If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

High Pressure Boiler Fittings

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by Eightpot, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anyone know anything about a company known as 'B & N' who could supply Boiler Check (Clack) Valves in the 1950s capable of working at 335 psi?

2. RobHickerton

RobHickerton New Member

Engieering Consultant
    I have a copy of a book called Valves for the Control of Fluids published 1965 which lists all members of the British Valve Manufacturers Association, and there is no B&N listed. There is a company called Butler and Son (B&S Valves) Ltd of Dukinfield Cheshire who made check valves but in copper alloy and cast iron, not steel as would have been likely at those pressures. Its possible that they could have ended or merged before the sixties though. What you need is a 50 year old set of Kellys directories.

Rob

3. Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall New Member

The company was Billington and Newton of Longport, Staffs, who used to make lots of standard boiler mountings for both the GWR and the LMS. Think they finally went out of business sometime in the 1980's