If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR posts and finial

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, May 30, 2012.

1. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm looking for a quantity of GWR running in board posts, and their finials, to equip a GWR station.
    I have one finial as a sample. It is 20cm in diameter, and 22 cm tall.

Can anyone suggest where I can get these? I imagine other people must have had this problem.

Conversely, I could have the finial cast at a local foundry, but the cost of the mould would make casting only 4 examples expensive. Is there much demand for these?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

12-02-22 042.jpg

2. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Have you tried Steelway?

Steelway Rail: Heritage railways

From what I have heard they are not cheap but they are good - they were closely involved in the Moor Street rejuvenation/redevelopment.

3. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I'm aware off Steelway, but as you say, I believe they are expensive.
    What I'm hoping for is some form of self help. People extending their lines such as Llangollen or Gwili, or that have done in the past, must face the same problem. How did they solve it, or is it still pending and could we find a joint solution?
    As you can guess I'm new at this game, but it seems evident to me that pooling of knowledge and resources is of mutual benefit.
    These finials not only sat on top of GWR running in board posts, but also on top of the posts that held up the lavatory screens, and possibly even on top of signal posts (looking at pictures) although I can't tell if they are the same size.

4. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Similar finials in appearance although probably of quite a different diameter were used on signal posts on the LNER and LMS, but to my knowledge the GWR always used the elaborate 'ball and spike' finials on signal posts right until the end, as you can see in my avatar.

michaelh likes this.
  5. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

I'm guessing we at Llangollen will need a set of these for the new station at Corwen. But, as we're still after donations to raise £140k to finish the extension and build the temporary platform at Corwen, I can't see them taking top priority.

6. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    On a visit to Foxfield a couple of years ago I was asked to deliver a load of what appeared to be post cappings to Llangollen workshops. Perhaps the guy who makes them is a Foxfield member.

Bob.

7. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    From what I remember, the running-in boards on the Gwili are ply and attached to plain wooden posts. With the extension in the offing, I doubt replacing them will be high-priority, either. My only suggestion is to maybe compromise for the medium-term and get a wood-turner to make some. It'll certainly be cheaper, and as long as they are painted well, they have the potential to last for decades.

8. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

The only alternative I can suggest is that you go for something historically accurate rather than authentic for your station. Many GWR stations at the turn of the century had concrete posts holding the running in boards, and many retained these until closure. Some, such at Tetbury, had the running in boards enameled onto metal plates.

I dont know the line you are refering to or if they could be a possiblity there, but there are one alternative. Metal finials look rather better I have to admit.

9. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    We do have a pair of the said running-in board posts at Danycoed (originals). There are a few originals out there, might even be a few on a preserved line which someone might be willing to swap/sell?

10. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I have never actually been off the train at Danycoed, so I couldn't comment. As a matter of fact, I travelled over that stretch of line for the first time only two weeks ago...

11. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

12-05-05 014.jpg
    That is really what I'm after, either some for sale, or a pointer to where you can get them made (Didcot?) or else lots of people saying, hey, we need some of those too.

I'm not keen on wood or Aluminium. I have looked into turning them out of a billet of steel, but that is not a cheap alternative, alas.
    Above is a picture of the one finial I do have. The gloves give you an idea of the size.

12. PROCAST FOUNDRY LTD

PROCAST FOUNDRY LTD New Member

Evening

I've had a look round our store and unfortunately its not something we have a pattern for.
    What does the finial weigh and has your local foundry given you a price for pattern cost?

If you would like to - CONTACT US
    We would be more than happy to provide you with a quote.

cheers
    JIM

13. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Looking at the finial, it would not be the hardest thing to make a pattern for. The only thing you have not said is if it is solid or hollow.
    Solid is easy, but that will be a hefty lump of iron, so it will be costly. Hollow would require a bit more thinking about to make a core box up for it and how it would be moulded.
    I am fortunate in having a very good local foundry who dont mind doing one offs and will advise on some aspects of pattern making/moulding. I have recently made cored cyl and chimney patterns for a 7 1/4" gauge model of Dougal from the WLLR, which they have cast for me.

14. K14

K14 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Such examples as we have at Didcot are, I believe, salvaged originals.

We have a very good relationship with Derek Boyes who's made patterns for us for a multitude of things from the SRM grate sections to carriage door stops to wagon plates in a variety of materials. Give him a call on 01926 313756 (Leamington Spa), he's a very helpful chap & really knows his trade.

Pete S,
    C&W Dept.,
    GWS Didcot.

15. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Just to say how much I appreciate the replies and suggestions. :0 Keep 'em coming, this is looking more hopeful already.

16. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi,

I am the Heritage Manager for Steelway. We have the pattern for the required item but have not been approached for a price for this item on a stand alone basis. As with everything quality costs a little more but we always try, where possible to offer goods to suit the budget. For example we have just supplied the posts (with finials) plus letters to Gwili Railway. These were sent unfinished and unpainted as they have volunteers to assist with the manufacture of the running in board itself and the finishing of the posts and letters. Volunteers will always be less expensive than a company which has to stay in business.

As you stated, if you can get together and purchase a quantity of the tops at the same time we can always do something with the price. If you are buying one or two at a time the costs will increase.

Please, please talk to me so that I can advise you fully how we can make your purchase more economical. We of all people know we are not the cheapest on the market, but we do offer what the customer wants, not cheap imitations, we do not compromise on the quality.

We want to see the heritage railway industry prosper, after all its part of our business, but we are a business. There are many examples of cheaper, but we do hear of occasions where the jobs have to be done twice in a short space of time. This increases your costs overall. I was recently accosted by someone lambasting us for a job which has had to be redone, I was embarrassed. I dug around only to find that although we had in fact quoted the job several years before we did not get it due to cost and they had it made elsewhere. Within 4 years the item had failed and they are trying to get funds to have it redone. What a headache for them.

Anyway, I am available to talk through any projects were we can add value. Do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards

Steve Taylor 07710 829587

michaelh likes this.
  17. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your post.
    My original request was 2 years ago, so I have sorted myself out with some castings of the finials in the meantime.
    The station in question is Broadway. We have contact with David Redfern but you are welcome to visit as well.
    Best regards,
    Jo Roesen