If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Industrial Loco Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by AlistairS, Apr 17, 2008.

1. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Both locos are currently at Chasewater. Glenfield is moving to RSR on a 5 year loan as a Static Museum exhibit as we do not have a Crane Tank. British Gypsum has been purchased privately & is to be restored to working order in due course.

2. 3855

3855 Member

keep guessing then!

3. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Newly arrived Ackton Hall sites behind Avonside 1563 at Caverswall Road station, Foxfield Railway.

1563 & Ackton Hall.jpg

26D_M likes this.
  4. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No.1925 0-4-0st 'Caliban' arrived @ RSR from Carnforth in bits on Tuesday (this is what he was getting muddled with Glenfield)!
    British Gypsum hopefully arrived yesterday.

26D_M likes this.
  5. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Some photo's can be found at

http://www.furnessrailwaytrust.org.uk/aboutblog.htm

6. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
  7. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

I remember as a kid riding behind Lindsay at Cornforth an 0-6-0 saddle tank built in the later years of 19th century, I think by a firm in Wigan. What happened to her? She was a very handsome locomotive. Thanks

8. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    "Lindsay", built by The Wigan, Coal and Iron Co. in 1887. I do believe that this loco is still at Carnforth, I don't know who owns it. One thing, I do hope that it's condition hasn't deteriorated to the Level as "British Gypsum".

Cheers,

Alan

banburysaint likes this.
  9. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

Many thanks Alan. Lets hope she is tucked up under cover

10. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Bagnall 2746 The Duke.

A good working party and the sort of day which reminds me why I do this. We had up to 9 people working on the engine at various times including a new recruit. The main activity of the day was to apply heat to the front and back tubeplates and wind out the centre top longitudinal stay, which after initial persuasion with a flogging spanner came out fairly smoothly. All the remaining studs on the backhead also came out, including the regulator studs which are particularly difficult to get at but which seem to have benefited from the heat applied just below them.

All the firebox tubeplate lap rivets are now out. All the foundation ring rivets have their heads cut off inside the firebox. Palm stays previously freed off. When the last few front stays have been drilled out it should be possible to remove the tubeplate and enter the barrel.

Various other bits being cleaned and painted, new plate cut and drilled for repairs to the bunker floor.

Tim

11. 4468BenV

4468BenV New Member

As far as I am aware Lindsey is under cover at Carnforth though I know nothing of ownership or what might happen to it in the future. It is a shame really as it has missed its 125th birthday so maybe there is hope that it might steam again for its 150th? Who knows?

British Gypsum's paint job has lasted a very long time although it did spend a large amount under cover and it is really only the last decade where she has spent time outdoors in all weather. It did arrive safely on the Thursday and it is now appreciably a lot closer for working on.
    I would dearly love to find out more about her short working life and whether there are anymore photos of her when she worked. There is a black and white picture of her taken in June 1965 and she is also in the Andrew Barclay 150 book too.
    British Gypsum company have been brilliant as they have supplied me with what they have in their archives. This has been a copy of a newspaper cutting about the gentleman she was named after. Then they sent two pictures taken on the day of the naming ceremony in 1965. For those who don't know she was called Ken Boazman after a manager. Built in 1953 she spent most of working life without a name followed by two thirds of her life as a static loco.
    Currently waiting for my new shift pattern to start at work at the start of September then I can get cracking. I do have some small parts that I can get cracking on with cleaning and priming.

The subject of livery has already been asked! I do like the red I must admit.

12. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Thanks for the update Ben(?), glad to know that Lindsay is at least undercover, a shame for it to be tucked away for so long tho'.

Best of luck with the restoration of "British Gypsum" or will it be Ken Boazman? Glad to see that you have been researching the loco's history, although that may be difficult now with all of the time that has passed, but things do come to the surface sometimes so you may get some pleasant surprises eventually. The lads at Tanfield may be a source of info/photos as they had one of the Barclay diesels from Howes works after it closed.

As for livery, you are on the right forum for a, er, livery discussion - or bun-fight!! But, of course, it's your prerogative, however, red does really catch the eye. Keep us up to speed with how you get on, your progress will make interesting reading for the rest of us.

Cheers,

Alan

4468BenV likes this.
  13. 4468BenV

4468BenV New Member

When it comes to name it will carry the name Ken Boazman. However it will not be on the water tank sides if I am to go for the red livery with British Gypsum on the side.
    However I am far from that stage with plenty to do before that so it could change.... I just happen to like it's preservation livery.
    It seems ironic that there are a few pictures of John Howe, J N Darbyshire and other gypsum locomotives that worked around the Penrith, Cumwhinton area and yet the gypsum site at Kirkby Thore, which is still going and has the training school, seems to have been the poor relation in terms of photographs. You never know, something might turn up.
    The lady at the gypsum works who is the senior administrator has been a huge help in finding things out in their archives.
    Time for the hard work to begin.

GWR4707 and sweetktg like this.
  14. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Good luck with BG No4. I was lucky enough to see it in steam at Steamtown once, probably mid-80s. I would have been about 10-12 and I have a photo of it somewhere taken on my trusty 110 camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4468BenV likes this.
  15. 4468BenV

4468BenV New Member

Would love to see any pictures that you have or anyone else has for that matter. I remember it from my visits to Steamtown too but not as much as many of the main line locos though!

16. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Ben, I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a detailed history of the Cocklakes Gypsum Works in "Industrial Railway Record" No. 137, published by the Industrial Railway Society in 1994. No mention of BG 4, but a good account of the locos there, plus some good photos, well worth it to find a copy.

Cheers,

Alan

17. 4468BenV

4468BenV New Member

Thank you Alan. I will look out for a copy of that.

18. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Ben,

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers

Alan

19. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

The ex Andrew Barclay works shunter AB 1219 1910 on the WSR had a fire lit in the firebox for the first time on Sat for at least 40 years.

pmh_74, 4468BenV and Avonside1563 like this.
  20. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Bagnall 2746 The Duke.

Well, we did drill the last few stays out of the firebox tubeplate- and it did come out, with forceful persuasion from a sledgehammer and a chain block braced across the firehole. We would not have done it without the advice from Dave Wright who visited today to view out progress and advise on our preparation work, which he approved. This frees off a whole raft of additional preparation work, cleaning out the inside of the boiler barrel for example. Other work done includes re-fitting the eccentric straps, cleaning the cab sides down to bare metal and painting, further painting inside the frames.

Tim