If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Harrogate Gas Works Barber

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 242A1, Jul 8, 2014.

1. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

This unique survivor has not worked for many decades but should shortly be on the way to Alston after visiting what survives of the company that built it and being on display at the Great Yorkshire Show.
    Not every narrow gauge locomotive built in Leeds came from the Hunslet Engine Company. Thomas Green and Son built Barber in 1908, so it is only slightly newer than the WHR Russell, but has not worked since 1949. It will be interesting to see how this locomotive compares and contrasts with the products of the more famous and prolific builders.
    I must admit to being a great admirer of unusual, solitary survivors.

Martin Perry likes this.
  2. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Have just seen this on South Tynedale Railway's website. Well worth waiting for, though.

Delay for historic locomotive BARBER's return to traffic

Board members at Alston, Cumbria's scenic narrow gauge South Tynedale Railway are experiencing intense frustration and embarrassment in announcing that Green's of Leeds, ex- Harrogate Gasworks 0-6-2T BARBER will not be ready in time for its long-planned 'Return to Steam' Gala over the August Bank Holiday weekend next month. Delays at workshops over sourcing a few final but essential pieces of equipment will see BARBER incomplete until around the end of September after which running in and crew familiarisation will have to be scheduled.

Project Leader and South Tynedale Deputy Chairman Brian Craven expressed his sorrow and frustration at the delay - "We sent BARBER off for a complete overhaul in May 2012 with an Agreed schedule for its repair and return to Alston. We have used our built-in contingency following a few complications but our contractor assured us, as recently as a couple of weeks ago, that he was on track for our August deadline. My colleagues and I are embarrassed to announce that BARBER will not be back with us until later in the year".

Last month BARBER was displayed at the Great Yorkshire Show in Harrogate following an invitation from the Show President to return the historic Harrogate locomotive to its former home turf. It was well received by Harrogate people many of whom could remember it at work in the town. Many planned to travel to Alston for the August gala and see BARBER in steam once again.

Brian added "we are determined to mount a great gala weekend and our management team are now hard at work planning it out. It is never a straightforward job dealing with restoring our heritage but we are frustrated at this turn of events after so much effort, fund raising and planning".

Patrick Keef, managing director of Alan Keef Ltd, the contractor undertaking the overhaul of Barber said, "We deeply regret and apologise for the last minute delays which have resulted in it not being practical to make the long-proposed launch gala. A combination of unforeseen engineering issues encountered with this style of work, and the over- run of projects running in advance of Barber have conspired to produce this regrettable delay. The finished loco will be to our usual high standard, and is planned to be the centre-piece at Alan Keef Ltd's annual Open Day on 20th September. Once again I can only apologise to all involved with this unique project for the embarrassment caused"

3. cncmodeller

cncmodeller New Member

Industrial Modelmaker
    I'm glad in all these years nobody felt like trashing the low cab which of course is part of its history.

4. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Here it is folks, the news you've all been waiting for - albeit from a rather unusual source!

http://www.barbertitleys.co.uk/barber-steams-again/

She's looking absolutely magnificent - OK, it took a little longer than expected, but it would seem that Keef's have completed the work to their usual high standards. I look forward to seeing her in operation very soon - it's just a shame the South Tynedale is so far away from me!

Spamcan81 and gwernol like this.
  5. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Didn't realise that the South Tynedale used buckeye couplings

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    They aren't 'buckeyes' (Alliance couplers). They are Willison couplers; 3/4 size loco type by the look of them The two types are totally different in mode of operation and won't couple together. The Willison was the standard NCB coupler for underground use in the 1950's until a change to Allen couplers in the 1970's.

7. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    To the layman coupling enthusiast they look like buck-eyes.

I thought all AAR or AAR derivative couplings (which is what the Willison/SA3 are) were colloquially called "buckeyes" over here?

paullad1984 likes this.
  8. Steve

To someone who had to deal with both Willison and Alliance couplers in coal mines, the Willison was never referred to as a buckeye. In day-to-day operation it was/is a better coupler than the Alliance. I'm not sure how you can describe it as a derivative of the Alliance/AAR coupler as it works on different principles.

9. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    From what I can tell, although the function is different the principles are almost identical. The only difference appears to be that the AAR relies on the moving knuckle to take the load, while the Willison/SA3 interlocks the actual couplings themselves, the two heads being held in place by spring loaded plungers, which move aside to allow coupling or uncoupling but lock the coupled heads in place in normal operation

10. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Chaps, it's a coupling...
    Meanwhile, a very unique loco is returning to steam for the first time in over half a century. Now that is worth talking about.

11. Steve

Without a coupling, your loco isn't much use, though!

12. Steve

That's quite a fundamental difference!

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Here, here. Quite why people are getting all excited by a coupling is beyond me.

14. taliesin1999

taliesin1999 New Member

50420001.jpg I haven't seen any photos here of the recent gala, so here are a couple; considering how many years the 2 ex Harrogate locos spent in store it was quite special to see them together.

My first visit to the South Tynedale and it didn't disappoint - a very friendly line.

Peter Hayward
    View attachment 13668

Attached Files: