If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR Steam Railmotor

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by D6332found, Feb 14, 2017.

1. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Saw the railmotor at Didcot today. A lick o paint is sare needed! Otherwise well tho!

2. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

I have a vague, and possibly incorrect, recollection that the original plan was that it would have been re-painted chocolate and cream by now.

3. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

I've seen photos of it in steam being tested so I assume its nearly back in action.

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Though obviously in the case of the railmotor, very few of its mechanical parts are much more than 10 years old.

MuzTrem likes this.
  5. Charles Parry

Charles Parry Member

Railway centre's Facebook page confirms that 4144 has been passed for traffic: https://www.facebook.com/DidcotRailwayCentre/

6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I've just gone to that page and found the layout very confusing, with no mention at all of 4144. Yet another reason to avoid Facebook.

7. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

3rd posting on that Facebook page (under 'Posts') - didn't seem too hard to find for me? If in doubt, click 'Posts' on the left hand side and this clears away other videos, announcements etc. and just leaves the postings.

Hope this helps

Keith

GW 5972 likes this.
  8. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Agree that Facebook is profoundly unsatisfactory for anyone who isn't fully committed to it. Much better if this sort of news were on proper web pages. You could try this link:

https://www.facebook.com/DidcotRail...421647218065/1675813205778894/?type=3&theater

There's very little text/news (just that the boiler test was passed and insurance has cleared her for traffic), but there is a rather atmospheric photo. Other news is that work on the King is progressing and the next step is to get her Laser scanned for gauging.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Thanks for pointing me (and others) to where the news about 4144 can eb found.
    Where is that process carried out?

10. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No idea, sorry.

11. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

The Mid Norfolk Railway website has an announcement that the Railmotor will be visiting the line during this month (Sept).
    Don't tell me I'm the only person to have spotted that...........!!
    http://www.mnr.org.uk/

andalfi1 likes this.
  12. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Totally excellent run on new track at OOC 111
    It used to stop at nearby halts incl OOC but a bit before my time
    Excellent commentary on board- a credit to the GWS
    Ray

13. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

I have seen it. There was a number of problems with the mouldings. I am not sure how they did at Llangollen. Originally at Swindon works they would have been made of Brazilian Mahogany and then bedded in with White Lead paste often mixed with Linseed Putty. They were put on with lots and lots of panel pins spaced around 1.5 inches apart in a zig zag pattern and banged with a hammer + block of wood etc to get them to a tight fit. The pin heads are then knocked in a bit below the surface with a small punch. ( Bear in mind I have been taught how to do this by a very skilled Ex Swindon works coach builder)
    At Llangollen they seem to have screwed them on with not so many screws. Not sure what wood they used. For my own project we have used Utile for them instead of Brazilian Mahogany which is similar but easier to get. As a wood it is stable enough for mouldings but not too hard. We have also used frame sealant instead of the White Lead. You could screw some parts if is a particularly tight bend, or put in more pins. With long sections you make it slightly too long, say an extra 1mm and then 'spring' them in so it's a tight fit.
    Another mistake made on one section of the Railmotor I saw was that they had some joins in the plywood panelling that had no moulding over them. The reason for the mouldings is to cover over the joins in the panelling , So you need to arrange any joins where a moulding will eventually go on top. It might be the case that with 8 x 4 sheets that it is not big enough to avoid but in the bit I saw it could have been done, so the join will always show however much you fill/paint and cause a crack in the paint where the uncovered joint is.

I understand the mouldings were redone at Didcot and it repainted again, not sure exactly when.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017