If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Is there such a thing as too many heritage railways?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by zumonezumwhereinzummerzet, Nov 21, 2016.

?

Do you believe that the heritage railway movement can support more new projects in the long-term?

1. Yes - the number of projects is dictated by demand from the local communities

13.6%
  2. No - additional projects are not sustainable due to a deteriorating volunteer base

19.4%
  3. Possibly - it all depends on the circumstances of each project!

61.2%
  4. No - the heritage sector is overly reliant on lottery hand-outs which may not always be available

9.7%
  5. Yes - the Borders railway has demonstrated that some routes can be revived as 'real' commuter lines

6.8%
  6. No - there is a limited pool of suitable locos and stock which will become uneconomic to maintain

9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Maybe that's the real reason PH likes non-corridor coaches; so that passengers dressed up in modern clothes don't spoil the illusion... :)

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    It used to be said of the island, board the ferry and set your watch back 30 years, and im my early 20's it was exactly like that, get on a modern 4cig at Woking, get off at Portsmouth harbour board a proper boat , arrive at ryde get on a prewar tube train, to esplanade , then an 1950's Bristol single decker to Havenstreet . it was as if you whist crossing the solent had gone back in time

paulhitch likes this.
  3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Ho, Ho (he says, hopefully not sarcastically). Part of my reason for liking non-corridor stock is that its use makes "heritage railway" rather less of an empty phrase than I believe it often is. Personally I would rather use the expression "tourist railway" as being more honest in most cases.

Paul H

4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    If you are travelling thoroughly a mostly pastoral/wooded landscape rather than arable area then there isn't always a lot to say that that its 2017 not 19**

5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Just to say that much of the route between Ashey and Wootton passes through land which is either an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (A.ON.B.} or a Site of Special Scientific Interest (S.S.S.I.). Thus there is statutory protection in place. Indeed the railway actually owns a small area of S.S.S.I. coppice at Havenstreet which is being actively maintained as such partly for the edification of visitors.Thus a length of hedge has recently been layered in the traditional way.

Paul H.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
    Forestpines likes this.
  6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Excellent! Well done IOWSR