If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Homes needed for 4cig and 4vop

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by SR.Keoghoe, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If the alternative line to Plymouth via Okehampton is ever realized I believe it would be some years away, which of course might be too late for any tourist operation.

2. richards

richards Part of the furniture

So you want someone to buy (at scrap value), maintain and store at least 15 HAAs.
    Can you think of a heritage railway which has spare siding space for all these vehicles, which will have little or no revenue potential, but will require ongoing maintenance to stop them rotting?
    How would visitors get to see this complete rake of wagons, understand how they were used and why they were important?
    What about the other wagon types which other people think are equally important? You've already mentioned CDAs. What else?

You say that the lack of a huge rake of HAAs is not a good reflection on "the movement". I think "the movement" has in fact made a very good decision *not* to preserve huge rakes of vehicles. Instead, they have preserved examples of key developments in loco/carriage/wagon design (based on that is available and affordable), knowing that they have to interpret these for most visitors. A "OO" gauge model of a full rake of HAAs (with appropriate haulage), alongside a single example of the real thing would make far more sense to "Joe Public" than a rusting rake of wagons stuck in a siding which they would struggle to actually see.

michaelh, Wenlock, ghost and 3 others like this.
  3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

While I largely agree with you, I think you miss something in this, which is the impact that a full rake of wagons can have, as anyone who's seen the windcutters working will attest. I have vivid memories of waiting at Banbury and a full MGR rake come batting through behind a class 58, something that I felt rather than heard or saw.

The question to be asked is how this can be brought out, and the majesty of heavy freight shown in a way that can then be used to illustrate the historical points you rightly highlight.

4. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

I have just found out that a group have come forward to buy only the cabs off of the scrapped unit not the whole thing. I have found the group online. https://www.facebook.com/groups/537477396295971/ They seem to have a lot of space and cabs in South Wales

5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

Pointless and bizarre. Would you preserve The Boy David's head only and leave the rest be used for hardcore?

6. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I like Southern EMUs, but wouldn't go so far as to compare them with Michaelangelo's works of genius.

7. Reading General

no well, I couldn't think of a more famous statue other than Venus de Milo, which analogy would fall down on the arms question.....

DismalChips and 35B like this.
  8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There are quite a number of aircraft cockpits preserved where, for whatever reason, preservation of the whole aeroplane wasn't possible. So I guess this is just the logical extension to railway preservation. If the option is preserve the cab, or scrap the whole lot, which is worse?

Tom

goldfish likes this.
  9. Reading General

oh without a doubt to me , it's worse to mutilate an old friend than to lay it to rest properly

nine elms fan likes this.
  10. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Turn it around then: is there no point in preserving that part of the Venus de Milo that survives as it hasn't got any arms anyway...

11. Reading General

no you missed the point there. It would be worth preserving the Vde M if discovered today in the hope that later you could obtain the arms.The point being that you wouldn't discover an intact VdeM and chop off the arms and keep the rest, unless you were Phillistine of course.

12. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    IIRC there was 39 saved for the GCR, and at present only 18 are now operable. See use at 2/3 galas a year plus 3/4 charters, so say just under 2x weeks use a year?

13. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

14. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

Apparently it has cost 26,000 to scrap just one of the DTCs due to asbestos contamination, that sounds an awful lot of money considering it is spent on getting rid of something. On a lighter note something special is going to happen with the remaining VOP unit that no one will expect. https://www.facebook.com/SlamDoorTrains/posts/696799767162241

15. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I am guessing that there must have been some very persuasive factors that led to retaining the VOP whilst disposing the CIG. The main reasons I say that is

a) The VOP is far more heavily modified than the CIG so represents a greater challenge to preserve in any era other than 1990's/2000's.

b) The VOP has the suburban door configuration making maintenance and corrosion higher than a CIG, and also less heritage (or indeed mainline) railway friendly.

c) VEP 3417, generally regarded as one of the more securely preserved southern electrics, is very similar, eroding the USP of retaining the VOP, although I accept this is a weaker point as there are other CIGs preserved too, namely 1497 at Dereham which appears secure as a full set.

None of the above is a criticism of the choices of the owning group, I'm sure it was a very long and involved decision making process that led to the VOP being selected from the two. I wish the project involving the remaining vehicles well, having got fond memories of these units on their home turf.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

16. Please can anyone help me to locate the rest of the 4VEP and class 312 that I have headcode panels from? And the rest of 71009, which I have a roller blind from? Else I fear they are not worth preserving :)

Come to think of it, what is the point of the entire multi-£silly railwayana business? ;)

17. Pete87

Pete87 New Member

Train Driver
    And that's how rumors start. Half right.

One DTC has cost £26,000 in total including storage, maintenance and final decontamination. That's £26,000 to do nothing by the way, you can see now why it makes sense to dispose of the most financially demanding vehicles and those in the worst condition...

Maximus and Adam-Box like this.
  18. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

Seeing on the Facebook page that 3905 will be moving to a new home later this week, however the location hasn't been announced but it sounds like a good location and will hopefully mean the set can be restored to locomotive hauled use.

19. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

It is going to the East Kent Railway.

https://www.facebook.com/SlamDoorTrains/posts/696799767162241

Maximus likes this.