If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Isle of Man Peel to St Johns

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynbarn, Jun 30, 2017.

1. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi guys I know some of you love to have a conspiracy theory on the go, so time to start a new one.

I have just seen over on face book mention about a park and ride Peel to St John shuttle service. Now as far as I know there is no money for such a scheme and to be honest why stop between these two points why not take it all the way back to Ramsey.

So as I don't have a clue if this is true or is it just someones flight of fancy?

Colin

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

To answer the second point first this proposal absolutely reeks of W.I.B.N.

First point now. You would not take it to Ramsey because it would cost so much more. There is the little matter of a couple of viaducts for a start! The I.O.M. Government seems to have quite enough to cope with its present mileage of 3 ft. gauge as it is.

PH

3. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Did you mean Ramsey or Douglas? I could see the sense in a Park and Ride that serves both towns. Not sure how much trackbed is available at the Douglas end. IWBN though.

4. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Has use of rail been stated or is it just the use of the trackbed?

5. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Colin, are you able to tell us where you read this as I am unaware of any such proposals. As you suspect it is likely to be someone's flight of fancy and every so often one of these WIBN's pops up on one of the Manx forums. If, and only if, the finance was available my money would be on a commuter type operation from a Park'n ride at St.Johns to Douglas. The Ramsey line is a non-starter as the cost would be prohibitive for the reasons outlined above. There would be little point in going west of St.Johns as most of the new housing development (and hence any potential commuter traffic) is to the east of Peel and St.Johns is more easily accessed than the old Peel station area which is now built over. One major stumbling block would be the various utility pipes etc which have been laid under the trackbed since the track was lifted in 1974/5 and would require diverting before any track could be laid. Personally, I don't see it happening in my lifetime (much as I'd like to) as, apart from the cost, all attempts so far to get the local commuters out of their cars on a regular basis have failed.

Brian, the trackbed is already a walking trail/bike path/bridleway all the way from Peel to St.Johns (and Douglas apart from the last 1/2 mile or so).
    Mike Buttell (see Isle of Man Railway Walks on FB) does various guided walks over the closed lines - the next being during the Heritage transport Festival from 26th to 30th July.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    paulhitch likes this.