If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Freshwater, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Middle_C

Middle_C New Member

Tom,
    I think you have answered your own question, its history, maybe not the best period, but
    nevertheless history. Some people like dirty engines, I personally do not like to see locos
    spotless, they were never operated like that, only maybe when ex works. Some main line
    locos go overboard with the cleaning, lets see locos how they used to be careworn.
    Roger.

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Tom is spot on right! Gricerial love of grot does not have any resonance at all with the vast majority of the paying public.

P.H.

3. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    my point on dirtying up 24 was to re create an what if scenero as if what would have been possible if a couple of ivatt Tanks have made it across the solent, and been in service along side the 02'S and as regards the paying public, well you could paint 24 blue put a large number 1 on the tank sides and they vast majority would not notice .

4. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

They'd soon know if it was covered in muck, whether it's blue, green, or yellow with pink spots.

Simon

paulhitch likes this.
  5. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Would someone be able to tell me which locos are in steam next week. I've got a week off work so thinking of making a visit. I went this time last year for the first time since I was a kid and had a great day.

6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Details can be found on the railway website with the proviso that it all depends on serviceability. No passenger vehicles newer than 1924 can be guaranteed!

Paul H

7. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Thanks Paul will go Wednesday or Thursday when its 2 trains.

8. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Definately go on a two train day, much better buzz about the place!

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I'd say don't miss Train Story, but think a bit about when you go - when we visited a month or so ago, I'd planned to look round at the end of the day and only slightly by chance noticed it closed fairly early (about 3pm I think). Fortunately, we could rejig the trains we planned to catch, so no problem, but worth checking when it is open and planning accordingly!

Tom

10. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Already visited Tarin Story last year when it was a one train service (with Calbourne) and there was a little layover at Havenstreet but will pay another visit to Train Story as its worth visiting. I do have some pictures on my old phone that I took.

11. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Any news on a possible launch/entry in to service for the Ivatt ??

12. dervard94

dervard94 New Member

Does anyone know if the Ivatt will be doing anything at any point next week? Taking my traction engine over for the Island Steam Show at Havenstreet and would be good to see it again; very conveniently happened to be talking to the boiler inspector in the yard as she made her first moves last year!

13. Islander

Islander Member

A bit of a delayed reply...

41298 won't be in steam this weekend, although it I understand that there is a possibility of it being on display outside the works.

For all four days of the Island Steam Show W24 will be on Duty 1 (the bogie set) with W8 on Duty 2 (the 4-wheelers). It's been very wet this week but, as a result of minimising vehicle movement in the show field, the arena is in good condition so it looks as though all show events will able to go ahead as planned. Our 55 Real Ales were delivered on time and will be ready for you to sample from Friday morning!

14. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

hi Islander,
    that is a very diplomatic reply re Ivatt 41298. anyone care to tell the full story?! dont ask me to, because i will land someone in it otherwise.
    cheers,
    julian

15. Islander

Islander Member

There is no hidden story ref 41298. The fitting of steam/air combined brakes has been protracted, there is still some more adjustment and trials needed before it can be signed off as fit for service. There are also a few other pieces of work to complete. Crew training also needs to take place before it can take a place on the roster.

An issue that has affected progress on 41298, and other projects in the past, is that as soon as the demand to provide locomotives for the operating season kicks in each summer our mech eng team are fully engaged with the running fleet. This leaves less time to deal with project work, no matter how desirable the completion may be! Currently, outside of the operating fleet (W8, W11, W24 and WD192 - each on a 14 day washout cycle and with two engines required on a significant number of days in the high season) the team are also working on major firebox repairs to WD198 as well as completion of 41298.

No formal date for an entry into traffic for 41298 has been announced. I would anticipate further trials (and crew training) in the coming months, followed by an in-service date in the 2016 season. I am sure that the formal entry into traffic date will be announced as soon as it is finalised.

16. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Many thanks for the up date..

17. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Post on the IOWSR facebook page states that the headshunt at Wootton has now been extended to accommodate the Ivatt ...

18. Islander

Islander Member

Nothing new. The loco release and loop entrance points were moved towards Havenstreet and the platform extended to accommodate maximum length trains a number of years ago.

19. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Is the signal box still being done this winter?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  20. Islander

Islander Member

I did hear that the project to move Wootton signal box from the lineside up onto the platform was due to go ahead soon, not sure of the exact details.