If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jubilee 1937

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by shedbasher, Jan 13, 2011.

1. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    A friend of mine tells me a jubilee was recorded on a liecester to St pancras run doing it in 84 minutes .can anyone tell me what Jubilee this was

2. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    I couldn't find anything about a high speed steam run on this route, but heres some recent claims.
    http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/showthread.php?thread=4175
    1) June 2008; Leicester from St Pan on a HSt last week and we completed the run in a tad over 65 mins - an average of 90mph
    2) June 2008; I drove St Pancras to Leicester today in 1 hour 7 minutes in a Meridian. With a stop at Luton!
    3) Leicester to St.Pancras in 58 minutes 30 seconds on 30 October 1975....

3. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Shedbasher: It was 5622 "Nyasaland", 7-coach load of 235 tons. The net time was 84.5 minutes for the 99.1 miles. Loco acheived four 90 mph maxima, and one of 89 mph. Highest was 95 mph at Radlett.
    Probably the fastest ever recorded time with steam from Leicester to St Pancras.

4. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    excellent thanks saw this engine many times, where did you get the information? 95 at Radlett quite something

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not the fastest recorded Jubilee but, alas, none ever quite made the ton. Unless someone knows better.......

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    I seem to remember one achieved 97.5mph near Flitwick in the early 60's this was also a very fast run overall.
    Was said at the time to be the fastest run of a Jube and someone who new them well said that was the max in general terms for the class.
    I do wonder if Bahamas or the kylchap fitted one were potentially faster?

Dave

7. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I dont know the date of this timing, but a reliable recorder had 97.5 mph at milepost 48 on the MML with 45579 "Punjab". Somehow doubt is was as late as the early 60's, but there were still some engines in decent nick even then. Post war, were there not speed limits on the MML?

John F Clay in "Jubilees of the LMS" says that there were rumours of 100 mph with a Jubilee, but not recorded as such. Enginemen said they had seen the magic ton on the loco speedometer, but these were not particularly accurate, and could read on the high side.

8. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Thanks very interesting yes im sure the speedos were not that accurate as on modern cars and motorcycles.I was travelling behind a friend we were both on modern bikes mine a 900cc Triumph his a Kawasaki our speedos were not recording the same, at 70mph on the Triumph his Kawasaki was readimg 65.Thats on modern machines so these speedometers fitted on locos in those days could not have been spot on.Would have liked to know that a Jub did do a ton tho .Love em

9. sunstream

sunstream Member Friend

46118 was spot on with the info.
    There is a log of this run published in 'Stanier 4-6-0s at work' (Publisher Ian Allan), chapter 4.
    The source is quoted as Railway Magazine August 1938 and the run was said to have taken place in 'early 1938'.

10. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Thanks sunstream looks like a book for me to buy

andalfi1 likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    45579's epic run was on 29th May 1958 where 97½ mph was achieved at Houghton Conquest before the brakes went on for a 25 mph PW restriction. 45597 came a close second at the same spot with a 96 mph a year later. Other 96 mph Jubiliees were 45611, 45619 and 45654. These are the highest authenticated speeds.

12. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    These must have passed me as I was working in Bedford North at the time.The ones that came past the box really fast were on the "Thames Clyde Express" especially the down train it would appear round the curve from the shed under the bridge sometimes double headed with a compound. Magic indeed

13. sir gilbert claughton

sir gilbert claughton Well-Known Member

retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    there is a pic of Punjab "at 100 mph" in a TI ,I think 1960. it could have been 1958 I guess .
    I have a feeling the pic was reprinted in the TI annual of the same year . I tried to find it on the net , but no joy. it was a cracking pic - panned shot (obviously) con rods a blur and the exhaust coming straight back over the loco

14. sir gilbert claughton

sir gilbert claughton Well-Known Member

retired
    No I do not currently volunteer

most of the fleet was in good nick then . the dreaded sack over the chimney started to appear in early '61 , at Willesden at least . i'm not sure when inroads were made into the named classes , but it was later than 1961, which was when we moved away from London to the LTS ,the land of the 2-6-4 tank.
    I was pretty hacked off at the time ,but I did not see the last dismal years ,for which I am grateful

15. peckett

peckett Member

Undoubtedly 100mph was done by Jubilees between Luton and Bedford many times .I travelled this route regular, and can never remember seeing any one timing a train Most ,nearly all, went by unrecorded. The BR class 5 s (73 s)were the first loco's to be fitted with speedo 's on the Midland ,and of course it wasn't long before someone had one ,with the magical 100 on the clock. I know a couple of passed cleaners 17-18 year olds who saw 100mph on the speedo,whilst doing a firing turn ,with a 73 on this stretch.

16. peckett

peckett Member

Just come across a picture on the font page of November 1955 Trains Illustrated. It a panned shot of 45585 Hyderabad crossing the River Mersey at Heaton Mersey. Its working the 9 am Manchester Central to St Pancras on 14/08/1952.Its a excellent panned shot ,the engine looks in good form for the long and steep climb to Peak Forest,,slight dark smoke safety valves sizzling .Doubt if its doing 100mph ,not far from Manchester Central, also just about to hit the 1 in 75 or so around Disley tunnel. Going the other way ,I could quite well believe it.I've had some pretty lively runs down from Peak Forest myself.