If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jumping over pits.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by admin, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

It's hardly the rule break of the century. Maybe it is for you, but generally people seem to concentrate more on stopping at red signals.

2. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    Out of interest, would you have still come out with a similar dismissive response had the said individual lost his footing, slipped and ended up at the bottom of the pit with a broken back needing to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair?

Chris

3. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

And whose fault would that have been? The individual's in question, I believe. It's hardly in the same class as a SPAD, is it? In any case, why should you think you have the right to judge the actions of others without knowing all the details? This sort of trial by public condemnation is best left to the tabloids and the Salem witch trials.

4. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wow...talk about getting out of hand!

As a neurtal party (I live neaaar the MHR, but I have nothing to do with it) I can see the concerns of those involved in this debate as it does appear to be targetting the MHR for poor safety rules, and thus I can understand where the argument arose from! There does appear to be an element of victimisation and those that can't see that are either nieve, or for some other reason refuse to accept the targetting.

To post a picture of someone from a particular railway breaking the rules then posting a comment saying isn't this dangerous what do other railways do, is looking to start a fight, or atleast attack that particular railway...thats how I see it anyways.

I think that the boys from the MHR need to calm down a little, but Admin needs to accept that his post was contencious and that arguement and hurt feelings were inevitable!

5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    While jumping pits is clearly something that should not be allowed and should not be done, and posting pictures of people doing it on official websites also seems a rather bad idea, I actually would be rather more concerned about what was going on with the Class 33 if I held a position of responsibility on the railway concerned! What is the general position on moving traction units by hand on a running line, or is that not what is happening? (Especially as there seems to be something else on the same line in the platform). I don't know the gradient at this point or the direction of fall.

Am I correct that the loco had just suffered a traction motor fire or something similar, so was moving it at all a good idea?

All that said, I will admit I am drawing a number of potential conclusions from a single, still photograph and could be wrong on a number of assumptions based on what seems to be happening. I am sure that the Ropley lads will put me right on any mis-interpretations!

6. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

The last two posts have been the best on this thread.

7. kesrpaul

kesrpaul New Member

I must admit when I saw it on the website I thought it was a bit unfortunate, as it did not created the wrong illusion. Having said that, it's only an image and may not reflect the true facts of the situation.

I'd hope Glyn was not attempting to stir things, however can see that it could (has) come across that way. Not good practice, but sometimes individuals can get carried away in the heat of the moment - fact.

8. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    It had nothing at all to do with the railway in question.
    It had nothing to do with the person.

It was just the action that was being carried out.
    And a question that related to this asking what the issues we're with other railways.....

9. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Have you ever seen that advert where it shows bits of the same events happening from different angles and allows the viewer to draw conclusions...

10. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Some absolute drivel posted on this thread. A guy didn't walk around the pit to cross the tracks. Big deal. Let's get over it and get back to worrying about the real issues concerning heritage railways. The vitriol aimed at one individual breaking a pretty small rule is incredible. It's an issue for the Mid-Hants to deal with, not a bunch of frothing teenagers on an online forum.

I for one, will proudly declare that on the Talyllyn and Strathspey railways I have stepped over the pits many, many, many times and I will probably continue to do so.

11. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Got to say fellas, this is better entertainment than anything on TV.
    I defy any person on this forum to post and say he/she has never ever broken some rule. I used to bend/break rules with monotonous regularity when I was working. Rules are rules, yes, no denying it, and SHOULD be followed, but in everyday life those rules have got to be mixed with a large dose of common sense. Common sense :-k something that is in short supply on this forum.

If everybody every where followed the rules to the letter, the world would stop. And to pinch a couple of words from a posting of an ex moderator..............grow up ***************

12. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

Victor,

I have to say it, you've brought a smile to my face. :-D

Brian

13. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.

CRACK! And that's a broken nose and about 4 hours in A&E.

He does look like he is slipping though, be interesting to know if he made it across alive, I mean without injury.

14. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for all the techies to come out of the woodwork, and start debating at length as to whether or not the attempt to cross the pit would've been successful, given the angle of attack and theoretical approach speed.

15. baldric

baldric Member

This has discussion also made me laugh.

Each railway will have its rules that should be obeyed, these may be different on each line so no point in making assumptions. I would guess (making an assumption here) that all standard gauge railways do not allow jumping of pits, but does that mean stepping accross from one edge to another is OK? I would suggest it depends on the construction of the pit.

As to people saying moving a vehicle by hand is dangerous, just exactly what are pinch-bars for then? With many vehicles pinch bars are only part of the effort required, you also need people to shove (the heavier the better some may say) it all depends on the bearings, out of balance masses, wheel sizes, items in the way of bars etc.

Why should moving a vehicle by hand on or near a running line be different from any other moving vehicle? You should have permission to proceed on to that track and be able to stop the vehicle safely.

It does seem that there are some people who replied to this are either out to moan about others or have no practical knowledge.

Oh and for clarity these are my views in general, not about any specific railway or person.

16. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer

By eck Calan, you must be a bit of a short house.

It was several cracked ribs for me. Not funny in the hay-fever season I can tell you. #-o

17. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Hands up who can remember shunters running alongside moving, loaded, 4 wheel wagons pinning brake handles down and then sitting on their wooden bar and riding down the incline on the brake handle on the last wagon. British Railways it was. :-# Whoops what HAVE I said.

18. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.
    Well I'm 5ft 10" and a FF

Yeah, and I don't intend jumping across a pit. An extra two minutes wont be missed.

19. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Come on, we haven't touched on the livery of the 33 yet!

20. cromptonlover

cromptonlover New Member

Railway Manager

Yeah very true....

I also remember the high number of shunter fatalities and those with amputated limbs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.