If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Wight Steam Railway - Ferry Problem

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by burmister, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I am not sure about a bridge or a tunnel for car or rail (or both). Whilst technically feasible I suspect that it could never be justified. BUT, that ferry is outrageous. Whether you go by foot or (as I had to in the summer in order to fetch a relative from hospital at very short notice) go by car the cost is eye watering. My 90 mins on the island back in August cost almost £100 just for the ferry crossing. Whilst I would be wary of spoiling the island with too many visitors, and there is no doubt in my mind that better infrastructure would add 30% to the cost of housing overnight, the ferry prices are a tax on the people of the island and those of us who live near to the island, and though I am not a "red" I would like to see them curbed. Nationalise Wightlink if that is what it takes. If we want a cohesive nation, we have to be fair to all its parts.

CH 19, johnofwessex, TommyD and 2 others like this.
  2. Bertie Lissie

Bertie Lissie New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Last time I visited the IOWSR I simply flew to Sandown in my 1936 aeroplane and then walked to the nearest station (Lake?). A ride on the electric to Smallbrook and thence to Havenstreet and Wootton. A mighty fine day out indeed.
    Paul Hitch, you are quite correct, the Vauxhall M and LM were produced in relatively small numbers (approx 8000) and 90% of those produced were exported to the Antipodes. I have owned a 1927 LM for the past 15 years. Cheerfully does 60 mph on the flat and is still a thoroughly practical means of transport.

To paraphrase; bug**r the ferry and buy an aeroplane!

Nick Gough, paulhitch, 30854 and 2 others like this.
  3. dlaiow

dlaiow New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not sure if he visits Havenstreet, but Lord Sugar often flies into Bembridge to lunch on the island , how the other half live!

4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Bembridge eh, most of us just have to dream of Shanklin....................

5. Peter Wilde

Peter Wilde New Member

Not an easy one. Some of the IoW economy is tourist-based and a significant number of visitors come because they like the special (and a little old-fashioned) feel of the island. Putting in either a reasonably priced fixed link, or a better and cheaper ferry service for cars, could damage that and put some visitors off. If the IOW ever gets to be functionally part of the mainland by means of a fixed link for cars, its proximity to London and the overcrowded South-east would produce huge influxes of people; this is not at all like Skye and its new(ish) bridge from a fairly remote part of the Scottish mainland. As for a rail-only tunnel, this is never likely to be a contender - the cost would be huge and there is no decent rail system to connect to.

The right balance needs to be struck. Maybe better to work with slight improvements to the existing infrastructure, improve public transport on the island, and thereby encourage more visitors to leave cars at home?

And I thought there were already concessionary ferry fares for island residents, with only the car-borne visitors being charged the highest prices?

paulhitch likes this.
  6. dlaiow

dlaiow New Member

A lot of the island economy depends on tourists and numbers are down significantly this year when the numbers visiting the big island went up greatly due to the £ exchange rate. Several island tourist attractions have closed due to falling numbers. I'll leave you to come up with a reason why so different figures between the two islands!

gwalkeriow likes this.
  7. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Might it be the cost of getting to and if your staying the very high cost of accommodation Many of those visiting " the big isle" probally found they could visit other parts of the UK cheaper once you have taken into consideration the cost of getting to the island and other costs compared to other parts of he UK, plus how many visitors to these shores will have heard about the isle of wight?

8. dlaiow

dlaiow New Member

Yep! Costing me nearly £200 for our two daughters to visit us for a few days over Christmas.

9. martin1656

Unfortunately it will need the Isle of wight council to set up some residents discounted travel scheme for Islanders to be able to afford to travel and the problem is that i dare say, it will be politically unacceptable for some councilors to favour Islanders by having to pay providers for any discount travel scheme.

10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

From what I gather, the IOW County Council is completely borassic and hardly likely to be able to afford this sort of thing even if it is in their statutory power to do it.

PH

11. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Private Eye coverage had suggested jurassic, but I've not met borassic?

andrewshimmin likes this.
  12. martin1656

I know the island is stuck in the past but Jurassic does that mean theres Dinosaurs still living on the island ?

13. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I wouldn't know - last time I was there was to see Calborne on New Year's Eve 1991.

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Borassic lint= skint = absolutely no money. Classic rhyming slang and I'm not even a Londoner!

PH

Greenway likes this.
  15. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Well, I was born there but never mind!

16. martin1656

Stop nicking our riming slang, :)

35B likes this.
  17. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    There were some excellent ones there when I visited several years ago at a place called Blackgang Chine, it was awesome. The Triassic Club was one of the attractions. Trouble is, Mother Nature keeps eroding the cliffs away!

18. dlaiow

dlaiow New Member

IoW council employees get discounted travel but those that pay their wages get B - all!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
  19. martin1656

Well you know the answer declare independence from the UK, Set up yourselves as a tax haven, Nationalize all transport in the Island of Wight,including the steam railway, island lineetc, bring all trackbed back into public ownership set up custom posts to keep undesirables out .

20. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Has anyone else read the novel England, England by Julian Barnes? The Isle Of Wight declares independence and becomes a tourist theme park.

dlaiow, gwalkeriow and paulhitch like this.