If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

it's preservation jim, but not as we know it....

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by ovbulleid, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    just read this article in the current issue of new scientist, the bulk of which is given up to discussing the moon and space exploration. the question in this is how will we end up preserving the original space vehicles that went to the moon. Which ones really deserve preserving, what would be the best way to exhibit them to the public, and what can we learn from how the original vehicles have weathered in space.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... useum.html

2. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    well there's been oodles of programes about the appollo missions lately as its 40 years since it all happened,
    the actual anniversary, I heard on BBC radio 4, is within the next two weeks, cant remember the exact date but the beeb is going to be doing more progs about it.
    I watched some on BBC 4 TV last week, There was a lot I had forgoten, not the famous 'one giant leap' one but the others, who could forget the small step for man, and my memory says that 'the sky at night' was on more often, its once a month now and the last one was just half an hour and that was about the apollo missions, and these days I watch it on my PC cos I dont find much of interest on the telly and spend most of my spare time browsing sites of interest such as National Preservation.

well about the point, seems a long way off there being passenger flights to the moon in my opinion, and its probably only being discussed because its the 40th anniversary.

mind you I'd love to go, just to see the earth receding in size and see how it looks with my own eyes.

and yea, I would want the scientists to go first to be able to do the assesment of the effects of time on those objects left lying around, there is still plenty we dont understand about the universe