If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Hello folks

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Anthony Coulls, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Rather than put this in the this is me section, I'll post here.

I'm Curator at Locomotion - the National Railway Museum at Shildon, and have been here for over 4 years. I am employed by the NRM's Knowledge and Collections Department and work closely with my colleagues at York. I will be here on and off as work allows to assist Peer and answer questions as best as I can.

I began my museum career at York 11 years ago, then spent a time away working at other transport and industrial museums before getting this job in 2003. I have always been a curator, dealing with stuff, but before then, have been a steam railway volunteer on the Talyllyn and Severn Valley Railways. I have been a loco man since 1990, so have practical steam and diesel and operation practice, whilst my daily work now includes loco operation and transport, even Support Crew.

Whilst my specialities are narrow gauge & industrial, I have over 70 vehicles to look after here - so a general feeling for railways!

Please be patient with me, I won't get time to look here every day, but will do what I can.

All the best
    Anthony

2. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Good to have you here again Anthony.

Chris

3. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more... :)

4. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Thank you for the introduction Anthony.

Having corrected your diesel list I wonder if I could suggest you use the forum as a search engine to collate info that the NRM either has missing / gaps in or which is actually in error and needs correction.

As a post-war baby I feel strongly that many of us who lived through the Modernisation Period have much information to offer but little apparent opportunity to give it or - more importantly - pass it on so that it isn't lost to future generations.

Is this an area worth considering ?

5. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Certainly, we don't know everything! Thanks for the offer.