If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Iraq 8F Repatriation

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Thompson1706, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Good bit of Sun journalism there as you have removed the quote entirely from its original context and insinuated at something completely different. are you related to the Wilcock oik?

2. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor

nope - you lost me there completely bruv

3. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    In one thread the Bluebell are slated because they refuse to repaint their engines for the photo-mafia and in another thread anyone who has ever mentioned paint (therein referred to as the 'p' word) is slated and told their opinion is not required unless they have donated large amounts of money or at least retubed the boiler single handed.

Bit difficult to know where the safe ground is...

4. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    So sorry if I have upset you but my post was intended to be a humorous dig at the people who seem to think that everything
    should be exactly as it was. Personally speaking I couldn't care less as long as the engine in question runs as it was originally intended from an engineering point of view.

5. OldChap

OldChap Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Agreed, I remember listening to a couple of so called enthusiast complaining bitterly about 34105 when she was first out shopped at Ropley.

The wholly negative tones were basically that she had a cut down 6000 gallon ex Merchant Navy tender at that time (no light unrebuilt pacific was every fitted with one in the big railway service), which was fair and valid to some extent from the historical POV, however the fury and bile that they had because the locomotive was not shopped out in full Southern malachite green livery was shocking, they ranted about it and even when it was pointed out that the machine was authentically painted as she was built by British Railways, but their answer was always negative, “ It a SR design, the Bluebell can do 34023 in full SR, why can the MHR’ etc

Frankly I was amused by the stupidity of it, however after listening to 15-20 minutes of the pair of them they were asked politely why were they still taking photographs of the locomotive they found so offensive… needless to say they had no reasonable answer.

Anyway back to the repatriation of Iraqi/Turkish 8F’s, if any were returned it would be nice to see one in LMR blue like WD 501… to see what I mean - http://gallery62603.fotopic.net/p55428927.html

6. Silverlink60014

Silverlink60014 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are so many fakes out there such as Barclays that from a distance with both eyes closed may look like another barclay that carried Gas Works Railway on it should carry it and the same goes for ever more austerities being painted as fake J94's. By painting a loco in a fake livery it is trying to make something into something its not, why not be satisfied with what we have and do it properly.

Some people on here seem to like having a dig about people who want things to look correct but unless an engine is returned to a livery that is appropriate for its mechanical condition then it should not be classed as a restoration as it is not being restored to any part of its past.

Before anyone says that you can't comment unless your involved well one restoration that i am involved in is going as far as having the correct handrail knobs made so it can look as newly built.

As a member of ARISE i support all authentic restorations because in my eyes why paint an austerity as a J94 when there are far more attractive liveries. A choice of 49 on the Tanfield Railway or a fake dull black J94 isn't difficult.

Many people have more respect for people who restore a loco accurately like the owner of 49 has and many others do.

7. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Good bit of Sun journalism there as you have removed the quote entirely from its original context and insinuated at something completely different. are you related to the Wilcock oik?[/quote:2uv0l44m]

That was the only part relevant to this discussion, or is 'numpties' a term of endearment? You had a point to make, why did you need to include the insult? It added nothing to what you were trying to put across. And NO-ONE had said anything about liveries in that thread until you posted that. Why did you need to do it?

8. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    "humorous"
    Hey, we`ll have less of that talk on here :lol:

9. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    I'm off to the Quaker meeting. all this fun is splitting my ribs....

What a numpty...

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

No one has slated the bluebell but merely pointed out that there are those who are willing to put their money where there mouths are to see some of the collection in BR livery . it's also a way of refreshing an engine that has perhaps seen interest in it lapse . As a poll how many here would go to see 1638 in SR green ? . how many in Br black ?

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I'd happily choose both. In it's current livery it looks a treat at the head of the Bluebell's three SR Maunsell carriages, a lovely 1920s/1930s recreation. On the other hand it would look equally nice in BR black on a short rake of blood and custard or even green Mk.1s. Variety as ever is the spice of life.
    Getting back on thread, restoring the 8F into whatever livery it carried in Iraqi service would be excellent and represent yet another chapter in the life of these amazing machines.

12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The owner of this rather stunning piece of machinery apparently had a standard answer to anyone who complained about its non-authentic livery:
    "So what colour is yours painted?" :-#

13. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Ah yes, the late Spencer Flack, and a legendary set of warbirds.

Regards,

Dan

14. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Absolutely! Why is it always seen as an 'either or' option? There is no reason why a loco cannot run with livery A for half it's ticket and livery B for the other half. You could add livery C, D E and F if appropriate! This will maximise the loco's appeal to the enthusiast community and as has been shown, well organised charters can pay for the repaint, meaning a refreshed livery (and interest) for the loco at no cost to the railway/owning group. I find it sad that so many railways/owning groups do not take advantage of this opportunity, stubbornly stick with one livery and then find it surprising when a section of the enthusiast community do not want to contribute to the overhaul fund!

Keith

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Going off topic, didn't he have a Hunter and a Sea Fury too?

16. Martin Perry

He did, both in similar liveries.

17. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Yes, the railway fraternity is not alone in this discussion; I'm also involved in classic cars where similar debates go on, although it usually goes beyond the paint scheme!

Mr Flack's standard reply was undoubtedly clever, but possibly a little self indulgent. To most people, a more realistic question, and just as valid in a railway environment, might be, "If you were as rich as me and could afford your own Spitfire, what colour would you paint it?"

18. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    yes it certainly does go on in Classic Car circles....I get a bit of it....i own a very low mileage Mk3 Cortina lowered with modern alloys, twin pipes,a capri V6 under the hood and viper stripes. It raises the eyebrows in certian quarters but turns the heads in most others...and its mine and I'll do as I please with it. Same with locos, he who puts his hand in his pocket has the right to do as he pleases...(would be nice to see alittle less BR black though sometimes...)

19. Martin Perry

You may well have a point about the self-indulgent bit, but the modified retort does not have the same killer quality about it and would invite the kind of debate he was probably keen to avoid!

20. m0rris

m0rris New Member

Not wishing to create further disruption but.... an 8f is an 8f even if it painted in barbie pink with girl power down the side! Is this loco going to be repatriated and does anyone have direct knowledge (i.e. from a group repatriating this one/an iraqi official?) whether this will happen, anyways, this loco has a far more interesting history than the BR Black it has been threatened with, talk about painting over history!
    m0rris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.