If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

James Boyd

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynbarn, Feb 22, 2009.

1. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have just picked this up from the Festiniog e group

I have learned that James Boyd, historian of narrow gauge railways died
    peacefully in his sleep, at home, yesterday,

Regards

Colin Rainsbury
    (Lynbarn)

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sad to hear that. He has written the definitive history of so many narrow gauge lines.

John

3. 48DL

48DL Member

My condolences to his family, his writings and his photography inspired me so much.

Ian

4. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

I don't think he had any close family - his wife and daughters pre-deceased him.

Along with Lewis Cozens, he blazed a trail in writing narrow gauge railway histories that many of us have tried to follow.

Richard

5. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Add Charles Lee to that list, but Boyd's achievement was remarkable and unique. Although the years have picked a lot of holes in his research, there's absolutely no denying its importance and in particular its breadth - if you look across the eight volumes of his main North Wales series (without even considering the Irish or Isle of Man ones), having all the main railways and most of the minor ones covered in a largely uniform manner was a hugely significant foundation for all the research that's been done on them since. And then he went and outstripped them all with his superb Wild Swan book on the pre-preservation Talyllyn. His work represents a life and a talent put to good use.

6. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    A very sad loss, without doubt the finest narrow guage historian- i have several of his books and his wonderful video on the manx and irish lines and treasure them - i once met him at Port Erin a good few years ago and found him to be a wonderful man. I will treasure the note he sent to me a few years ago when i wrote to him following the publication of the 3 volume Isle of Man Railway history.