rolling stock destined for scrap were saved from the cutter’s torch and brought to the line. Representing the early arrivals at the-then fledging preservation project will be “USA” Class No. 65 “Maunsell”. The steam line-up is completed by pannier-tank No. 1638 (not Sunday) which remarkably rolled off the Swindon production line in 1951 just as the K&ESR closed – seemingly for good.

The loco roster will be supplemented by three diesels - Drewry D2023 which will evoke memories of similar 0-6-0 diesel locomotives that handled some of the goods traffic in the latter days of the line. The loco will also make a rare appearance on a passenger working on Sunday 3rd May. Another of that day’s services will be in the hands of BTH Diesel No 40 – a very early diesel-electric dating from 1932 – which was used in the late ’60s at Hodson’s Mill.

The locomotive line up will be completed by Class 33 diesel, D6570 “Ashford” which will head demonstration goods and engineering trains on Saturday to give a flavour of the mainline trains passing the K&ESR at its former mainline connections of Robertsbridge and Headcorn. D6570 will also work its only scheduled passenger trains of the year during the gala it will be at the head of the line’s rake of 1930s Southern Railway coaches for the 17.15 departure from Tenterden on Saturday 2nd May to recall the delivery of these vehicles to the line in 1965 when they were hauled by a Class 33. The “Crompton” will also feature on a passenger working on Sunday 3rd.

Passenger services will leave Tenterden Town for Bodiam and return every 45 minutes between 10.30am and 4.30pm on all three days with additional evening trips, including the popular “Fish & Chip Special” on Saturday and “early bird” trips originating at both Tenterden and Northiam on Sunday and Monday.

Further information and tickets are available from http://www.kesr.org.uk or by telephoning 01580 765155.

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Absolutely compulsory attendance! You won't need to twist my arm to come up to enjoy this highly atmospheric event.

Shall book Travelodge in the area mucho pronto.

John

3. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    that sounds really good but youve re-written history...1638 built in 1961?

4. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

That sounds absolutely outstanding, and I really admire the amount of imagination put into the line-up and the different workings. Frustratingly I'm already booked to be working throughout that weekend (on my current contract my 'weekends' are Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and my holiday is in Jan and Dec, so it's not going to be a great year for event attendance) so I will almost certainly miss it, but I might renew my long-lapsed KESR membership at least.

Given the rarity of diesel passenger services on the line, it's worth making sure D6570, D2023 and the BTH diesel's outings are publicised on sites like Preserved Diesels, PLEG and even WNXX too. My Dad briefly volunteered on the KESR in the late 1960s and has always been a big fan of the BTH, but I've never caught it in service and I don't think he has since then either. My only sightings of it were when it looked very forlorn in the siding at the foot of Tenterden bank in the 1990s. Hopefully it will have another run at an event I can attend in the future. Best of luck with all the preparations, the event deserves to be a huge success.

5. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

You should never let facts get in the way of a good story! :-$ :-$

(I think 1961 actually refers to the date of its withdrawal)

6. nanstallon

Retired
    Have just booked accommodation in Tenterden, and looking forward to this event. This is likely to be the branch line enthusiast's gala of the year. Nearest rival being South Devon Rly 40th anniversary celebrations in April, which brings me to the subject of 1638 - being a nice little pannier tank that used to work on the South Devon Rly, then called the Dart Valley Rly. Much though I love both lines, I do miss 1638 working in Devon.

John

7. howardw-s

howardw-s New Member

We're running an 'Advanced Railway Experience' day with the BTH diesel in a couple of months - 4 people from Ford Dagenham (including one who drove it at Dagenham when it was there) are coming to run a freight train up and down the Rother valley a few times. If it's a success we may repeat it with passenger or freight stock - any takers?

8. nanstallon

Retired
    Is the 'Advanced Railway Experience Day' a private event, or can anyone turn up?

John

9. howardw-s

howardw-s New Member

Private, you basically hire the railway for the day, normally two people but we've recently taken four and it worked ok, those not driving or firing (if steam) rode in the train. It's not cheap mind you but a diesel course would be less than steam because the overheads are lower. See http://www.kesr.org.uk/drive/drive_details.htm It's a bit out of date but you'll get the general idea.

10. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Might have missed it but is there no Austerity? Strange as they have probably done as much passenger mileage on the K&ESR as anything else and perhaps more appropriate than a GW Pannier? I am sure Col.Stephens would have been the first to buy army surplus so in my mind at least they do fit in with the Light Railway ethos. Also with the exception of the USA they sound better than anything else on the list!

11. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

No you didn't miss it, there will be no Austerity's "rostered" that weekend. They do the mainstay of the work so we like to give them a week off now & again.
    However, it doesn't mean that one will definatly not appear, because if any of the other loco's fail then an a bucket will be substituted.

Noisynoel

12. Seagull

Seagull Member

K&ESR DIESELS TO SHARE LIMELIGHT AT
    “THE LAST TRAIN’S GONE” GALA!

Kent & East Sussex Railway’s Gala on 2nd, 3rd and 4th May will feature the only loco-hauled trains scheduled to operate with diesel traction on the line this year. Class 33 D6570 “Ashford; Class 03 D2023 and 77 year-old BTH No 40 will join their steam counterparts in action as the 10½ mile line operates a series of special trains to recall the services that ran after the cessation of regular passenger trains in 1954.

Built for the Ford car plant at Dagenham in 1932, No 40 is thought to be the oldest working diesel-electric in the country. The loco was one of the early arrivals at the-then fledging preservation project in 1966 and worked revenue earning goods-trains over K&ESR metals when, in the late ’60s, it hauled wagons between Hodson’s Mill at Robertsbridge and the junction with the main line in the village.

The loco will reprise these workings with demonstration goods trains on Sunday 3rd and Monday 4th May and will also make a rare appearance on a passenger working on Sunday 3rd when it will be paired with three of the line’s historic four-wheeled carriages for the 09.30 “early bird” service from Tenterden to Bodiam and return.

Class 03 D2023 will evoke memories of similar Drewry 0-6-0 diesel locomotives that handled traffic in the line’s “goods only period” in the late 1950s. The loco will perform as station pilot at Tenterden Town on all three days of the gala and will also be at the head of a number of recreated goods trains. In addition, D2023 is earmarked to head the final passenger train of the day on Sunday 3rd – the 17.15 departure from Tenterden

Class 33 diesel, D6570 “Ashford” will head demonstration goods and engineering trains on Saturday to give a flavour of the mainline trains passing the K&ESR at its former mainline connections of Robertsbridge and Headcorn. D6570 will also work its only scheduled passenger trains of the year during the gala it will be at the head of the line’s rake of 1930s Southern Railway coaches for the 17.15 departure from Tenterden on Saturday 2nd May to recall the delivery of these vehicles to the line in 1965 when they were hauled by a Class 33. The “Crompton” will also feature on a passenger working at lunchtime on Sunday 3rd allowing visitors to ride the entire length of the line behind all three diesel locomotives on that day.

All three diesels will also be amongst the motive power used on Sunday 3rd May to work passenger shuttles between Tenterden and Rolvenden where the line’s locomotive shed and yard will be open with guided tours of the works and lifting demonstrations with the line’s giant 36-ton breakdown crane.

The loco roster at the gala, which will highlight the momentous changes the railway underwent during the 1950s and celebrate the saving of the line in the ’60s, features two visiting steam locomotives: 113 year-old O1 Class No 65 visiting from the Bluebell Railway and Terrier 662 “Martello” from Bressingham. These will join K&ESR resident Terriers No. 3 “Bodiam” and newly-overhauled 32678; P Class No. 753 and USA Class No 65 “Maunsell” – all of which ran on K&ESR metals in the ’50s and ’60s. The line-up is completed by pannier-tank No. 1638 (not Sunday) which remarkably rolled off the Swindon production line in 1951 – a little over two years before the K&ESR closed to passengers.

Passenger services will leave Tenterden Town for Bodiam and return every 45 minutes between 10.30am and 4.30pm on all three days with additional evening trips, including the popular “Fish & Chip Special” on Saturday and “early bird” trips originating at both Tenterden and Northiam on Sunday and Monday.

Further information and tickets are available from www.kesr.org.uk or by telephoning 01580 765155.

