If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jumping over pits.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by admin, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The first post is now a link..

Small Prairie are you suggesting I should recieve loads of abuse by mearly pointing out something that is on a public website???

Ralphchadkirk. I bought the rights to publish the Terms and Conditions so i could remove the link of the place where I bought it from.
    You copied it for your own use, without permission with no link.

Cris Willis, Nothing being stirred. Just mearly pointng out an image on a public website and also asking about what the rules are at the various
    different railways in the uk.

2. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Admin , were was the letter that gave you permission to use that photo then?

Steppers , you got a problem with me , PM me , but dont tell me to grow up on here .

3. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    I provided a link to the image.
    The software decided to interpret this and display the image.
    In no way was the images copied or downloaded for use on this forum.
    I have now forced the software to display the link.

4. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

For Mitchell and other people jumping up and down about everyone hating the Mid Hants. What actually is wrong with the text of Admin's first post, if you exclude the photo? All it is is a question about the rules on other railways...

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

5. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    OK, I am happy to trust Admin in that displaying the image was unintentional.

But was there any need to start a debate into the pitfalls of jumping over inspection pits... I personally believe that the question could be seen as being unduly provokative as it was clear that the thread would end with tears before bedtime.

6. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Just because other people have done it doesn't mean it is acceptable. The gentleman in question did get caught, and thoroughly deserved to be. There may not have been a board, in which case you walk round the pit, which would add, what, about 10 seconds to your journey?

7. Tracklayer

Employed
    Have you never steppered over a pit steppers?

8. stepney60

Can't say I have. Never even occurred to me, but then I'm not the most fleet footed person you'll ever come accross.

9. Tracklayer

Employed
    Spose not... I will admit to it - I must be fortunate in been able to part my legs wide enough to cross a 4 foot 6 gap...

10. Ollie.J.C

Ollie.J.C New Member

i think u r being totally unresonable and it was an emergance to get the 33 out of the way of points so it could be shunted out the away, and 2 get the other 33 out to rescue 73096!!!!

11. stepney60

And 30 seconds longer for one extra person to come over and help would have irreparably damaged this proceedure how?

12. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

Right,

Subject locked.

Small Prairie has been banned for two weeks - my choice. If you don't like it PM me - his PM to me was not one I wouldn't accept from anyone.

Regards
    Brian Hallett

13. bhallett

Ralph,

One final comment.

Colin knows my email address, as we have spoken before on other matters. Get him to contact me if there is a REAL problem, rather than one or two individual MHR members stirring it.

Regards
    Brian Hallett

14. bhallett

Right,

I've unlocked the topic. So please post responsibly, otherwise I will lock it again.

Brian Hallett

15. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

in normal circomstances yes you should walk round a pit ,or to the end and use the steps, but when placed in this possition, rules do tend to get bent, its human reaction, either to look to see what was going on, or to rush to help clear the points and i would have just treated it as such, the lad in question would have known it was wrong, and in 99 percent of the time probally would have obayed the rules of the yard, at every railway the first thing that you get taught is yard safety then you watch open mouthed as joe public break every last one of them

16. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

Hi-Viz is required in the yard now. Especially the pit road as that is "on or near" the line.

I fail to see how MHR members have been stirring it as we have all politley pointed out that the photo should not be there.

Admin - that excuse is totally unreasonable. PHPbb will not turn a link (surrounded by URL tags) into an image. Images are only shown when it is wrapped in IMG tags.
    I didn't mean to commit the murder - just wanted to hit him. You think that works?

17. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

If you had no intent to cause grevious bodily harm then its arguable, but I suspect that's a different subject...

Ultimately, I still fail to see how the issues around this thread arose. Admin asked a question in his first post about what the rules are on other railways; ultimately it could (potentially) have been that it wasn't against the rules at the MHR, but it was at some other railways. That's not really a reason for the jumping up and down and finger pointing that went on from some people.

I personally think Brian was correct in locking it last night as some posts were starting to get a bit personal and out of hand; a pat on the back for the Mods in the circumstances.

18. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

Has he been banned on the strength of his PM to you? PMs to me should not be used as a basis to ban people. They are private and technically have nothing to do with the forum and its readers. Smacks of abusing your position if I read your post correctly.

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

All,

Looks like we have lost focus... I have reposted the first thread in this topic.
    To me this looks perfectly legitimate, it looks like it has been amended.

So.. take a deep breathe, read the post and start again.

fyi.. what happened to step boards over pits ?

20. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Not at all polmadie, PM's are there for various reasons and speaking directly to a member is one of them. If people have issues then common sense says to PM someone with their concerns whether it is good or bad, mods have always promoted this. However they are not there to abuse/insult anyone and unfortunately Mitchell has paid the price.

The plain and simple fact is that you should never jump a pit no matter what the situation. I guess the individual involved has seen the evidence and is duely sorry for his actions. I'm sure the right people in the right places will take the correct procedures. I'm in no doubt that he was going to help out but unfortunately with it being the gala there were more "eyes" around than normal. Whether its mainline, preserved lines or miniture railways, safety procedures must be followed and with all due respect, the photo shouldnt have been posted on the MHR website in the first place so none of this wouldnt have even been started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.