If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hudswell Clark 0-6-0T PLA Type

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by Luke Bridges, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

Hi All,

Me and my father are looking to build a 5 inch gauge version of this

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5645327311/

To get started we are looking for two things -

1. More photos
    2. Works drawings

The 53A photos are great but don't show a lot of detail or shots from the rear.
    Works drawings would be the best source of reference material, we have contacted NRM, who don't have them.
    We don't know where else to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and will try to keep this thread updated with build photos.

Any help is brilliant !!

Thanks in advance.

2. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    I have recently acquired some prints which were taken from the original drawings of some Hudswell Clarke locos. Unfotunately I cannot acces your photo for some reason so cannot match them up. I doubt if you would get drawings as apposed to prints. Have you tried NRM?

3. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

Yes, i have tried NRM, and they said to contact Statfold Barn, which we have done, received a reply about which works numbers, to which we sent 3 in reply. And have since heard nothing back (over 1 year ago)

This the same photo as above (second attempt)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5186/5645327311_a9cb377aca_o.jpg

This is not my photo, its one from the 53A collection

4. osprey

I've had a quick look and there is one very like yours viz 0-6-0 arrangement and the lipped coal bunker. However it is a saddle tank. As you can imagine the drawing is AO size and quite detailed. I am sure there were more..............I'm drowning in railway prints at the moment (some @200 years old) and some are a lot bigger than AO. Another thought is THe Middleton Railwat Trust.........is it worth trying them?

5. osprey

I'll have to correct my previous message............it's an inside cylinder loco........the prints are not very clear and have deteriorated through age.

6. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

I will give them a try, if no luck, sound like you may have in amongst them all, what were looking for !!

7. osprey

Another thought is Leeds Industrial Museum............and I've just looked at Ixionmodels. He does an 0 gauge model of the print I have...........is it worth giving him a ding to find out where he got the details. As regards my prints you'll have to bear with me.............they drive you nuts as they have been rolled up for years............and spring back when you unroll them. At a guess I have about 4-500 to look through...........all bought for £40.00 at an auction............amazing what you can pick if you keep your eyes skinned. For you tram way buffs I've noticed some tramway maps @100 years old.............

8. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  9. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  10. osprey

I would think the Hunslet Engine Co will have all the original drawings now......if they exist. Whether they would run you off a print however could be a problem.

11. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

ilvaporista : My dad works for the PLA so we tried them first. but typically, no luck their either, on the topic of reeves, either saltey or nechells have the correct cylinder and valve gear, needs adapting for length but otherwise spot on

osprey : Hunslet and Statfold Barn are all strings on the same bow, so i fear, i shall have no luck there either

12. osprey

I'll keep plodding through my prints to see if I can help............it's hard going.......

13. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

osprey : Thanks for looking, I know you've got a lot, and it must take a lot of time, so thanks again

Got a reply from Middleton Railway Trust, and no luck, their MSC is too different, and they dont have most of its drawings anyway.
    Armley mills, are getting back to me, will contact Embsay and Bolton next ....

14. osprey

It might be a tape measure @ Embsay in the end............

15. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

Armley Mills have replied and they do have some of the narrow gauge hudswell clarke drawings but no standard gauge drawings ...

The search continues ...

16. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The loco at Embsay is a later design for the coal board, I think the basic arrangement is the same but the tanks, cab and bunker were a modified design and much squarer than the PLA locos. There is also one at Wirksworth which they are currently looking at with a view to restoration, so they might be able to help also.

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Didnt a PLA loco work at the MSC or vice versa ? At some point during the war ?
    the book on MSC railways includes some drawings of the various locos, how different, apart from outside cylinders are the HC's of MSC vs PLA ?.. I would reccomend scanning the book on msc railways, when I find it (family sleeping) , I'll put up the books name reference.

18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Apart from being built by Hudswell, Clarke and being six-coupled., the PLA & MSC locos had nothing much in common.

19. osprey

I'm afraid I've drawn a complete blank with a print for your loco........and apologies for taking so long. Hope you are successful with your search.

20. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

Thanks for looking, really appreciate the help, but it seems, i've drawn a blank, other than the black whole of the Hunslet Engine Company which swallows e-mails and never spits out a reply. Will have to work from the 53A photos and use existing castings etc. Thanks again :)