If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Italian Main Line Steam

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Fenway, May 12, 2016.

1. Fenway

Fenway New Member

A few pictures of various Italian main line steam locomotives in action, this past April on the Railway Touring Company's annual "Steam in Tuscany" trip.

http://newrailwayreport.blogspot.com

Corbs, ribblebarn and Martin Perry like this.
  2. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    A v v good report and summary- much better than any I've read recently!! Thanks

2017 sees v exciting plans
    Perhaps steam in Bari Naples(!!)
    Palma.......Rome!!!!
    A possible papal connection
    As usual all may change but the spec submitted to the heroes in the photos mean a lot of new track for steam( in 40-50yrs?!?!)
    This year Luino from Milan....

Tuscany- did steam 3 times and led a tour for RTC! Runpasts cabrides etc and a v happy group

Thanks for the report
    Ray Mason​

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That is what would tempt me to do an overseas tour with RTC and longer trains as well. A 2-6-2 on two carriages doesn't appeal unless the gradients are exceptionally steep and the loco would need to work very hard on even a small load. I did a tour to Poland once - not RTC - and trundling along behind a Pt47, Ty42 or Ty45 on just two carriages was very much anticlimactic.

4. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I did Milano Centrale to Luino last week with 625.100, a small 2-6-0 built in 1913. Only loco, one coach and two vans, but a fair bit of noise at times. Thanks to @Fenway my girlfriend and I also did the return empty stock working back to Milan, sadly with an electric loco on the front. However, after leaving late the crew were up for it and there was plenty of noise from the 625!