If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR water cranes

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Thompson1706, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't suppose anybody out there has a couple of spare platform water cranes, but has anybody tried to make reproductions. Would the the original patterns have survived ?
    We need these for Llangollen Station. Most of the original pipework is still in situ ,but in what state we don't know yet.
    We are also on the lookout for a corrugated iron shed , around 10' x 8' with a curved roof , to go onto the up platform at Llangollen to replace the current wooden shed.
    Any ideas would be welcome.

Bob.

2. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Bob. I'm assuming that what you want is something akin to the 'larger' version of GWR 'lamphut'. I don't know of any going spare. However, what recently arrived was a replica Anderson Shelter. I mention that in the terms that they are not currently in great demand;) and was unlikely to have been purchased off Ebay.:rolleyes: Therefore 'someone' knows 'somebody' who curves corrugated iron sheets. Try an email to the GWSR "FAO the War Weekend Organizing Group" for any contact details.

I've re-clad the smaller version of a lamp hut in the past. Once you've got the basic framework in place, it is just a case of attaching the sides and, when confronted with corners, using strips of timber + sash cramps + clamps, to 'form' the corrugated metal around said corner. It wasn't easy because, whilst the original corrugated material was Imperial based, the replacement was Metric waveform.:(

I seem to recall that there might be one of the 'larger' lamp huts at Broadway. Username "Breva" might be able to supply constructional details/measurements.

3. TseTT

TseTT New Member

The KWVR has had some reproduction Midland Rly lamp huts made by a local firm. They have the curved corrugated roof and sound like what you are looking for... ......Apart from them being a Midland item for a GWR line!!
    I hope this link shows a photo of one at Damems. Although that particular one is an original. http://www.summiteer.co.uk/2013/Jan13/KWVR/WW12.html

I think there is also a GWR crane laying in the grass at Keighley, condition poor. Whether it is a platform type, I know not.

4. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Well Swanage has a parachute water crane, which (hopefully) will become redundant when the Salisbury water tower and associated water treatment and extraction systems come online.

5. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

You mean a shed like this Didcot 31-03-2011 King Edward II 042.jpg

Attached Files:

6. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Wonder if we can have the originals back from the SVR!

The 6880 mob had some plans a few (8 or 9) years back for replacement of the old shed. Might be worth having a word with Q when you see him next Bob?

7. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Bob,
    The friends of Kidderminster Station have recently rebuilt a corogated bus garage. A bit big for what you want but they may be able to provide info

http://www.kfriends.org.uk/

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Failing that Have you considered Polish/ German cranes ? There not that different and could be "anglophiled"

9. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

I would suggest a possible elegant replacement for the wooden hut might be a GW pagoda style structure. For further info on how they're made try Bob or Mick at http://www.kfriends.org.uk/contact.htm

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Martin Perry likes this.
  10. Biggles633

Biggles633 New Member

Gas Engineer
    The Swindon and Cricklade Railway recently built a replica GW pagoda from scratch. Believe there are pictures on their website, curved corruagted sheet used.

11. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

If you fancy a GWR pagoda I believe a group on the GWSR are going to re-instate the halt at Hailes abbey which would involve a pagoda, I presume they'd be buying a replica rather than an original, maybe worth asking?

12. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Thinking of this, Llan engineering had plans to build one for Corwen, so might be worth asking them Bob. Also, thinking on about the pipe work for the water cranes on the platform, I'm sure it was all made good. My Dad and Pete Neve did a lot of work on it.