If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hunslet engine company

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by rough-shunter, Feb 16, 2009.

Does any one know what became of the hunslet engine company archives particully the drawings of locomotives from the other leeds builders. im looking for drawings for three types of hudswell clarke tank locomotives

1. DazCowd

DazCowd New Member

Some material was lodged with Armley Mills Museum but I've recently heard that it may be back with Hunslet themselves, can anyone confirm this?

2. Selsig

Selsig Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    At the March Statfold Open day, the Hunslet archives were boxed up and in store in one of the buildings there, as I understand it, on loan from Armley Mills for sorting, catalogueing and transfer onto digital media before being returned up north.

I would seriously doubt the task has been finished yet, and in all probability its not going to be worthtrying to find anything until it has been.

John

3. Oh Bugger thats a arse!

4. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Perhaps a more polite response might get you somewhere Jud, I do know that people are working on cataloguing the archives they have but if you approach them like that you will get very short thrift!

5. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Indeed...

Try Henry Noon at henry@statfold-oils.co.uk ..... but be polite if you want his help.

6. nhthompson

nhthompson New Member

Engineer
  7. The derogatory reply was meant in way of disapointment .onmonday I called hunslet and they put me onto armley museum in Leeds

8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    In that case you'll discover what a 'Black Hole' is! I've been waiting 5 years for some Hudswell drawings (of a Long Tank) that were offered to me by the curator, never mind me requesting.... Actually, I thought that the Hunslet & Hudswell drawings had now gone to Statfold.

9. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    I know that they have the Avonside drawings and are well through cataloguing those. Can't speak for the others but will see what I can find out from my contacts there.

10. CALIFORNIA WORKS

CALIFORNIA WORKS New Member

I understood that Armley was in dispute with the new Hunslet over title to the drawings. :-k