13. Seagull

Seagull Member

The " Last Train's Gone" Gala 2-3-4 May 2009

Many of you were kind enough to print off and display posters to advertise last year's K&ESR Gala, can I ask if you'd be kind enough to do the same again this year please?

PDF poster can be dowloaded from HERE

Thank You

14. David

David Member

water meter reader
    I've just looked at your advert and must say many thanks for using my shot of the double-headed O1 and P for the main photograph.

15. Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

David - thank you for letting use the pic - it's a cracker.

Many thanks to all the other photographers that have kindly supplied photos - it really is a great help.

16. Noisynoel

Noisynoel New Member

To make it easier to get to the gala this year a free bus service will be provided on Sunday & Monday leaving Headcorn station at hourly intervals between 09:43 and 15:43 and from Tenterden back to Headorn between 11:10 and 18:10. This will enable connections with the mainline service at Headcorn.

Noisy Noel

17. Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

ACTION PACKED THREE DAYS AS K&ESR STAGES “THE LAST TRAIN’S GONE” GALA!

The Kent & East Sussex Railway’s “The Last Train’s Gone” Gala on 2nd, 3rd and 4th May promises three days of action from almost dawn to dusk as the line conjures up the atmosphere of the 1950s and ’60s. Regular passenger trains in ceased in 1954 while goods traffic and occasional “specials” continued until 1961 and the gala will feature recreations of many of the workings from that era.

Seven steam, and three diesel, locomotives will be in action over the course of the event and proceedings commence at 9.30am on Saturday 2nd May with a cavalcade of the steam locos at Tenterden Town Station. Highlight for many will be 113 year-old O1 Class No 65 – once a regular performer on the line – returning to the K&ESR for the first time in 54 years.

A 45-minute interval passenger service with steam-hauled departures from Tenterden between 10.30am and 4.30pm will feature a variety of double-headed and top-and-tailed workings with many services swapping locomotives at Bodiam. In addition a number of demonstration goods and engineers’ trains will be in action.

Saturday afternoon, will see Class 33 D6570 paired with the line’s three restored Southern Railway coaches to work the 5.15pm service from Tenterden, recalling the 1965 working that saw a classmate deliver the coaches to the-then fledging preservation project.

The day finishes with O1 No. 65 hauling the “Fish & Chip Flyer”. This popular feature of previous K&ESR galas departs from Tenterden Town Station and with space limited to just 100 seats, advance booking is essential.

The Ashford-built veteran will also kick off Sunday’s action when it is paired with a single “Birdcage” coach to recreate a classic K&ESR scene from the 1950s. Seats on this “Early Bird” special, which originates at Northiam, are very limited and can be reserved free of charge by those purchasing two- or three- day rover tickets for the gala. The “Early Bird” from Tenterden is equally unusual as BTH No.40, thought to be the oldest working diesel-electric in the country, makes a rare appearance on a passenger working. The loco worked revenue earning goods-trains over K&ESR metals when, in the late ’60s, it hauled wagons between Hodson’s Mill at Robertsbridge and the junction with the main line in the village.

The intensive passenger timetable on Sunday is supplemented with shuttles between Tenterden Town and Rolvenden, where the locomotive shed and yard will be open. Goods trains will add to the atmosphere and a number will feature a “Brake Van Experience” – an opportunity to ride with the Guard and see these workings from an unusual perspective. With just a handful of spaces available, advance booking is essential.

Sunday’s passenger services will be rounded off by Class 03 D2023 working a round trip from Tenterden. Similar locomotives worked goods services on the line and occasional “hop pickers” specials in the late 1950s while the evening will feature a photo session at Rolvenden station with opportunities including the chance to see and photograph the disposal of locomotives at the end of the day’s services.

Two contrasting “Mixed” trains – a perennial feature of the line – will kick start activities on Monday 4th May. Visiting “Terrier” No 662 “Martello” will work a classic pre-war K&ESR mixed, commencing at Northiam and formed of four and six-wheeled coaches and a string of wagons. Classmate 32678 – fresh from an 18-month long overhaul will be at the head of the 1950s equivalent from Tenterden - birdcage and handful of trucks. This working will stop at certain stations to drop off and pick up wagons providing an unusual spectacle for passengers and a unique experience for those taking a brake van ride. Again limited spaces are available so advance booking is strongly recommended and is essential for brake van trips.

