If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWR Auto Train Controls/Working

Discussion in 'Locomotive M.I.C.' started by david1984, Dec 5, 2009.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Can someone explain how a GWR Autotrain is controlled from the coach end ?, i know the link is mechanical but how it is achieved is what im curious about.

Also what does and doesnt the driver have control over in the coach ?, i believe the vac brake can be applied but not released, and i presume the likes of injectors would be the firemans job.

2. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The driver (when in the coach driving compartment) can control the following:
    a.loco regulator valve via mechanical linkage
    b.brake valve (application only)
    c.whistle
    d.warning gong
    e.ATC (GWR type)
    f. Sand

All other controls are down to the fireman who remains under the drivers instructions by means of various bell codes.

The regulator is through a system of rodding under the coach/loco which twists & links directly onto the reg handle which can be coupled/uncoupled to suit. Special links between the loco & coach are necessary to allow for the relative movement between vehicles.

Only senior foremen would be used on the loco due to the need for them to take increased responsibility when the driver was at the opposite end.

3. baldric

baldric Member

There is also a special warning device to remind crews to disconnect the whistle wire, if you forget the whistle blows for a second because the wire goes tight, then it snaps, then you go "oh bugger" or similar before getting a new wire!

As a fireman it is a bit odd to be on the footplate on your own and see the regulator moving the first time it happens, even though you know it is going to happen.

Hopefully we will be doing auto working at Didcot next May, having been one of the few places that could do it for years and at the moment we can't as none of the operational engines are auto-fitted.

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks for that guys, is the cut off left at a certain point or is the Fireman notching up and down as he believes the driver would want ?.

5. baldric

baldric Member

I believe the fireman would be expected to notch up/down as requred, if you look here http://www.railmotor93.org/railmotorfeatures.html#signs there are details about the bell codes for railmotors, the same codes were used in auto working because the auto coaches could be used with auto coaches. as you will see there are no codes for notching up/down so the fireman would do it as he felt needed or previously intructed by the driver.

6. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    It is also quite interesting watching an Autotrain getting coupled up if you get the chance its well worth seeing

7. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Web developer
    If memory serves me right the Chalford autotrain working was the Top Link job for firemen at Gloucester Horton Road emphasising the need for experienced people.

Steve