Additional “Brake Van Experiences” are available later in the day as demonstration goods trains will once again be threaded between the intensive passenger timetable. This will feature recreations of three iconic special workings that ran over the line in the 1950s and ’60s. “The South Eastern Limited” was an enthusiasts’ special that ran in June 1961 when the line closed to goods traffic. As in 1961, the train will be top-and-tailed by Terriers Nos. 3 and 662.

The 1958 “Rother Valley Limited” will be recalled with No. 32678, one of the locos that hauled the original train, working in tandem with No. 3. The final working on the day that passenger services were withdrawn in 1954 was dubbed “The Last Train” and carried a homemade headboard. That train was headed by 32678 and O1 No. 65 and the two locomotives will be reunited to recreate “The Last Train” as the gala nears it’s finale on the afternoon of Monday 4th May.

Rover Tickets are excellent value at £15 for one day, £27 for two and just £30 for three days. Further information and tickets are available from www.kesr.org.uk or by telephoning 01580 765155.

Away from the tracks there will be small displays of historic vehicles at Northiam and Tenterden Town Stations where there will also be a BBQ and Beer Tent.

For those travelling by public transport, a vintage bus service will run from SouthEastern’s station at Headcorn to Tenterden on Sunday 3rd and Monday 4th. Buses depart Headcorn hourly between 9.43am and 3.43pm returning from Tenterden between 11.10am and 6.10pm.

18. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

This galal offers a fairly unique opportunity. I have already got the t-shirt, despite not having "been there and done that" yet!

19. Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

129 YEAR-OLD LOCOMOTIVE TO STEAM AGAIN FOR “THE LAST TRAIN’S GONE” GALA!

The Kent & East Sussex Railway’s “The Last Train’s Gone” Gala on 2nd, 3rd and 4th May will feature the return to service of 1880-built locomotive No 32678 following a heavy overhaul. The 129 year-old engine was one of those that hauled the last train when British Railways closed the line to passengers in 1954 and that special train will be just one of those recreated at the gala .

The railway’s skilled signwriters are currently applying the final touches to the paintwork of locomotive after an overhaul that has lasted almost two years. No. 32678 will carry the same British Railways black livery, ornately lined in red and white, that the engine sported back in 1954.

Gala organiser James Palk said, “The locomotive is a remarkable survivor: 60 years ago this month she derailed near Wittersham and was sinking into the marsh. The local newspaper reported that the engine may have to be abandoned, but eventually a giant breakdown crane was brought in from Brighton to lift her back onto the track. A similar steam crane is amongst the collection here at the railway so we will be recreating that engineers’ train as part of the gala – although 32678 will stay firmly ON the rails!”

The gala will recall the services that ran after the cessation of passenger services as the line struggled for survival in the 1950s and ’60s with special trains for enthusiasts, the K&ESR’s last goods trains and some of the early efforts to preserve the line, all recreated during the three day festival.

At total of 10 locomotives will be in action for the event (at least 8 on each day) of which seven actually ran on the line in the 1950’s and ‘60s. The impressive line-up includes five locomotives that are aged over 100 and the event starts with a parade of 7 steam engines at Tenterden Town Station at 9.30am on Saturday 2nd May.

An intensive passenger train service will operate along the 10½ mile line from Tenterden Town to Bodiam every 45 minutes between 10.30am and 4.30pm on each day. In addition demonstration goods and engineers’ trains will be in action. On Sunday 3rd additional services will run between Tenterden and Rolvenden where visitors can take a guided tour of the locomotive workshops and see lifting demonstrations with the line’s giant steam crane.

Other highlights at the three-day extravaganza include the “Fish & Chip Flyer” on Saturday evening and the chance to ride in the brake van with the guard on the demonstration goods trains – advance booking is essential for both of these.

Tickets for the event are now on sale and are excellent value at £15 for one day (child £10), £27 for two and just £30 for three days. Fares include unlimited travel all day. Further information and tickets are available from http://www.kesr.org.uk or by telephoning 01580 765155.

20. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.
    This will be a spectacular gala!!!